navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lister Petter PH2 electric start conversion.  (Read 3376 times)
renewablejohn

« on: April 14, 2018, 06:45:56 PM »

Could anyone please help. I have finally decided I am getting old. Came to start my faithful old dumper which is a Petter or Lister Petter PH2 with hand crank and I ran out off puff.
Have admitted defeat so now looking for some way of doing an electric start. Any Lister Guru's able to advise.
Heinz

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 07:00:44 PM »

I did this conversion last month. I struggled to find any parts available new or used and ended up buying a used flywheel, recon starter and starter bracket from Realdiesels for what I felt was a hell of a lot of cash, but I couldn't find a reasonable alternative and as this was part of a drilling machine at work, it needed to be idiot proof. I used a Land Rover alternator, v belt and a taperlock pulley on the crank for charging.
Realdiesels recon starter failed on the third start, solenoid jammed 'on' , but a quick strip down and clean off the grease and chinese? swarf on the solenoid armature solved that problem.
I plan to do my dumper at some point, but I'll just use a friction drive on the flywheel I think. Zero +- cost but needs a non idiot to operate ....
Cheers,

H

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try' "  Yoda
Greenbeast

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 09:37:21 PM »

Could anyone please help. I have finally decided I am getting old. Came to start my faithful old dumper which is a Petter or Lister Petter PH2 with hand crank and I ran out off puff.
Have admitted defeat so now looking for some way of doing an electric start. Any Lister Guru's able to advise.

I have the ph2 hand crank on mine, i know what you mean, when it's good it is bloody good and can be started almost on the second rev if you time/push right but when it's bad it is horrid
knighty

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 11:21:45 PM »

how big is the fly wheel?

dickjotec electric started his lister with a belt from a transit starter around the flywheel

I'm sure he's a member here?... if not he's on the veg oil forum which I think you're on too?
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 09:08:11 AM »

I would not go near the flywheel at all, It sounds such a massive job and the downtime is unpredictable,
      Surely a solution could be found at the other end . If a rear mounted starters was attached to the dog,,say a plastic T but a clash type starter like that ,that used to be fitted to the old ford crossflow range but a heavier duty type,,This would spin the engine with the decompression lever on. Geared starters are now available for bigger heavier diesels..The starter just has to turn in the right direction.
I spent a lifetime swinging those cruel things, that is exactly why i left the listers in storage and used the Chinese diesels with the key.
The other thing is,,,There is a different knack to starting each of these dumpers. These engines are supposed to start with the sudden weight of the flywheel..
  My first job as an apprentice brickie was to hold the flaming cement bag next to the air intake and then join the rest on the rim of the drum pulling it round like mad to start them,,then getting lungfulls of black smoke for free.
                                                 Biff
  I have never known and engine as awkward and as difficult to handle as a 2 cylinder Lister dumper engine. They don,t look heavy and you are tempted to lift and struggle with it but once you fondle one, by gum you are not keen to fondle another. You wonder how you got all those nicks,,cuts and dark purple bruises.
Off topic completely,, A traveller was buying a few batteries of me 2 weeks ago. I had a few 105ah yellow x 50kgs and I said..pointing to the yellow powersafes.."Those are 50kg each"
  " Naw" he says  and he picks one upo by the handles (they are 500mm long) and raises it straight up off the floor to chest height with his elbows straight out,, " Naw" he says,," Thats not 50kgs"
 A few seconds later he is leaning up against the wall,,very pale and i thought he was going to collapse. I was getting ready to run to the house for Mrs Biff  (nurse) but he steadied up and took out a fag and lit up.  So I said quietly,,,"they are definitely 50kgs each"    He took big long gulps of smoke,,drawing it well down and exhaling a plume about 10 feet long.."Aye  you could be right  he said.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 09:23:11 AM by biff » Logged

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Westie

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 11:43:59 AM »

How much torque does it take to turn it over, there are some battery drills now capable of 100 ft/lb?

https://www.outdoorhub.com/reviews/2017/11/22/k-drill-auger-milwaukee-tool-m18-fuel-drill-ice-fishing-game-changer/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-FUEL-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Brushless-Cordless-1-2-in-Mud-Mixer-Tool-Only-2810-20/302677799

« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:48:16 AM by Westie » Logged

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 04:49:25 PM »

I have the 12volt Milwaukee quarter inch drive impact driver,
                           It is very light to use and it is great for running up wheel nuts and makes changing a wheel a very speedy job indeed. What every kind of design and technology they use @ 12v, The power is simply incredible. I got both Milwaukee and Rabid for my Burthday. Both charge @120vac, so I got a voltage reducer from 230vac to 120vac for the chargers.
   I would say that the large Milwaukee 18volt would start the dumper if it was fitted with a T headed driver into the dog. ( a Plastic one.) With a well greased insert. Grin..and if you had a 3rd hand or a piece of string,,you could pull the decompression lever and make it extra easy.
                                                           Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Westie

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 06:29:43 PM »

There's one here on fleabay for 100 (batt not incl.)

That drill produces more torque than our 1.5 ltr 4 cyl petrol car!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Milwaukee-M18FPD-0-18v-Li-Ion-Next-Gen-Fuel-Hammer-Drill-Driver-Bare-Unit/162993605636?epid=521333154&hash=item25f32d0c04:g:i9gAAOSw~bFazjZz

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: