navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drying Room  (Read 2157 times)
mr smith

« on: May 03, 2018, 06:59:49 PM »

Hi peeps I am thinking of turning an upstairs cupboard into a drying room for clothes.

Has anyone else built a purpose built room to remove moisture?

I was thinking of either installing a dehumidifier and or timed vents in the wall to outside.

It is only the size of a wc and I may relocate the washing machine in there as well.
Fionn

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 08:06:46 PM »

I'm in the process of converting my airing cupboard (hot press here in Ireland  Grin) to one. I long ago relocated my DHW cylinder to just under the solar thermal panels on the roof.
I've got a small dehumidifier with a built in humidistat and I bought a small condensate pump to push the produced water up and out through the soffit.
The racking is all I have left to do. The pipes to the DHW central heating coil still pass through so I may put a small radiator on it at some point in the future if I deem it necessary. It's located right in the centre of the house so no worries about heat loss, it'll all be lost into the rest of the house.
The room is about 3m2 in size at a guess. I may add a low speed fan also to help with circulating the air.
The final addition will be a smoke alarm with a relay output feeding the dehumidifier socket, so the power will be cut to it at the first hint of any malfunction.
The only other possible addition might be some foil membrane to act as a vapour barrier.

6.75kW PV - 2.75kW East, 1.5kW South, 2.5kW West. 3 x Flat Plate Solar Thermal with side arm FPHE on 268L cylinder
knighty

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 10:11:19 PM »

I use a dehumidifier in the cupboard under the stairs, it works really well

it has a built in humidistat but I'm not sure how accurate it is or quite where to set the humidity setting knob

(but it dries clothes really well)
Philip R

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 09:07:43 AM »

We use an Ebac dehumidifyer in our downstairs cloakroom, which also has a clothes horse and some ceiling anchors to hang clothes airers onto. In the winter months, the washing line outside can only be used on rare occasions.
The dehumidifier, along with some background heating works really well. The collected condensate is used to top cistern up to avoid paying twice for metered water.(spending a penny has suffered from water bill inflation!)
Used during daylight when pv if wet/ damp outside. Takes a while to shift condensed water vapour off cold wc cistern in winter, but when clear, the clothes are dry.
We have a thermal condensing tumble dryer too. Looking at the lint filter, these smash the fabrics to pieces and wear fabrics and linen out, so not used too much other than softening towels after drying hard and a bit crispy on the line.
Philip R
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: