navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum software  (Read 6458 times)
MeatyFool

« on: March 29, 2018, 09:00:13 PM »

Are forum mods aware that the Smf forum software they are running is no longer going to be updated?

Meatyfool..
RIT

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2018, 10:20:36 PM »

Are forum mods aware that the Smf forum software they are running is no longer going to be updated?

Meatyfool..

I get the feeling that the rule is - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" as 1.1.20 was released back at the end of 2014.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Antman
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 07:33:52 AM »

Thanks MF.
Although updates are an Admin job rather than the responsibility of Mods, it caused Martin so much aggro with bits not working properly post update that I suspect the 'if it ain't broke' philosophy is best  signofcross
Antman

20 x 47mm, 172 l cylinder, Heat Dump, 15 x Sanyo HIT-H250E, SB4000TL,  Nestor Martin IQ13 WBS
DIY Solar System Support at http://www.handyantman.co.uk/antman.html
All support is voluntary and free of charge. I'm not employed by Navitron so responses may not be same-day
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 08:41:30 AM »

I do recall certain attempts to alter certain settings,
                                     It was with some difficulty that we got back to default. or almost.
                                        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
marshman

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 01:40:24 PM »

If it is no longer going to be updated will they still issue security updates?  This was an issue on another forum that used vbulliten forum software. They were effectively forced to upgrade to help prevent "security" attacks and potential loss of data (user names, emails, passwords etc.)  Any course of (in)action probably needs to be carefully considered - especially with the forth coming introduction of the GDPR in May.

Roger

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
RIT

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2018, 02:42:30 PM »

If it is no longer going to be updated will they still issue security updates?  This was an issue on another forum that used vbulliten forum software. They were effectively forced to upgrade to help prevent "security" attacks and potential loss of data (user names, emails, passwords etc.)  Any course of (in)action probably needs to be carefully considered - especially with the forth coming introduction of the GDPR in May.

Roger

The software writers a few days ago made their position regarding on-going support for 1.x version of the product clear - no more support. But saying that, there has been no updates to 1.1.20 since Oct 2014 and the last 1.1.x release was back in April 2015 with the 1.1.21 release.

The current release chain is based off version 2.x releases and any update may involve a lot of work depending on what mods have been added to the site.

In terms of GDPR just upgrading to the latest version does zero in terms of making a site/system compliant under the improved rules and individual rights. Unless Navitron has added additional mods to the forum software they will not be collecting much information and what there is should be actively managed under the current data protection act. The one good thing is that the forum software has for many years used a sha1 hash of the username and password to store passwords. While not the 'latest' solution it is better than many systems as it stops what are known as dictionary attacks if the database was accessed.

The key thing to remember is that these forums are provided very much 'as is' so people should not be using the same login details (username and password) as they use on any important site that they access. While you can expect your bank or stockbroker to have a full-time security group running regular pen tests and updating every bit of software after large amounts of internal testing (all in an ideal world), you can not expect the same from Navitron and neither thankfully will the ICO.

[modded because I can't spell]
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 02:45:05 PM by RIT » Logged

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
djs63

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 01:40:44 PM »

It works for me! I have been a member for some years and learnt a lot and it has only twice refused me access because of some fiddling by someone, otherwise it is fine for me.

Nothing to do with the software but a while ago I had to ask Martin, the original, what various abbreviations stood for and I have lost the address. Please could you put it up at the top of the home page?
Thank you for me, David

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
Antman
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 04:02:33 PM »

Hi David
Do you mean this page https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2294.msg17846.html#msg17846
Antman  Wink

20 x 47mm, 172 l cylinder, Heat Dump, 15 x Sanyo HIT-H250E, SB4000TL,  Nestor Martin IQ13 WBS
DIY Solar System Support at http://www.handyantman.co.uk/antman.html
All support is voluntary and free of charge. I'm not employed by Navitron so responses may not be same-day
djs63

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2018, 04:20:06 PM »

Thanks Antman, I had forgotten the word “acronyms”. Yes exactly the right page.

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
DonL

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2018, 08:39:07 AM »

Reviving an old thread but it may be relevant.
The page structure when using my normal browser - Firefox, has changed - see attached file.
So I tried Chrome and everything works fine.
Other sites seem to work as usual in Firefox.

* Capture.JPG (133.35 KB, 1242x840 - viewed 167 times.)

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP
Bodidly

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2018, 08:55:56 AM »

Must be something in the air  wackoold

I had the same yesterday but with Chrome being the problem. Most pages opened like I was in some time warp. Reset to original settings on Chrome and all returned to normal. Spent the rest of my evening resetting lost passwords  banghead
azps

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2018, 09:16:47 AM »

The page structure when using my normal browser - Firefox, has changed - see attached file.

Don't worry anbout that - it's just a transient blip: the browser failed to load the css file that provides the page styling. If you view this forum in Firefox again, and press ctrl-F5 to force a full refresh, it should then behave properly.

DonL

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2018, 04:25:14 PM »

Don't worry anbout that - it's just a transient blip: the browser failed to load the css file that provides the page styling. If you view this forum in Firefox again, and press ctrl-F5 to force a full refresh, it should then behave properly.

Thanks for the advice. I was going to try it but the file is now loading correctly  wackoold

Schuco solar hot water - 3300kWh/annum, 16 BP 4175N PV panels - 2.8kWp, log burner and back boiler and 18 Ying Li 235 PV panels - 4.2kWp, 42kW ground mount PV, 9kW Panasonic ASHP
kristen

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2018, 08:55:27 AM »

I was going to try it but the file is now loading correctly  wackoold

Your browser has now managed to load the CSS file.  It will fail to find the CSS file periodically (usually a timeout or something "bizarre").  Because the CSS file is cached most of the pages you view (from that site) don't require the file to actually be reloaded ... but when they do probably all sorts of other things on the page are similarly "stale" and also need to be (re)loaded, and that can precipitate a timeout error or some other "failure".

Just refreshing the page gives the browser the chance to do-better-next-time ... or, as in your case, the next page you view manages to get the missing file "anyway", and then it is cached so all good Smiley ... until the cache becomes stale again and risk of load-failure on some page-component(s).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: