navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cavity Wall insulation 65mm cavity  (Read 1347 times)
Bikerzz

« on: March 24, 2018, 06:34:50 PM »

I have a 1967 detached house in Warwickshire. I have a 65mm cavity that's unfilled. It's not open to driving  rain so really would like to fill the cavity. Am I daft to risk  it with all the horror stories  even nowadays?  What's the best to look for? Beads? Blown fibre?
dimengineer

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 11:31:45 AM »

We had our 1920s West London Detached house done. Blown beads. Generally fine. The thing to watch for is rising damp - often the bottom of the cavity is clogged with fallen mortar etc. We had ours cleaned out, at some cost, years ago.
The other thing is, surprisingly, condensation. Your house will not breathe as well, as the beads do stop all/most of the draughts inherent in a cavity. So our house is now borderline "damp" and we do have to be a bit careful in managing the house moisture.

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
Barrie

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 01:30:05 PM »

1985 Semi done in 2011 with beads, instant difference to internal wall surface temperature and marked reduction in gas consumption. I'd have to go back to the actual numbers to confirm the percentage.

I'm really pleased that I had access to a thermal imaging camera as the side wall of the house has a garage attached and although they had injected from ground level all along the wall, at first floor level they hadn't been onto the roof of the garage. This meant there was a roughly V shaped area of the master bedroom wall that had been missed, together with a much smaller area over a window to the bathroom.

No quibbles, they came back and did it but the ordinary man on the Clapham omnibus would never know.

Milton Keynes
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 07:33:45 AM »

Windy wet Wales. A definite no go, many were fitted numerous problems. We made initial inquiries, suppliers, warm Wales etc were unambiguous in saying it was a bad idea.
Bikerzz

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 03:09:53 PM »

Oki Windows triple glazed to be replaced in a month. Any recommended installs around Warwick? Will want this done after windows are done.

Cheers

Sheldon
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: