navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: inverter:charger demistified  (Read 5586 times)
dodgy rog

« on: March 11, 2008, 09:06:27 PM »

hello i think i have a good question regarding the above, it seams to me that you can not purchase a quality charger of say 80W output for less than say£950 ,and if you go a little further and spend £1300 you can get a trusinewave inverter and 70w charger top quality

the question is with a peace of kit like this, same as what billi has i think? does the inverter smooth out the current before it enters the charger, perhaps not as i am feeling more silly all the time as i wright this, anyway i am concerned that the current coming from my yanma clone genni is dirty or not too smooth? all my other rechargeable battery gadgets do not seem too like it?

thanks too all for previous posts on inverters from these i have learnt not to go near anything but a true sine wave model , I'm still deciding whether to light on AC or DC and what to do for appliances TV sat amplification of music from laptop etc,
the laptop seems good with 24V power pack, and it seems that a fridge is perhaps better on gas,

AC or DC the never ending question.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 10:06:50 PM by dodgy rog » Logged
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 11:16:38 PM »

Hi DR

I'm sure if you get a PSW inverter/charger it will be fine, I don't think the charging side is that fussy about it's input, There's a few things my single cyl Lister won't run but the inverter will run everything, but like Martin said they're all different Roll Eyes but I'm sure it could be sorted.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SMA SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 9kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Bob

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 06:39:52 AM »

Good Morning Paul

DR,

Having had both PSW and SW inverters I would recommend the PSW and KiPoint as a manufacturer.  I have had one of theirs on 24/7 for over 3 years.  Have a look at their ebay shop.

It's not what you make, it's what you use that counts!
heatherw

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 10:41:17 PM »

Bob, which model have you got?  Has it any features you found you don't need?

Seeds are planted.  Waiting.  Eagerly. Thanks.
Shay

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 11:49:36 PM »

Ordered the Kipoint 3000w pure sine wave inverter last week. Hard to beat the price.
The 3000w UPS version is cheaper than the standard for some reason.
Bob

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008, 08:22:08 AM »

Hi Heather

Glad you got the seeds.

My Kipoint is several years old.  It does a nominal 3.5kw and I'm damned if I can remember the model number.  I know they don't currently make it.  When I'm passing the battery shed I will have a look.

stephend

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 09:03:42 AM »

I've been looking at the SMA sunny island's recently and they have a number of really nice features:

- Connect power sources on the AC side, so you can draw more power during peak production and are not limited by the inverter power rating.
- Automatic generator start when batteries reach a preset level
- 3 Stage battery charging (you can program the inverter to charge for a specific type of battery too)
- Automatic generator start when the inverter has to shutdown if it overheats
- 95% efficient
- Uses 22W when idle and < 4 when on standby
- Comes in a bright yellow case to match all the other bright yellow objects in your shed Wink

It is a bit dear though: just under twice the price of a kipoint.

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 10:00:28 AM »

It is a bit dear though: just under twice the price of a kipoint

The SMA is about four times the price of the kipoint  i think  Roll Eyes Tongue

billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Bob

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 12:26:19 PM »

I really am impressed by the Kipiont range.  CPC in the UK used to sell them and could offer better prices because of bulk shipping.

stephend

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 01:43:01 PM »

3000 Euro for a 4kW SMA: http://shop.fotovoltaikshop.de/268_sma-sunny-island-4248.html
1600 Euro for a 4kW KiPoint: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4000W-Solar-Inverter-Solar-Controller-Charger-24V_W0QQitemZ180234414324QQihZ008QQcategoryZ9895QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 02:06:24 PM »

Sorry Stephend

i thought we are talking about the Kipoint  3kw inverter  Tongue

billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Shay

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008, 05:11:49 PM »

The Kipoint 3kw inverter I ordered works out about €1000 including VAT,duty and shipping.
stephend

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008, 06:15:35 PM »

Ah indeed!  2600 for the 3kw SMA, quite a difference!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: