navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Car tax will only be 0pa for true EVs from 1st April  (Read 1394 times)
RIT

« on: February 13, 2018, 07:35:26 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-5385287/New-car-tax-bands-bite-April-2017-vehicles.html

The government seems keen to focus on EVs and keeping the tax stream from car tax going for as long as possible.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
fourfootfarm

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 07:42:02 PM »

Thanks for calling it vehicle tax and not road tax. Bug bear of mine!  bike

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
RIT

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 08:14:26 PM »

Thanks for calling it vehicle tax and not road tax. Bug bear of mine!  bike

I'm not old enough to remember it as a road fund tax Smiley

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Tiff

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:15:55 PM »

How about Vehicle Excise Duty?
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 07:45:22 AM »

I seem to recall 'Road fund license' at some stage of my yoof.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
M

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 08:18:00 AM »

Thanks for calling it vehicle tax and not road tax. Bug bear of mine!  bike

I'm old enough to be really pee'd off about 'car tax' that 10% tax for vehicles with glass behind the drivers door - pee'd off because I loved the Toyota Hilux especially the US versions, but the UK wasn't importing extra cabs, and double cabs, because they attracted car tax, whereas the standard short cab didn't.

PS, when did car tax end, it must be several decades now?

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
camillitech

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 08:51:56 AM »

I'm old enough to be really pee'd off about 'car tax' that 10% tax for vehicles with glass behind the drivers door - pee'd off because I loved the Toyota Hilux especially the US versions, but the UK wasn't importing extra cabs, and double cabs, because they attracted car tax, whereas the standard short cab didn't.

Was that not just the VAT? it is levied on all vehicles but only reclaimable on vans and pick ups, though now it is reclaimable on new hire cars too. Must have been abolished on 'crew cabs' in the early 90's as many of the local fishermen here used to import them, claim the VAT back and then get in trouble. Eventually it went to court and the customs and excise saw sense. A friend of mine argued, "show me another 'car' that you can put a ton of bait in the back of".

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Tigger

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 09:59:14 AM »

>>Car tax will only be 0pa for true EVs from 1st April

But even a true EV like a Tesla S registered 1st April onward will pay VED because they are over the 40k threshold......

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
M

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2018, 11:09:27 AM »

Was that not just the VAT? it is levied on all vehicles but only reclaimable on vans and pick ups, though now it is reclaimable on new hire cars too. Must have been abolished on 'crew cabs' in the early 90's as many of the local fishermen here used to import them, claim the VAT back and then get in trouble. Eventually it went to court and the customs and excise saw sense. A friend of mine argued, "show me another 'car' that you can put a ton of bait in the back of".

Cheers, Paul

Hiya, I don't think so, unless I'm going crazy. I've tried googling 10% purchase tax on cars, but I don't think the internet is old enough.  Grin  All it gives me is current VED stuff.

My recollection is that cars (all vehicles with side glass behind the drivers window) had a 10% tax when you bought them, a true 'car tax', and different to the road fund licence / vehicle excise duty. Back then I think general VAT was 7.5%, but memory is failing me.

The Hilux extracab had a slightly shorter bed, and a 6inch by 18inch (guessing here) portrait window to make the cab bigger. The dual cab had back doors and windows. With a longer cab and short bed, they looked like Tonka toys, and I really wanted one, but they were too rare, grey imports and expensive, then I changed my mind slightly and bought a Firebird instead.  wackoold

PS - The giant 'Screaming Chicken' from the hood is hanging on the wall in front of me now, though the car moved on in 1992.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 11:11:58 AM by M » Logged

camillitech

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2018, 04:03:34 PM »

Methinks you will find that the 10% 'car tax' or 'purchase tax' was in fact VAT. The name changed in when we joined the EEC as it was then. Like the  'road tax' and 'vehicle excise duty' people just kept using the same name. And yes, the tax did change to 8% for a while before going up to 17.5% or was it 12.5%. I have a 'memory like a hen'. It was however always VAT despite the name.

Cheers P

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
M

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2018, 05:05:34 PM »

Methinks you will find that the 10% 'car tax' or 'purchase tax' was in fact VAT. The name changed in when we joined the EEC as it was then. Like the  'road tax' and 'vehicle excise duty' people just kept using the same name. And yes, the tax did change to 8% for a while before going up to 17.5% or was it 12.5%. I have a 'memory like a hen'. It was however always VAT despite the name.

Cheers P

Hiya, sorry but still not convinced, I recall VAT going from 7.5% (I think) to 15% to 17.5% to 20%, but I'm specifically recalling a 10% tax you paid when you bought a new car. I think it ended in the late 80's, possibly when VAT went to 15%, but I'm sure it was a 'car tax'. Google is determined to tell me all there is to know about VED!

fourfootfarm

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2018, 05:41:54 PM »

Its been car (or vehicle) tax since 1937 apparently.

Hopefully the pound won't be getting so catastrophic that I have a 40,000 push bike. Though I bet Dan B would tempted if the right Lotus came up!

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
RIT

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 06:01:19 PM »

Its been car (or vehicle) tax since 1937 apparently.

Hopefully the pound won't be getting so catastrophic that I have a 40,000 push bike. Though I bet Dan B would tempted if the right Lotus came up!

From Wikipedia
The Road Fund was a British Government fund designated to pay for the building and maintenance of the United Kingdom road network. Its income came originally from vehicle excise duty, until that ceased to be hypothecated for roads use in 1936, and then from government grants. It was created by the Roads Act 1920 and Finance Act 1920, and was wound up in the Miscellaneous Financial Provisions Act 1955.

The Road Fund is notable as one of the few beneficiaries of hypothecated taxation in British history, and is the root of a popular misconception that vehicle excise duty (especially when referred to as road tax) is still hypothecated. Between 1920 and 1936 the vehicle licence (tax disc) was officially known as the "Road Fund Licence", a term which is still in colloquial use today.

phoooby

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2018, 02:26:02 AM »

Whatever the tax is called, we know it is not all spend on roads like it should be. I am glad they have ended 0 for PHEV's as they need to encourage BEV. PHEV may have potential for zero emissions in town but there is not the tech in place to police so nothing to stop running the ICE in an urban area. I think air quality is overtaking climate change as a reason for the move to EV. Personally, I am not bothered what the reason, CC, air quality, balance of payment, noise; for urban areas it is difficult to argue against an EV and there is no current plausible means of ensuring a PHEV or other hybrid is not burning FF. The extra "luxury car tax" of 320 pa which applies to Tesla, I am less supportive of. I think this should be applied to 40k+ cars but not EV's (a speced i3 would also have this tax). I bought my car purchase forward to avoid this tax so shot me down if you want. It seems to me to be at odds as we all know EV's are more expensive due to batteries so to tax on price despite low emissions and particulates seems to be a tax on people trying to do the right thing.

6kw WBS, Nissan Leaf 24 (gone), Tesla Model S, Nissan env-200.
camillitech

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2018, 08:01:40 AM »

Car tax ended when Britain joined the EU and they changed the name to VAT 'car tax' has never been levied on pickups with rear windows be they fixed or in doors. Even in the US market 'extracabs' and four door pickups did not appear until 1978 (long after 'car tax' disappeared). I worked for Toyota from August 1972 until Elvis died and never saw a HiLux (or any other pickup) with rear doors until long after that. So yes you are perfectly correct, their was a dedicated 'car tax' back in the day but it was never levied on crew cabs, that was VAT. This I know for a fact cos many of my mates got hammered by the VAT man after purchasing them though some did argue their case and won.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: