navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driveway surfaces  (Read 3412 times)
JohnS

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 05:13:18 PM »

Soakaways must be 5m from any building (BS 8301) http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain08.html

Not usually practical in a front garden.

2.1kWp solar PV
M

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 06:53:52 AM »

Soakaways must be 5m from any building (BS 8301) http://www.pavingexpert.com/drain08.html

Not usually practical in a front garden.

Son of a ........         Wink

OK plan C, the lawn does run downhill (away from the drive), so the soakaway will have to be in the front left (as you look out from the house) which is 6m away.

TBF I agree with the rules about drainage, just surprised they apply to existing (90 yr old) layouts, oh well, nothing too complicated I suppose.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
TheFairway
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 08:42:59 AM »

May not be easy to design due to the fall, but if you can get it to discharge into a planting bed of suitable size, that would probably be easiest to build.

I was involved in garden design when suds was first introduced so went to several cpd courses - the test at the time was a hose test - easy to perform but i cannot remember the flow rate needed to satisfy the regs. however it would be a good test to try before you do any work as it would indicate how close you are to compliance with existing fall.

The soak test is important as it identifies so called permeable surfaces but built on impermeable base - ie mot type 1 subbase would fail this.

Another option similar to resin bonded gravel is consolidated gravel/bredon gravel which is the sort of thing you get in parks - solid consolidated gravel base with some small fly away chips on surface. As you think block paving is too much work, suspect though that consolidated gravel, especially on a slope will be too high maintenance due to the lose chippings on surface, but its a very versatile and cost effective surface in the right location.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 11:25:30 AM by TheFairway » Logged
Barrie

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2018, 10:56:18 AM »

In a past life working with a Housing Association I attended a "Secure By Design" presentation given by an insurance company and a member of the local constabulary.

Although there are no guidelines for external paving they expressed a strong preference for loose and compacted gravel surfaces as it was virtually impossible for "ner-do-wells" to approach a building silently. Certainly at night we can hear our neighbours walking up their drive, but if you have a four legged member of the family they will pick up approaching footsteps even in the daytime.

We have a concrete edging one side where the drive is 75mm above the flower bed and a timber edging the other side where the drive is at the same level as the lawn. In 33 years the only issue is a slight bowing of the timber edging where a recent delivery lorry parked right next to the timber edging. Probably a sign that the edging ought to be replaced......

Milton Keynes Vauxhall Insignia EcoTech
Westie

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2018, 12:20:02 PM »

Mart, When I click on pics you posted I get a 404 error and get redirected to some scantily dressed lady pics on PostImage......

Thankyou, please post some more  genuflect

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
M

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2018, 12:55:42 PM »

Mart, When I click on pics you posted I get a 404 error and get redirected to some scantily dressed lady pics on PostImage......

Thankyou, please post some more  genuflect

No probs, my pleasure, so to speak.

Me too now?

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2018, 01:36:39 PM »

I guess i would go for fibre reinforced  concrete  made with white cement and yellowish aggregat  .

Place some spacers   to create some pattern (rusty  steel  or a line of bricks  or hardwood beam )   and think about some planting  Smiley Wink

Billi

* Unbenannt-1.jpg (318.89 KB, 992x716 - viewed 162 times.)

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
M

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2018, 01:45:50 PM »

I guess i would go for fibre reinforced  concrete  made with white cement and yellowish aggregat  .

Place some spacers   to create some pattern (rusty  steel  or a line of bricks  or hardwood beam )   and think about some planting  Smiley Wink

Billi

Send me a quote ..... cash in hand?

Very pretty Billi.

billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2018, 01:52:32 PM »

garden

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: