navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ground Fault on my Bergey?  (Read 905 times)
Pigsywigsy

« on: February 06, 2018, 08:11:11 PM »

Evening all, my Bergey was down to get the blades modified, it went back up on Friday afternoon, noticed on Saturday morning that my generation meter was flashing when the turbine wasn't turning, when I took a look at the Powersync II and the online monitoring page both had a value of a steady -2000w, first time I've seen a -ve value on there. Installers were out today and have eliminated a few things but we've not yet found the cause, suggestions welcome please?

Ta,
Drew

Worcester Bosch Greenstore 11, 280l DHW + 150l UFH
16x Sharp NU245, Power One Aurora pvi3.6
Bergey Excel 10kw, PowersyncII, EMMA, 1250l Thermal Store
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 06:03:44 AM »

Water in head whilst it was down? Perhaps needs a good blow to dry out?

Good luck Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pigsywigsy

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 06:16:42 AM »

Thanks Paul, it was only down briefly when the blades came off and then back on, unusually for here both days were dry and sunny, it was raised back up for the time inbetween blade-less.

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 09:29:46 AM »

I wish I could help,
                     This is a new one on me, I wonder is there a stray wire trapped under a brush on the slip rings,?
                        Bergey and Y/S are first cousins (so I am told) and above 3kw there are six cables to the head rather than the ordinary 3phase, the three extra deal with the motorised furling.
      If there is a load of -2,000watt you need to get it disconnected as soon as possible. There might just be a glitch in the controller but you cannot take a chance.
                                                         Biff
       Or as Paul says, There could be water in the windings that got in while it was lowered.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:32:14 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pigsywigsy

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »

Update on this issue, turbine is now back on but the issue remains the same, when the wind gets up its producing but when the wind dies down it's back into -ve values. Bergey have been consulted but we've no resolution yet.
Any chance when there's  -ve readings that it's actually drawing power from the grid (would need to isolate every other electrical device in the house to prove this 🙄).

Pigsywigsy

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 10:18:24 AM »

Very windy here today, Bergey going flat out, would usually be peaking at 12kw in these winds but it's maxing out at just over 7kw, another symptom of the fault but still awaiting a fix 🤔

biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 01:22:13 PM »

Hi PW,
        It sounds like you have a phase disconnected. i would lower it as soon as possible and get it fixed before it gets damaged permanently.
  It might only be a cable damaged but you have to remember that it depends on the 3 phases to control it in high winds as well as the furling.
 I would not touch the brake if it is a shorting out one..If it is a manual one then fine but if you short it out it will not stop but instead start to heat up the windings.
 I don,t know about you,,but we have another humdinger of a blow on the way. Be careful.
                                                 Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Pigsywigsy

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 02:01:25 PM »

Thanks Biff, that's a good suggestion, would explain the lower output, I don't apply the brake, it gets left in freerun if it's not on. Awaiting a revisit for further investigations.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: