navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jaguar iPace on Fully Charged  (Read 3951 times)
Westie

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 08:48:02 AM »

7kw home charging is a bit tight on a £70k car. Even my poverty spec Tesla (was much cheaper than £70k) does 11kw 3 phase. The car looks good and will no doubt have a higher level of finish than a Tesla. Charging may be the Achilles heal of the Jag but it depends on how many owners want to drive beyond range. Personally, I would not want to rely on the current public CCS charging network and you seem to need plan A, B, and C to prevent being left stranded. I went to Paris over the last weekend, 650 mile round trip only using Tesla Superchargers. A reliable high speed network of chargers is essential to make EV's acceptable to the masses. Hopefully we will see reliable 150kw CCS chargers across Europe soon and with contactless or chip and pin payment so you don't need to join any membership of subscription schemes.

I don't think home charging is so much of an issue here in the UK as most households are single phase and  are going to be maxed out with a 7kw EVSE. The  flaw in the ipace charging system is that there are 16,000 CCS chargers and 17,000  Fast AC (type2 level2) here in the UK.  So at the moment its 50/50. So if your preferred choice CCS charger is in already in use but there's a Type 2 Fast AC charger available your only going the get a 7kw charge rate while the guy in £30k Zoe gets a 22kw charge rate!

In France and Germany it's even more embarrassing for the ipace as many homes have 3 phase supplies and could accomodate an 11kw or even a 22 kw EVSE but the ipace will only charge at 7kw.

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
Tiff

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2018, 11:17:53 AM »

7kW would be fine for me. Its very rare that I would do 300 miles in day so overnight charging would be fine. Most of the time it's only going to topping up rather than needing a full charge from empty.

Plus I don't want to change my wall box, not that an iPace is even remotely within my budget anyway...
knighty

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2018, 11:49:56 AM »

with a 90kwh battery pack and a7kwh charger... that works out about 23 miles per hour charge

which is a bit rubbish if you're going on a long tripe

but... with a 300mile range a 7kwh charger would do for 99% of the time?
RIT

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2018, 03:29:13 PM »

I'm not sure that anyone with the money to purchase an iPace is going to worry about having to purchase a few hours of standard rate electricity once in a while to fully charge up the car.

And if you can buy a iPace and you do expect to be doing around 300 miles driving a day, you can just sign up to Ebico's Night Owl tariff*. This offers zero cost night time units, but for every 6 night time units you us you need to use 4 day time units. So when charging something like the iPace you would need to use daytime units anyway.

*If you try getting an estimate for Ebico's Night Owl tariff, their site seems to only show the tariff if you state you do not need gas and that you already have an E7 meter. It comes with a large standing charge so you need to be a heavy user and to make it work you really need to get as near to the 6/4 split as you can.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »

7kW would be fine for me. Its very rare that I would do 300 miles in day so overnight charging would be fine. Most of the time it's only going to topping up rather than needing a full charge from empty.

Plus I don't want to change my wall box, not that an iPace is even remotely within my budget anyway...

+1 Tiff,

the critical issue is how fast one uses the energy rather than how fast one can charge the battery, if by some chance you do need to fully charge the battery every day you probably need to stick to an ICE car. I bet most of us, particularly city based drivers only fill up weekly or less, so an overnight top up is more than enough.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
Quakered

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2018, 12:38:35 PM »

I have been invited by my local Jag dealer to an evening presentation of the Ipace (together with drinks!) early next month. I confess I am a bit interested. Our driving is now down to 4k miles per year as we can get in and around London using our "old git's" travel cards. An electric car will also be good preparation for when I need to upgrade to a mobility scooter!

I know it is bloody expensive and a Leaf would be a lot more rational but fear I have reached the stage of think that if I don't start wasting money then the kids and taxman will.

Patrick

No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford
Westie

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2018, 04:13:53 PM »

Am I alone in my confusion over the naming of the Jaguar Epace and Ipace model range - I think they've got it the wrong way around,  the E-pace name should have been used for the  Ev and the I-pace to the ICE model banghead

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
dan_b

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2018, 04:20:10 PM »

I just think it's funny that the badge on the front of their cars is called the "Growler"   hysteria

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
TheFairway
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2018, 04:39:15 PM »

I know it is bloody expensive and a Leaf would be a lot more rational but fear I have reached the stage of think that if I don't start wasting money then the kids and taxman will.

You are not alone in your thinking. I think there are a number of people who currently would consider paying an irrational amount of money for the few electric vehicle's out there that would cover their needs just because buying an EV is the right thing to do but are (reluctantly) willing to pay the entry premium due to the inflated current price point in the EV development lifecycle.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:39:48 AM by TheFairway » Logged
Quakered

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2018, 11:46:51 PM »

I feel the need to report that I did see the iPace at the local dealers this week and it is a very lovely piece of engineering. Even lady wife thought it a thing of beauty. The cabin is very much more modern than the usual Jag interior and the instrument panels look like they were lifted from the Starship Enterprise and are all LCDs. The cabin was nice and spacious with great views.

On the charging front, apparently Jaguar will arrange for the installation of a charging point at the owner’s home and this will be a  7kw service and that the car will take the most powerful charger available on the market. They also said the main problem with batteries is the failure of individual cells and that they will monitor the state of every cell and replace any defective ones as part of the annual service.

The dealers said they had nearly sold this year’s allocation and any new order would likely be delivered in the 1st quarter next year. Overall, Jaguar were planning to supply 3,000 units to the UK market this year but suspect they will be more generous to the US market and may be the Chinese?

The only bad news was how reassuringly expensive it was. While the car is smaller than the ePace and fPace, it is more expensive than the XJ. Entry level is £63k and adding the essentials like head up display, heated seats and some other necessities takes it up to £70k. In the wonderful sunshine today, I had enough spare electricity after fully charging the Powerwall and heating the hot water, to export enough electricity to propel the car 36 miles. Difficult to see how even the most imaginative deployment of man maths could come up with a justification to buy one!

Patrick

No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford
dan_b

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2018, 04:08:23 PM »

I saw an ePace on the road yesterday, what is that - is it a petrol-hybrid?

4kW PowerVault Battery
TheFairway
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2018, 04:15:20 PM »

Ignore the "E" - its a gas or oil guzzling SUV
dan_b

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2018, 04:21:32 PM »

Oh right - really confusing model nomenclature then!   hysteria

4kW PowerVault Battery
knighty

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2018, 04:51:33 PM »

Oh right - really confusing model nomenclature then!   hysteria

yea it really annoys me!

the E is petrol/diesel

the i is electric

they must have had the electric ones planned for years, why couldn;t they swap those letters around?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: