navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: another set of batteries  (Read 2049 times)
camillitech

« on: March 13, 2008, 06:21:59 AM »

Being in possesion of several battery banks at home and looking after 5 at work I just thought I'd pass this on to anyone thinking of buying batteries from 'William Wilson' of Glasgow.

This is the third set of emergency batteries we've fitted in 4 years, the sewage plant and the main engine banks have all had similar failiures. They're topped up weekly and the SG checked and recorded. None are discharged deeply and they're maintained at float on good chargers. I just think they're poor batteries. I'm not complaining because we change the whole banks when just a few cells have failed and I can use the good cells at home but I'd never but one for my own battery bank.

Cheers, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
northern installer

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:47:18 AM »

Paul n everyone,we run several vans at work,and various tractors at home,and it seems a bit of a lottery when you buy a new battery,(was that from a gilbert and sullivan opera Huh)all are properly maintained,but some last for years,others struggle on the first frosty morning of the following year;when I look around for another supplier,they all seem to sell the same brand (starting bull or something,probably made by ethnic americans) when you take one back under warranty,some spotty boy starts a long piece on''well its probably your alternator,better change it'' etc;eventually replacing the battery but charging a percentage of the cost for the months of service you had from it;like many industies,the motor trade now seems to be all about immense profits on the back of cr+p product and poor warranty

"government scrappage scheme still available on Tardis trade ins (dont ask how we get around the deadline...)"
Alan
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:16:41 AM »

With the old D.C. generators and very crude electro mechanical voltage regulation they should have failed much quicker but they still seemed to last much longer. They could be made to last nowadays, there was a brand called Samson which had a guarantee for as long as you owned the vehicle. Donít know what happened to them, maybe gone out of business because they lasted to long.

Regards

Alan
RichardKB

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 09:46:11 AM »

Not related to green issue's or battery back up but i have personally killed 3 batteries in cars in the last 20 wears since the newer light weight non solid electrodes have come in.

My own fault I tried to start the car in gear without putting the clutch in by mistake not intentially, the battery goes open circuit as if they have an internal fuse.

This makes a mockery of the method to get you off a train crossing if you break down on one.

Rich
mespilus

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 05:03:50 PM »

How are your batteries connected?

I don't own a battery bank but found this info that
startled me:

http://www.smartgauge.co.uk/batt_con.html

Now in the HS2 blight zone
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: