navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY internal cavity fill  (Read 2185 times)
skyewright

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 02:20:51 PM »

I see Silvaperl V4 online for Euro 25 per 100 ltrs on a quick net search and Micafil cost us 19 per bag discounted at Travis Perkins but if i thought there was any risk of moisture i would definitely advocate the coated product for the little extra cost.
Can anyone advise a supplier of Silvapor (the coated perlite mentioned in the other thread), as opposed to Silvaperl (which seems to be coated vermiculite)? I've tried searching, but only seem to be able to find links & data that look out of date?

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
JohnS

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2018, 04:42:01 PM »

It seems that the original manufacturer, William-Sinclair went into liquidation and it is now being made by Dupre Minerals in Stafford.

I suggest calling them and asking.

2.1kWp solar PV
skyewright

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2018, 10:52:45 AM »

It seems that the original manufacturer, William-Sinclair went into liquidation and it is now being made by Dupre Minerals in Stafford.
Thanks John. That's what I had missed.

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
pantsmachine

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2018, 02:12:22 AM »

To continue the diy insulation theme. We carried out a loft conversion 10 years ago and insulated the underfloor between downstairs ceiling and new conversion floor to spec. I had a look a few months ago and it turns out that there was a gap of approx 6" above the insulation and the underside of the loft conversion floor. It was not possible to access this space in a conventional fashion as the valleys were approx 18 foot long and only accessible from one end in the small remaining loft. (Sorry I have no photos).

Going on the 'what if' premise I brought together the following
10 mtr long wi if endoscopic camera (30)
3000w variable speed leaf blower (20 from Gumtree)
2 of tumble dryer vent hoses (from stock)
A homemade end nozzle  (from stock)
A rigid bamboo pole assembly  (from stock)
Duct tape (oh yes)  (from stock)
Dewalt drill  (from stock)
Plaster mixing paddle  (from stock)
A big mixing bucket
150 kgs of cellulose insulation (165 for 10 bags)
Couple of dust masks  (from stock)

My wife absolutely ripped into me at the high likelihood of failure. Turns out i'm not quite as thick as some think! Job went very well if insanely dusty in the beginning until i dialed in a process. Mixing up the insulation in a type of hopper really bulks it up before blowing it into place with the leafblower and dryer hoses. The camera works well and ensures that an airgap is left above the blown in cellulose to allow free travel of air. At the end of the job i ran in a few rolls of earthwool to top up on the existing insulation in the accessible part of loft and I am finally done with insulation....(for now). Smiley

The job was a hoot and extremely satisfying that it worked as hoped for, it will be interesting to see if there are tangible benefits over the next Winter. For reference, a 2000 watt leafblower would have had enough power to do the job easily. Oh yeah, I've now got a leafblower in my garden tool collection, bonus! extrahappy

« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 02:17:29 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

5.12 kw PV system with Solaredge
7.2 kw Pylon tech battery storage (Almost)
Solar I boost
200 ltr OSO system tank
Chofu fired hot tub
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees.
Thousands of flowers for bees.
kristen

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2018, 06:29:43 AM »

Bravo  genuflect
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 07:39:38 AM »

Indeed ,,Well done Pantsmachine,
                There will be a few of our members who will avail of your method, including myself.
      Thank you.
        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
offthegridandy

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 10:44:36 AM »

Aye, well done and how nice to hear that bodgenering is still alive and well.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
0.75 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 2.4 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw WBS
pantsmachine

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2018, 10:20:20 PM »

Thanks Lads, glad you like it!

The cellulose fiber is made in Ireland

https://www.ecocel.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Ecocel_tech.-data_Oct2017.pdf

It bulks up about 40% in the hopper when hit with the paddle. Also worth using a beachtowel or similar across the valley entryway to stop blowback during filling, really gets into cracks and gaps so chances at full insulation coverage are much improved.  I look forward to reading of anyone else adventures in insulation & 'what if', great fun!  Grin
« Last Edit: July 13, 2018, 06:17:34 AM by pantsmachine » Logged

Solar I boost
200 ltr OSO system tank
Chofu fired hot tub
Mike McMillan

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2018, 06:17:49 AM »

used this system a few years ago, blowing it into a a 12" space above the kitchen and bedroom in a 1850 house...the dust was horrific and silver pour started trickling out of any tiny cracks around window and door frames etc. Persevered, but I NEVER want that taste in my mouth or eyes again!

Mike

Offgrid

Osborne Bay

Off grid; 4KWH install charging Rolls 24v 1000 A.H. batteries with 3 Tristar controllers. 3KW Victron Inverter with FIT meter on output. Relay driver automatically opens circuits as battery charges. 6 x 15 experimental solar collectors feeding 250 L. tank.  Angus wood gasification boiler.
pantsmachine

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2018, 05:10:56 AM »

Smiley Its not the most comfortable job I have ever done and can't say i fancy Silvapour as a condiment. Definitely a mask for anything like this and if i could i would have worn a positive pressure variant. Sadly i don't have that at home so went with the taste of paper and interesting nose production! Kept telling myself, 'its a one time job'!

Solar I boost
200 ltr OSO system tank
Chofu fired hot tub
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: