navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Temp controlled water circulation pump.  (Read 1603 times)
BARRAQUILLO

« on: January 30, 2018, 10:47:38 AM »

hi,
i am in southern Spain. Despite the hot temperature, even during the height of summer the swimming pool water could benefit from a temperature boost. My idea is quite simple. i will run a length of 25mm black water pipe from the pool to the roof where a long coil of pipe will allow the sun to heat the water inside and return it directly  to the pool. The sun is very  hot and the water that is being sucked out of the pool will get to almost scalding very quickly. my problem is : A/ finding a pump that will be capable of sucking water from the pool to the roof[flat roof]. the head is approx 3mtrs with a total run from pool to coil of 8 mtrs. the return is the same in reverse. i assume that i  should be able to benefit from some siphon effect in the return.
                                   B/ find a way of controlling the switch on and off of the pump as the water is heated. a thermostatic control is preferable to a timer switch. if a probe is used how and where should it be installed.
thanks in advance for any suggestions
eabadger

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 11:01:37 AM »

my mate near estepona does something similar but done by thermo syphone so no pump needed.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
BARRAQUILLO

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 12:35:02 PM »

so how does that work. what is the set-up
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 04:45:38 PM »

You could use a solar powered 12volt pump but the pipeline would have to be totally air bubble free.
               If somehow the swimming pool was 10 mtrs above the roof or the black piping,,then the cold water would run down into the pipeline and the warm water would rise up it,,heating the pool in the process but with the warm water above the pool,,any movement to circulate would be slow,, very slow..I recon you will need a pump.
   You could link a digital thermo switch at the highest point in the pipeline and connect it to the pump. The pump needs to be well down the line or it might fry if run dry.
                                               Biff.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Westie

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 06:05:51 PM »

You probably already have a pump, just tee off the filtration pump output and feed the heating loop from there.

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
rogeriko

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 09:38:13 PM »

I tried that on my roof in greece, it dosnt work. Black pipe filled with stationary water does indeed get hot but as soon as there is a flow the heat output is negligable, I even covered my black pipe with perspex an a coil about 4 meters across took all day just to heat 200 litres. You need to find some flat panel solar heaters made from metal with a glass front. If you had about 6 large panels mounted below the pool or at least with tops of the panels level with the pool then they would thermosyphon. Flat solar panels can give you about 1kw of heat. (In the sahara desert the suns energy is about 1kw per square meter.) You need at least 20 or 30kw of heat to warm up a pool noticably. You would do much much better by covering your pool with an insulating bubble type floating cover and ONLY opening it when you want to use it. This stops your water evaporating which is the main heat loss. Of course if you want to look at your nice litup pool at night then it will be cold. I used to work with pools in Greece and now install heating systems for pools in the UK.

A good idea that didnt work.

* pipeplasticsmall.jpg (116.99 KB, 2560x1920 - viewed 195 times.)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: