navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie in need of Help  (Read 1066 times)
seagypsy1407u

« on: May 14, 2018, 08:31:12 PM »

Hi, all newbie here.

I've been going through as many old posts as I can but still cannot find any answers to my problems Cry.

My set up is a 200l Gledhill thermal store, I have a 20kw Aarrow stove that all works great, for hot water and the rads.
I have now installed  20 evacuated tubes, it's south facing in full sun no shadows etc.No air
The solar controller, is a Glow Worm, Clearly solar Fluropro  

All of the sensors are  in the right place, the pressure in the expansion vessel is 2bar,  no air in the system problem is when I set the solar gain modulation
When the activation difference is reached, the function is started (if activated) with an activation duration of 50 % - i.e., the pump is switched on for 30 seconds and then switched off for 30 seconds. If the difference in temperature increases, the activation duration is prolonged (e.g., 45
sec. on, 15 sec. off). When the difference in temperature decreases, the activation duration is reduced (e.g., 20 sec. on, 40 sec. off). The period length is always a minute

It runs through the above cycle, around 6 times, all temp values remain the same  then the pumps stay on?.If I switch it off and on. at the mains its starts its cycle again.But i cannot spend all day in a cupboard faint

Even on the really hot days over easter, max temp in the store was only 36c

I'll post some pictures of the system tomorrow, btw the system is on a houseboat.

Any help would be appreciated help

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 09:37:29 PM by seagypsy1407u » Logged
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 07:34:06 AM »

Morning Seagypsy and welcome.
I'm sure someone with expertise will be along shortly.
dimengineer

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 09:31:18 PM »

Does your solar controller have a simpler control mode? What you are describing sounds excessively complicated. On mine its just a simple on/off at 12/6 desgrees delta T.
It all self balances - if the suns really hot, the pump runs all the time and you get a delta of up  to 20C at which point the heat transfer into the tank equals the heat gain from the panel.

If it does have a simpler control mode, try that.

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
seagypsy1407u

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 01:50:07 PM »

Hi dimengineer, it doesnt have any simpler control mode,I have done a factory re-set loads of times.

May just bite the bullet and try a more basic one

pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 03:36:01 PM »

Looking at the manual, it does have a "Solar gain modulation function" that can be set to "off". This should turn it into a simple differential controller. The on and off temp differentials are also in the settings, default 7/3 degC.
seagypsy1407u

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 08:51:39 AM »

Hi Pj

I have tried the modulation to off and the temps are set to default but the pump just continues to run
even after the sun has set

Thanks
peter
pj

Nom de Plume

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 10:32:18 AM »

At a guess, it's possible your temp sensors are reporting incorrectly for some reason. Again, from the manual, you can read the two sensor values from the "Service Menu". Try looking at those to see if it should switch off. If the "lower cylinder sensor value" is reading too low - maybe it's fallen off - then the pump , once started, would continue to run forever (whilst there's warm water in the cylinder).
Other than that, I'm at a loss what to suggest.  Smiley
Westie

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 11:58:18 AM »

Like PJ said, start by checking your temp sensor readings, I'm afraid I've no experience with your controller but it does seem overly complicated. Most of us use a pretty straight forward Navitron TDC3 controller which controls the pump/s based on temp difference.   An old trick for troubleshooting controller problems is the setup up a video camera to capture 24 hrs of operation, then at least you don't have to live in a cupboard to try and work out whats going on Grin

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
Antman
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 03:12:08 PM »

Hi seagypsy
Are you actually getting circulation? Even though you don't think there is air in the system, the controller action and lack of thermal gain would imply there is no (or inadequate) flow for some reason.
Silly question but are both pump iso valves open? Gate type valves can fail closed when the shaft shears from the gate even though the handle still turns OK.
Also check any non return valve is not stuck closed.
Regards
Antman

20 x 47mm, 172 l cylinder, Heat Dump, 15 x Sanyo HIT-H250E, SB4000TL,  Nestor Martin IQ13 WBS
DIY Solar System Support at http://www.handyantman.co.uk/antman.html
All support is voluntary and free of charge. I'm not employed by Navitron so responses may not be same-day
seagypsy1407u

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2018, 01:45:58 PM »

Hi thanks for all those offered me advice and suggestions, i ended up buying a STDCV2 which is much a easier controller, but the last few days  im having a few problems.
With the  S1 collector temp every now and then, goes up to around 160C, thats just the temp not the fluid.
if i switch it off, and on it then shows it normal working temp around 44c.

All the sensor are new and the correct ones. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: