navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iBoost wont turn off!  (Read 416 times)
Miked2714

« on: May 14, 2018, 08:42:03 PM »

We've had an iBoost for just over two years, and it has worked flawlessly until last week. It is now refusing to modulate itself and just heats the HW immersion element regardless of how much electricity is being generated by solar. This results in it drawing on the grid. My suspicion is that it's running at maximum (3kW) regardless as I can hear the immersion element "kettling" (and I can see on my energy monitor what we're drawing from the grid) BUT it's generally reporting on the LCD that it's "off".

The wireless connection to the sender / clamp unit in the meter box is fine so far as I know, it's certainly not saying it's lost contact.

I've turned off the master switch between iBoost and immersion for now.

Any ideas.? Installer not much use unfortunately. They prompted the iBoost as it was apparently more reliable than the other well known brand. I will go back to Marlec, but I just wondered if anyone had encountered this problem before, or am I missing something.
thanks
Mike
sunandwindy

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 12:48:53 PM »

I'd be interested to hear what Marlec have to say as mine does the same/similar and a friend who has the same also does it. I've not really stopped to examine it closely.

'ours' must be about four years or more since install.

Miked2714

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 08:09:35 AM »

Thanks, at least I'm not the only one. Do you just switch on your immersion manually now when its sunny?

I might try an inquiry via their facebook page.
TheFairway

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 09:54:35 AM »

I don't think this is the case as you say that it is drawing from the grid and you hear kettling, but will just mention it incase anyone else stumbles upon this with a similar issue.

With some immersion controllers that have a neon indicator, this will still glow even though the comtroller effectively says that it is 'off'. Not sure of the reason, but suspect some imperfect 'off' condition in the controller or capacitance inducing a tiny voltage enough for the neon to glow but not enough to create any measurable or usable current.

So just because the neon indicator is on, doesn't necessarily mean that the immersion is heating.

3.995kWp SE PV. 5kW Burley Hollywell woodburner. Vent-Axia Sentinel Kinetic Plus MVHR

All posts are my own personal thoughts and opinions and do not represent those of my employer, clients or partners.

sunandwindy

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 10:05:40 AM »

So just because the neon indicator is on, doesn't necessarily mean that the immersion is heating.
In my case I haven't looked at the neon on the spur switch, it was the rumbling in the tank I was going by.

Antman
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 07:24:11 PM »

Mike
I am not familiar with the innards of the iBoost but it sounds like the SSR (solid state relay) - assuming that is what they have used - has failed short circuit. That would give the symptoms you describe.
Regards
Antman

20 x 47mm, 172 l cylinder, Heat Dump, 15 x Sanyo HIT-H250E, SB4000TL,  Nestor Martin IQ13 WBS
DIY Solar System Support at http://www.handyantman.co.uk/antman.html
All support is voluntary and free of charge. I'm not employed by Navitron so responses may not be same-day
offthegridandy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 08:16:27 PM »

Doesn't the thermostat in the immersion turn the power off when the set temperature is achieved?

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
0.75 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 2.4 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw WBS
Dave Fowler

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 09:27:03 PM »

Mike
I am not familiar with the innards of the iBoost but it sounds like the SSR (solid state relay) - assuming that is what they have used - has failed short circuit. That would give the symptoms you describe.
Regards
Antman
It wouldn't be an SSR (on/off device) but a proportional controller like the PAC2 from United Automation.  I'd agree in the theory that the output appears to have gone permanently 'on'.
Tinbum

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 09:22:45 AM »

I don't think this is the case as you say that it is drawing from the grid and you hear kettling, but will just mention it incase anyone else stumbles upon this with a similar issue.

With some immersion controllers that have a neon indicator, this will still glow even though the comtroller effectively says that it is 'off'. Not sure of the reason, but suspect some imperfect 'off' condition in the controller or capacitance inducing a tiny voltage enough for the neon to glow but not enough to create any measurable or usable current.

The neon would only come on if the immersion controller is diverting to the tank or the tank is up to temperature and the thermostat has cut in. It wont be on if the immersion controller is not diverting and the tank is below temp.

It's due to a slight 'leak' though the SSR /triac when in the off state. A high resistance resistor from the output of the SSR to neutral is enough to stop it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 09:25:23 AM by Tinbum » Logged

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: