navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car tax will only be 0pa for true EVs from 1st April  (Read 2226 times)
TheFairway
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2018, 08:04:06 AM »

I agree about the 'luxury' car tax. At present, BEV is more expensive so at very least, the 40k limit should be on the actual sale price, including any discount/grants but iirc its on the 'windscreen' price which wont include the 5k (or whatever it is now) bev grant.

A Tesla Model 3 will very likely come in >40k by the time you put the (currently mandatory) extended battery and upgrade pack on it. Its cars like Model 3 that is going to start opening up bev to the masses as it is at the leading edge of an 'affordable' bev that will give the range that majority of people will view as far enough in all weather conditions for them to seriously consider for their main vehicle.
brackwell

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2018, 08:20:54 AM »

There was a period  in about mid 70s when we had purchase tax on luxury goods such as yachts,new cars and others. It crippled the boating industry. Lasted for about 1yr if  memory is correct.  But that was not the first time as i believe it was around in the 50/60s but i was only a boy.

Ken
camillitech

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2018, 08:29:23 AM »

There was a period  in about mid 70s when we had purchase tax on luxury goods such as yachts,new cars and others. It crippled the boating industry. Lasted for about 1yr if  memory is correct.  But that was not the first time as i believe it was around in the 50/60s but i was only a boy.

Ken

Purchase tax was introduced during the war Ken, initially at 33% then 66% and by 1945 it rose to 100%!!!! it then went up and down with various governments before being replaced by VAT when we joined the EU.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
marshman

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2018, 11:24:08 AM »

I'm old enough to be really pee'd off about 'car tax' that 10% tax for vehicles with glass behind the drivers door - pee'd off because I loved the Toyota Hilux especially the US versions, but the UK wasn't importing extra cabs, and double cabs, because they attracted car tax, whereas the standard short cab didn't.

PS, when did car tax end, it must be several decades now?

Was that not just the VAT? it is levied on all vehicles but only reclaimable on vans and pick ups, though now it is reclaimable on new hire cars too. Must have been abolished on 'crew cabs' in the early 90's as many of the local fishermen here used to import them, claim the VAT back and then get in trouble. Eventually it went to court and the customs and excise saw sense. A friend of mine argued, "show me another 'car' that you can put a ton of bait in the back of".

Cheers, Paul

Hiya, I don't think so, unless I'm going crazy. I've tried googling 10% purchase tax on cars, but I don't think the internet is old enough.  Grin  All it gives me is current VED stuff.

My recollection is that cars (all vehicles with side glass behind the drivers window) had a 10% tax when you bought them, a true 'car tax', and different to the road fund licence / vehicle excise duty. Back then I think general VAT was 7.5%, but memory is failing me.

M, you are not going crazy. There was a specific car purchase tax in place from 1940 until 1973. After this it was replaced with "car tax" and "VAT". At one point it was 66.67%  !.  In the 1960's it was lower at 25 to 33.33%.  It applied only to cars, there was a lower tax for commercial vehicles. So a popular "dodge" was to buy a "car derived" van and then fit side windows and rear seats to avoid the tax.  I have a Standard Ten 6cwt van modified in this way.

This extract explains it all.  (nothing at all to do with Road Tax (Vehicle Excise Duty))

Roger
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 11:27:45 AM by marshman » Logged

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
M

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2018, 12:12:33 PM »

M, you are not going crazy. There was a specific car purchase tax in place from 1940 until 1973. After this it was replaced with "car tax" and "VAT". At one point it was 66.67%  !.  In the 1960's it was lower at 25 to 33.33%.  It applied only to cars, there was a lower tax for commercial vehicles. So a popular "dodge" was to buy a "car derived" van and then fit side windows and rear seats to avoid the tax.  I have a Standard Ten 6cwt van modified in this way.

This extract explains it all.  (nothing at all to do with Road Tax (Vehicle Excise Duty))

Roger

Thanks, I was close to scheduling a CAT scan.

That article says it dropped to 8% in 1974, but not when it ended. I have in my mind that it was the late 80's, but that seems unlikely now.

Perhaps I've got the date wrong as I was looking into importing a US pick up or car in the late 80's, early 90's and the varying taxes where horrific. My main bug bear was that you had to add all the shipping costs to the car purchase cost, before applying car import tax, and then VAT on top again. Tax on tax. AAAAhhhhh.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
marshman

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2018, 01:21:16 PM »

Roger

That article says it dropped to 8% in 1974, but not when it ended. I have in my mind that it was the late 80's, but that seems unlikely now.

Perhaps I've got the date wrong as I was looking into importing a US pick up or car in the late 80's, early 90's and the varying taxes where horrific. My main bug bear was that you had to add all the shipping costs to the car purchase cost, before applying car import tax, and then VAT on top again. Tax on tax. AAAAhhhhh.

5th line down "abolished April 1973"

As I said it was replaced by "car tax" and VAT.  The "car tax" was abolished in the 1990's

The Finance Act of 1972 abolished it: starts at page 36

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1972/41/pdfs/ukpga_19720041_en.pdf

revised in Finance act 1983

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1983/53/contents

Abolished 1992

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/58/contents/enacted

I need to get a life !

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
M

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2018, 03:07:52 PM »

Roger

5th line down "abolished April 1973"

As I said it was replaced by "car tax" and VAT.  The "car tax" was abolished in the 1990's

The Finance Act of 1972 abolished it: starts at page 36

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1972/41/pdfs/ukpga_19720041_en.pdf

revised in Finance act 1983

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1983/53/contents

Abolished 1992

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/58/contents/enacted

I need to get a life !

Many thanks again, the abolished 1992 fits some of my thoughts, though clearly it was not what it used to be by then. Cheers.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: