navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shortage of CO2 leads to beer rationing.  (Read 771 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« on: June 26, 2018, 09:23:16 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/26/beer-rationed-as-uks-food-grade-carbon-dioxide-runs-low

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Philip R

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 10:03:21 PM »

There are far more important uses for CO2. Carbonation of recycled bitter is not one of them, in my book. ( The treasury could lose a massive amount in duties on alcohol.) More important is the food industry, i.e. food production. 

Another important user are the EDF AGR Reactors. The loss of part of the 7.5 GW base load would not go unnoticed. Unlikely to happen as gas stocks have been maintained on sites since the 1984 miners strike. Before they run out of gas, the lager drinkers will have become teetotal, and the UK run dry of southern fried chicken and Nuggets.
Also, maybe by then, someone in Defra may have awoken to the fact that there might be a problem in the food chain.

The real sadness in all of this, is that nowhere in the UK, is any thermal powerplant having its flue gases scrubbed for trial sequestration. The quantities of gas captured could have been easily processed into food grade product, and sold into the market.

A lot has been said of the shutdown of the producers plant. Which produce ammonia for fertilizers of Bio ethanol plants for motor fuel ( Increasingly so).
The fertilizer plants are on summer outage, compounded by dearer natural gas and cheaper imports ( Presumably from Qatar). What seems to be lacking in the system is any central storage of bulk CO2. No nead if all the producer plants are in operation and a surplus of gas exists. Boils, or should I say, sublime, down to cost. No one wants to pay as it would raise the costs.

Philip R 

Philip R
AndrewE

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 10:15:56 PM »

In fact the sale of real ale will be completely unaffected.  That's what really matters!
RIT

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2018, 12:26:26 AM »

In fact the sale of real ale will be completely unaffected.  That's what really matters!

It depends if the CO2 shortage does hit the drinks market and reduces the amount of lager and Kegged beer available we can expect there to be a major issue for real ale brewers as they will not be able to increase their output to cope with the extra demand. Both the brewing cycle and availability of the ingredients will limit production. Unlike many lagers, they can't just go and purchase additional rice and/or potatoes.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 06:33:05 AM »

Along with Andrew E doing my bit by drinking real ale. Visited friends in Sussex over the weekend 🍺 at 4.75 a pint locally 2.50 blimey.
skyewright

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 02:30:38 PM »

On Radio Scotland yesterday there was an item about the shortage of CO2 is also hitting abattoirs which (in Scotland at least) apparently use CO2 to 'stun' pigs & poultry.

A web search found this related BBC news item: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44600298

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
dan_b

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 03:15:49 PM »

Well I'll be off to my local tonight then and drown myself in the (relatively speaking) locally brewed Lager before it all runs out.  Camden Hells, which sells for 5.50 a pint

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 04:24:16 PM »

You need a mortgage to have a pint! 

That is nearly at Swedish prices.
dimengineer

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 06:42:54 PM »

On Radio Scotland yesterday there was an item about the shortage of CO2 is also hitting abattoirs which (in Scotland at least) apparently use CO2 to 'stun' pigs & poultry.

A web search found this related BBC news item: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44600298

A lot of animal research facilites use CO2 also to euthanise animals at the end of the experiment. CAS (Controlled Atmosphere Stun).

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
RIT

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 08:05:27 PM »

So it seems to start

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/06/27/biggest-pub-chain-hit-beer-shortage-meaning-top-brands-may/

The highlight at the moment seems to be summed up as

Wetherspoon has admitted some of its pubs had been temporarily left without John Smith and Strongbow, both made by Heineken.

So no great loss there then   hysteria

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
AndrewE

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 08:47:30 PM »

Along with Andrew E doing my bit by drinking real ale. Visited friends in Sussex over the weekend 🍺 at 4.75 a pint locally 2.50 blimey.
I could hardly believe my ears when I was charged 2.10 for a pint of Hobgoblin in Bingley today...  Unfortunately I only had time for one!
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2018, 06:38:53 AM »

Selfless research AndrewE.
Always prefer the 'boys bitter' myself, I think I would need a nap after a strong beer like that. hysteria
AndrewE

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2018, 12:46:09 PM »

Me too, normally.  The other two options were temporarily unavailable but I wasn't going to complain (or drink fizz instead.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: