navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cant fully charge 40kwh rolls surrette series 5000 48v battery system.... ..  (Read 8137 times)
markini5

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 10:48:54 PM »

Hi Liam,  

will you be retiring your pwm controllers?    im going to over load my TriStar mppt 60a with 5kw array  for higher low light charging.   nominal is 3200w    but ive been informed  you can overload input side and the controller limits current to 60a,  its something pwm Morningstar controllers cant do.  this will reduce need for more charge controllers.

i did buy a used eltek psu 6 weeks back via fleebay turned out it had been fried  and sold as mint working order....

im not sure if to buy one or not, yes short term  its a good idea, though long term not so good and the hassle of manually switching it on...  must be a way of making it an automatic on to boost charging ..

batteries are now charged  though never completed absorb time 2h 30min     but weeks of being around 60v during daylight and bubbling like a deep fat fryer (sound)  and now all specific gravity is above 12,650 after resting 6hrs+  some at 12,900    so ive decided to disconnect PV until they self discharge enough to warrant reconnecting  or until i either sell them or keep them and find a suitable inverter. 3000w min.    
voltage doesn't drop below 51.1v  over 12hours rest

ive already wasted 25ltr distilled water  through learning.   they could do with an equalize though not sure when to do this  maybe now is a good time as they charged   but some sg are higher than ideal.     but charge controller refuses to equalize   must be not enough PV input   it says started when you press button  for 2 sec  but nothing happens  (no rapid blinking green light.... )
markini5

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 11:11:12 PM »

mines not actually mastervolt or xantrex its got another brand on it though cant remember without checking   seems mastervolt brought the manufacturer out?? 

its extremely complex compare to my old NASA BM1   

supposed to offer temp comp but didn't come with sensor or any info  on this      so my monitor thinks batt temp is 25c but its actually 10c...
Scruff

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 11:23:08 PM »

Hi Liam,  

will you be retiring your pwm controllers?  

What?!  Shocked
No way.  lovefirefox
MPPT can't do diversion!

I'll consider not buying any more until I commission the spare two I currently have.  Tongue

Get a refund on the dud rectifier.
Get the 1kW it's got Voltage adjust on a pot and passive cooling, the newer ones are active and you need another module to set voltage.
You need a controllable source no matter what you do. It's the cheapest and best solution considering you have everything else you need. Sure you can automate it with a timer socket, a photo-relay, an SOC triggered relay, a VSR..anything...(although you may end up swapping relays..I'd trust Tinbum on this).

EQ you can trigger from MSview and make sure the settings are correct. Were you running the SS up to 18V?!
Once triggered EQ will be carried out as soon as capable.

You don't need to EQ the 1.29 batts I'd put them aside until you can pull the rest up. If they just won't improve split the bank and keep the gooder uns.

Don't disconnect flooded batts that's what your charge controller is for.

Scruff

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 11:26:04 PM »

Is it a Merlin?  Grin

At least it doesn't have a stoopid blue backlight... facepalm
markini5

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2018, 11:39:02 PM »

oh yeah i forgot about diversion  that's a good point i may buy one just for that purpose unless i can think of another way of heating pond with any excess . 

mines this one... bit weasel peed  temp sensor is addition accessory
https://tbs-electronics.nl/product/expert-pro-battery-monitor-12v24v/
Scruff

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2018, 11:44:03 PM »

Tehehe...i wonder if someone forgot to patent the design or if it's just the town bike.

hysteria

Here willya let me know if it displays >100% SOC if you disable auto-reset?
I'm always looking for honest meters.
Scruff

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2018, 11:48:36 PM »

bit weasel peed  temp sensor is addition accessory

damn 'em. Buy a thermometer instead...or use the TS meters.
markini5

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2018, 12:01:09 AM »

its something i need to get my head around.  i understand what your saying, i just cant think where to find something that trigger on via SOC .   relay i get that..   which i need for immersion elements ..

18v??   i inputted 63.4v   with 1 hour time limit  so how that works out and adjust time/volts slightly if need be..   1,265 according to manual is perfect.      the 3 cells are at 1,290+/-0.005   i think due to electrolyte about 5mm lower getting close to top of plates  so topped up tried best to put same amount water in as the others.

their were 6 cells behind by 0,03   as i over filled when i first got them now levels dropped to other cells  due to me removing hydrocaps  to allow excess venting ..  

now 21 cells are within 0.08sg of each other  

what if i were to disable absorption   and allow float  and equalize  for the time being?  or lower absorption charge?
Scruff

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2018, 12:16:00 AM »

its something i need to get my head around.  i understand what your saying, i just cant think where to find something that trigger on via SOC .   relay i get that..   which i need for immersion elements ..

Inverter combis will have them.
Your new meter might have one. I know schlicktron's offering does and smartgauge.
Better off with a PWM TriStar for the immersions.

18v??  

In the sunsaver.

1,265 according to manual is perfect.  

Well the manual is wrong.
 Feel patronised they are saying good enough not as good as you can get.

the 3 cells are at 1,290+/-0.005   i think due to electrolyte about 5mm lower getting close to top of plates  so topped up tried best to put same amount water in as the others.

Yeah sounds high. The volume will effect readings a lot. Lower volume = higher concentration.
Readings directly after watering aren't accurate it'll be stratified.

what if i were to disable absorption   and allow float  and equalize  for the time being?  or lower absorption charge?

All you have to do is set "time before float" to 0 mins and trust the TS to know best.
markini5

« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2018, 12:22:01 AM »

supposed to be a good unit,      i paid 75 from wind&sun in their sale.. normally at least double the price.    but it does help i get trade prices  extrahappy  

not sure if it auto resets.   i know i have to manual synchronize every month or so by press and hold both end buttons .    can be networked also and has alarms built in .. seems a smart display ... SOC says 99.9%     my TriStar and tbs display is drawing  0.10a via msview .. think mostly due to Ethernet connection, might set it in eco mode...

tbs monitor is showing exactly the same  - 0.10a    

seems like a genuine monitor will see how it pans out.     has a sausage load of settings to programme inc  self discharge % and % charge acceptance .

for the price i cant complain... wasnt sure with some technical settings ..

Scruff

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 12:25:36 AM »

Maybe everyone uses it because it works.
ApprenticeVolt's BTM is a chocolateteapot

Can professional cowboys get trade discounts too?  fingers crossed!
markini5

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 12:27:30 AM »

are these your batt volts?    10v to 18v    seems too low and high, what going on here?  

never checked sg after filling i wait to end of next charging day...  
Scruff

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2018, 12:28:45 AM »

Grin Grin Grin

No they're yours!
It's the log file I pulled from your sunsaver.   whistlie
markini5

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2018, 12:39:30 AM »

im just a cowboy  lol   ive got trade account with navitron , ccl , solflex, wind&sun and few others,   navitron gave me trade account through loyalty and messing up order.. and the others  a few white lies like high volume buyer, part time installer,   and im designing and making VAWT   which the latter is true.... lol 

i can save 100's  or few 1,000      for instance i can get a new Morningstar TriStar mppt 60a less than 481 delivered....   bimble solar is about 600

so going to try it....   have you seen any new concepts on vawt?   
Scruff

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2018, 12:49:59 AM »

Deadly, I'll just show them some photos of Rogerikos installs.  fingers crossed!

My TS MPPT was 120.
Broken stuff discount is usually better than trade.  Tongue

Bumble are selling AC cams as DC changeovers...spoofers!

VAWT concepts....none that come close to 30% of want a HAWT can do.
Gotta run before we get moderated... horror
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: