navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New install  (Read 2302 times)
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 02:11:31 PM »

I used
https://www.glowing-embers.co.uk/HighTemperatureSealants/VitcasHighTemperatureSealant1250Degrees

pantsmachine

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2018, 11:16:48 PM »

Hi Pantsmachine :-)

This is probably a very stupid question, but how did you go about finding the cracks and holes in your house? I have a pretty leaky house, and want to know the best way to start the find-and-fix-the-hole

Thanks

Mike

Mike/The Fairway, Hello, the stupid questions are those that go unasked,

Our home is a triple converted/extended semi detached bungalow built around 1984 then ext1-1989, ext2-2004, ext3-2008 and covers around 2.5k sqft in its current iteration. Regs changed across the timeline as did build quality.

The simple answer is that yes it makes a massive difference. We have had about three runs thru the house across the years and at its most basic I used caulk, silicone or expanding foam depending on circumstances.

One of the biggest improvements was sealing around the waste pipes in bathroom on sink and bath. I do like to take things to their logical conclusion and had seen obvious improvement other than the aforementioned naked tea making but also in thermostat cut off time and a general lowering on TRV settings after i took the time to balance the CH system.

https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/how-to-balance-radiators/

The first and second runs thru the house were the obvious ones, adjusting windows to seal, sealing obvious cracks, wee bits at skirting boards, weather strip and insulate loft and access hatches.
Second run included adding further insulation, drop light clusters and seal cable entries into living spaces.
Third run had a surprise in it which was the cut out holes in the UPVC windows for trickle vents, they were literally massive and i cut them down to 1/4 of their original size with silicone and turned the vents to point upwards.
Possibly the 4th run thru was the finish and this included sealing wiring holes and wall plates, at this point I was actually embarrassed at myself but on a couple of plates i could feel the difference.

If i had to estimate i would say that in total we removed at least a 2ft sqr hole from the house to out/underside and felt improvement every step of the way. Obvious of course as that hole was operating 24/7.The risk is lack of air exchange and an increase in moisture but the house is large and there are only two of us now that sadly the birds have flown.

No matter, the difference to me is that we ventilate when we choose to beyond the restricted trickle vents, this is every day of course but and this is the point. Its under our control and not due to a random other set of leaks 24/7. Mike, make a list and begin one room at a time. If you go beyond a 4th iteration then you can have the 'mental as anything crown', ok? Smiley You should be able to find the obvious ones with the back of your hand, candles, joss sticks all work as does thermal cams but i kept it simple and used skin.

I did not fit flappers on the bathrooms or kitchen extractors as i would rather have some heat loss in exchange for a source of fresh air into a moister room but that was a personal choice. It great to read about passive houses and MHRV's and the ideas therein and there is no reason why some of the ideas cannot be brought to older houses, cheers.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 08:42:24 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

Huge insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solaredge.
4.8 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 200 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced wet system.
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees.
4 composters & Smiley
Mike123

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 10:37:57 AM »

Thank you, very interesting

I have done the basic scout round over the last couple of years. The house is 1913, and very very big, but mostly built well - ie cavity wall construction in 1913! Obviously changed and extended over the years, and we did a large extension in about 2005

The worst holes I found were from bathroom upgrades - the worst being a whole soil pipe hole access left open, where a toilet had been moved - it wasn't visible because there was a massive bush covering the hole on the outside

Also oak flooring tongue and groove that had been ripped up for wiring, obviously had massive leaks

I shall now proceed to look a bit closer, but I presume it is best done in colder months where incoming cold air will be more obvious
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 10:47:37 AM by Mike123 » Logged
TheFairway
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 10:52:56 AM »

Thanks for link to balancing radiators - since having a rad replaced with a bigger one our heating has been a bit off sometimes - so this was on my list to get done. Not sure how easy it is to go round an check rad heating order - any tips?

Do you (anyone) think that expanding foam is good enough - I foamed around some window frames that previously had a bead and cracked decorators caulk covering a large gap and have yet to replace the bead and whilst I can nolonger feel a draft where the cracked caulk was, it doesn't seem any warmer. Im kind of putting off rubbing down the paintwork prior to fitting new beading and wondering how ai tight I need to get this - surface was obviously patched some pont in its past so is quite uneven.

But I kind of the opinion that foam is draft sealing rather than making air tight - just not sure what constitutes the latter. However, I'm not trying to achieve passivhaus so former may be sufficient.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 12:01:11 PM by TheFairway » Logged
pantsmachine

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2018, 01:51:42 AM »

No worries gents, my pleasure. Its good to pass on the one's that work! The radiator balancing made a large difference and seems to be one of the regimes that has fallen out of use when systems are installed. The lockshield valves get wound open to the max and left. My biggest room (7 mtrx5mtr) is furthest from the boiler at around 15 mtrs pipes length whereas the closest is under 1 mtr. The 15mtr radiator lockshield is almost fully wound open while the sub 1mtr distance lockshield is a crack away from fully closed to achieve the 12 deg drop across the rads. The 12 degree drop is the trick, if you get that right the rad order takes care of itself. This had a massive impact on balancing the temp of the house and the rooms that need most get it. For simplicity, start at the one closest to boiler as they will likely require the most constriction of flow leaving the remaining flow to go further.

Coupled with sealing the unwanted paths to outside and you truly take a step up in house environment. I am going to be really sad now and say 'I take pride in knowing that my radiator thermostats are actually working'. Smiley

The material used to sort the cracks is largely immaterial with regard to its thermal resistance. My rationale for this statement is that a 90% reduction in heat loss at a crack is good enough for me and i can live with the remaining 10% loss due to material inefficiency. That's not to say i wouldn't revisit later if i thought i could improve further at a non exorbitant price point. Everything comes down to risk/reward and cost/performance eventually, Cheers.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:51:51 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

Huge insulation depth.
All low energy bulbs.
Balanced wet system.
4 composters & Smiley
pantsmachine

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2018, 11:47:30 AM »

Hi all,

The system went in, 16 panel 320w 5.12kw with solaredge, solar Iboost. and Goodwe inverter. All working wonderfully apart from the LG 6.5kw RESU battery. Dead out of the box. Sad I felt very sorry for the fitters as they knocked their pans in and did a really neat job and to be let down by a single component not in their control....

We are instead having 7.2kw of rack mounted Pylontech  which will go in next week or so. Yesterday was the 1st full day and we generated 25kwh. Very happy with the system and quite amazed that the solar Iboost takes our 200ltr OSO system storage tank to 75 degrees. Celebrated with a solar chilled beer and some solar classical. Truly amazed and very. very happy! Smiley

Huge insulation depth.
All low energy bulbs.
Balanced wet system.
4 composters & Smiley
pantsmachine

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2018, 08:22:54 AM »

Well, That's a little over a month the system has been in for and I must say that I have been amazed at how effortlessly it works.Its cranked out 350 kwh so far this month. Registered it on PV Output on the 12th July. https://www.pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=66491&sid=59738

Battery install has not went at all smoothly with many promised install dates, poor to zero comms and excuses from installers. If they don't make the 2nd August date currently booked i'll do it myself. It hasn't put me off but I would have liked a smoother finish to the install than this. Hey ho, happy days apart from that! Smiley

British Gas have not contacted us a month after sending in the FIT paperwork, anyone got a rough time frame for me to go on for expected contact?

None of the above can take the shine off the amazingness that is the silent engine on our roof.  extrahappy

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:26:18 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

Huge insulation depth.
All low energy bulbs.
Balanced wet system.
4 composters & Smiley
nowty

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2018, 09:20:57 AM »

All working wonderfully apart from the LG 6.5kw RESU battery. Dead out of the box. Sad I felt very sorry for the fitters as they knocked their pans in and did a really neat job and to be let down by a single component not in their control....

Thats shocking for such a good brand.

Good choice on the Pylontech alternative, cheaper and you can add more if you need to, hope you finally get them installed.

These are mine,

10kW of PV installed and 40+ MWh generated.
Usable battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Heat storage of 20+ kWh.
6kW Ground Source Heatpump.
190,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
A few cold frames and raised beds.
skyewright

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2018, 10:07:51 AM »

Third run had a surprise in it which was the cut out holes in the UPVC windows for trickle vents, they were literally massive and i cut them down to 1/4 of their original size with silicone and turned the vents to point upwards.
I completely filled our trickle vents! A great improvement. Smiley

Since they were in replacement windows and the originals would not have had any, I understand they weren't 'required' anyway (it's just that the replacement windows people put them in as standard)?

If i had to estimate i would say that in total we removed at least a 2ft sqr hole from the house to out/underside and felt improvement every step of the way. Obvious of course as that hole was operating 24/7.The risk is lack of air exchange and an increase in moisture but the house is large and there are only two of us now that sadly the birds have flown.
I'm doing a long slow room by room internal insulation (& properly seal) job on our house. When I stripped of the plasterboard on the last room I did it revealed a 100mm hole in the inner skin of the cavity wall at skirting level on one side (my guess is that someone had maybe dropped something in the cavity, made a hole to retrieve it, then not filled the hole), and an entire block missing on the other side!
Both now fixed. That plus the other work totally transformed the thermal performance of that room, and of course each room that gets 'fixed' gives knock on benefits to the rest of the house.

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
Tinbum

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2018, 10:26:23 AM »

Since they were in replacement windows and the originals would not have had any, I understand they weren't 'required' anyway (it's just that the replacement windows people put them in as standard)?

In the new build houses I built I always tried not to fit them as even when closed they never seal properly and they also let noise through. It depended somewhat on the building inspector as to whether they would accept the locked open 'trickle' position of the sash as trickle ventilation or not.

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Tinbum

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2018, 10:42:03 AM »

interesting web site;

https://batterytestcentre.com.au/results/pylontech-us2000b/

edit;
also http://batterytestcentre.com.au/reports/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 10:58:52 AM by Tinbum » Logged

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
pantsmachine

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2018, 10:26:16 PM »

Glad it worked out for you! I was blowing paper insulation into an awkward area of the loft a few weeks ago and found a 2" hole from the cold side loft down into a bedroom sliding wardrobe door ceiling. I always thought that room was a touch cooler than it should have been. Its bit like an Easter egg hunt for obsessive types! After doing this for a few years I find that the cost savings are there but more as a pleasant incidental bonus whereas the improvement in environmental comfort is where its really at?

I completely filled our trickle vents! A great improvement. Smiley

I'm doing a long slow room by room internal insulation (& properly seal) job on our house. When I stripped of the plasterboard on the last room I did it revealed a 100mm hole in the inner skin of the cavity wall at skirting level on one side (my guess is that someone had maybe dropped something in the cavity, made a hole to retrieve it, then not filled the hole), and an entire block missing on the other side!
Both now fixed. That plus the other work totally transformed the thermal performance of that room, and of course each room that gets 'fixed' gives knock on benefits to the rest of the house.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:02:22 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

Huge insulation depth.
All low energy bulbs.
Balanced wet system.
4 composters & Smiley
pantsmachine

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2018, 10:28:46 PM »

Cheers! I have went back to the installer on the price of the battery install. There is a grand difference between the price of the LG 6.5 resu (high) and 3 of pylontech 2.4kw (low) and they are trying to bill me for the same money as when it was going to be the LG. I think we will be going our separate ways and i'll buy and install the batteries and get comms to the inverter myself. I will update as we go.  wackoold

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 01:01:23 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

Huge insulation depth.
All low energy bulbs.
Balanced wet system.
4 composters & Smiley
Tinbum

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2018, 08:40:59 AM »

Don't forget the VAT element. As I understand it there should be no vat on the batteries if they are installed with the PV.

nowty

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »

Don't forget the VAT element. As I understand it there should be no vat on the batteries if they are installed with the PV.

The VAT rate is 5%, not zero.

10kW of PV installed and 40+ MWh generated.
Usable battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Heat storage of 20+ kWh.
6kW Ground Source Heatpump.
190,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
A few cold frames and raised beds.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: