navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VWs diesel boneyard  (Read 1869 times)
linesrg

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2018, 09:30:05 AM »

Good Morning All,

As I think I've made clear in other postings on different threads most of us are making decisions based on economics skewed with environmental concerns.

The Zoe was bought through a 50/ 50% mix of the two considerations.

The Skoda Fabia was more economics driven. The Zoe can't carry three kayaks and all the associated paraphernalia and reliably deliver us to those locations further away from home we'd need to get to in winter. On the surface it was more economic than the (petrol) Golf it replaced - 34mpg v. 45mpg so although diesel powered was a 'logical' choice.

It is somewhat predictable that some makers are focusing their EV attentions on the upper end of the market.

Regards

Richard

16 BP380 on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 16 Chinese 80W/SB1700, 16 BP380/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery and a Renault Zoe
Westie

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2018, 11:54:33 AM »

I bought a brand new diesel in 2016, a Volvo V40 D2  Wanted an EV then but just wasnt viable for our domestic situation, the amount of driving I do, and frankly none of the EVs back then were the car I wanted/could afford.  Mine was based on MPG, VED and parking costs- all significantly better for me with diesel vs the petrol equivalent.  And frankly petrols are not clean either.  My next car will be an EV though and probably/hopefully the Tesla 3.

For the company car fleets, I understand that the benefit in kind tax rate for full EVs is changing dramatically next year as a means of incentivising EV fleet adoption- I believe it might be 0% - which, coupled with the arrival of longer range mile muncher executive car EVs like the iPace, the Model 3 etc will probably make those cars quite a popular choice...

BEV BIK rates are 13% this year, 16% next year and 2% for 2020/21

I hate diesels....  screw the economics, they're killing us! 

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 12:00:22 PM by Westie » Logged

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
dan_b

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2018, 12:09:59 PM »

Thanks - odd that BEV BIK is going up next year before falling significantly the year after, I hadn't realised that.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
Fionn

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2018, 12:15:08 PM »

Zero BIK for EVs here in Ireland, supposedly for at least 3 years.

6.75kW PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
kristen

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2018, 02:28:07 PM »

Thanks - odd that BEV BIK is going up next year before falling significantly the year after, I hadn't realised that.

I've always assumed it was a cockup, but impossible?? to rectify once hard-wired into all the accounting Rules and Regs.

It was 50% (from memory) of normal car BiK  before the 2-year-blip, and is returning to "nothing", so why someone didn't say "Get rid of the blip in the two middle years" beats me.

100% first year writeofff available to business too. Accountants tend not to like that [there is "profit on sale" to pay tax on at the end], and prefer straight-line, but business owners I speak to say "I can do nothing with the account's 1K p.a.., but 10K as a lump sum, available for 3 years and then pay back 80% of it, Yup I can do something with that".
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2018, 01:43:26 PM »

As predicted, the latest lot to own up is Nissan:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44763905

Imagine my surprise. The previous emission tier standards figures were fudged, so governments then upped the emission standards to be impossible financially.

Sooner or later they will all own up to fiddling results. Even the purest white of drifted snow will show signs of diesel soot...

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Westie

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2018, 10:02:57 AM »

Mercedes as well🙄
https://uk.mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUKKCN1IQ1AY

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
dimengineer

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2018, 02:07:07 PM »

Thanks for that. I did get the impression that they were all at it.
There is a big difference in my mind between gaming the system (sticking strictly to the letter of the law) and cheating. Some of the stuff was gaming - which I'm comfortable with in the sense that it should come as no surprise, and then there was cheating, dissembling, fraud.

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 03:01:52 PM »

Just as I and many others predicted, various diesel vehicle manufacturers apart from VW would have "skewed" their emission figures to meet the latest standards.

Oh look, Mercedes appears to have been caught in the trap of impossible standards, providing their own brand of 'skewing'...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44444361

N2

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Westie

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2018, 06:30:31 PM »

Thanks for that. I did get the impression that they were all at it.
There is a big difference in my mind between gaming the system (sticking strictly to the letter of the law) and cheating. Some of the stuff was gaming - which I'm comfortable with in the sense that it should come as no surprise, and then there was cheating, dissembling, fraud.

I agree, i'd use the analogy from taxation ie. avoidance vs evasion, as always the lawyers make a fortune trying to find the 'tipping point'.

dimengineer

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2018, 11:10:59 PM »

I heard of at least 4 ways in which they cheated
1) A simple timer - after 23 minutes (test is 20 minutes) the emissions control is turned off
2) A wheel rotation detector - detects only one set is being driven on the rolling road. EC is on. Otherwise Off
3) A sterring wheel movement detector - Keeps the EC on until wheel moves by 15 degrees. Then off
4) Temperature. You're allowed to turn EC off when its too cold. Maybe 0C, 5C you'd think. How about 17C! (Test is at 20C).

As an engineer I'm impressed by the ingenuity. But otherwise, it is cheating

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: