navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Draught proofing metal pivot windows  (Read 1865 times)
Anniemac

« on: January 21, 2018, 04:55:06 PM »

My son lives in a rented flat with double glazed windows.  The windows pivot to open. It is really draughty. When I looked more closely I can see daylight when the windows are closed.  The draught is where they open.

Normal window film won’t work because the mechanism would be in the way.

And foam draught excluder won’t work because they pivot.

So I wondered about clear ‘weatherproof’ tape. Preferably not too wide because there isn’t much room. There is one I have seen in America but I am not sure if they sell it in the Uk. I had tape for my poly tunnel which was weather proof.

Has anyone tried using tape.

I will need to take it off at the end of the tenancy but I think most tape will loosen if you warm it up with a hairdryer.

Any ideas. Many thanks.
Countrypaul

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 05:15:44 PM »

Do you mean something like: https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/white-tape-printed-3-colours-polyprop-solvent-48mm-x-132m.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0IfUkcjp2AIVr7_tCh1epAr6EAQYBCABEgImd_D_BwE (first one I found on google)
Anniemac

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 05:26:14 PM »

Yes. But will it come off when he has give the flat back. I wondered if there was something that would reliably come off. Thanks.
guydewdney

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 06:48:51 PM »

We have had custom-made draught proof seals made. Sounds expensive actually it's a DIY job. Run a bead of glazing silicone around the frame. Using a spray water bottle with fairy liquid in it wet the window. Then close the window 98%. The real skill comes then in cutting off the excess silicone which sticks to everything as we all know. The guy doing it for us charges £12 a window. About an hour or two later the seal is finished and dry and the window can be done closed. Has made an amazing difference to our 100 year old iron framed windows.

Pic of wheel on day 1
7.2kW Waterwheel and 9.8kW PV
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 11:33:59 PM »

I've just bought a box of this in Lidl, for £1.99:

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Anniemac

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 10:12:33 PM »

Thanks for all your responses. We used scotch tape in the end! The frames are pretty rubbish. If it comes off I might use poly tunnel repair tape.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: