navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wind power overtakes nuclear for first time in UK across a quarter  (Read 290 times)
M

« on: May 16, 2018, 07:22:05 AM »

Wind power overtakes nuclear for first time in UK across a quarter

Britainís windfarms provided more electricity than its eight nuclear power stations in the first three months of 2018, marking the first time wind has overtaken nuclear across a quarter.

The renewable energy industry hailed the milestone as a sign the UK was well on its way to an electricity system powered by cheap, domestic green energy.

Across the first quarter, wind power produced 18.8% of electricity, second only to gas, said a report by researchers at Imperial College London.

At one point overnight on 17 March, wind turbines briefly provided almost half of the UKís electricity. Wind power helped during the cold snaps, too, supplying 12-43% of electricity during the six subzero days in the first three months of the year.

Two nuclear plants were temporarily offline for routine maintenance, while another was shut because of seaweed in the cooling system.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 07:27:09 AM »

Next thing you'll be telling us that wind won out over 6 months Mart. fingers crossed!
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
M

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 07:36:20 AM »

Next thing you'll be telling us that wind won out over 6 months Mart. fingers crossed!
Stan

Actually I was wondering about that, or to be correct, with growing wind and nuclear shutdowns most likely ahead of new nuclear commissioning, I assume that wind will overtake nuclear on an annual basis in the medium term?

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
oliver90owner

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 08:38:55 AM »

Iím not so bothered about wind versus nuclear.  What seems more important is low carbon versus fossil fuel generation.

Wind, hydro, solar, nuclear (that which we already have!), tidal and (begrudingly, for some of it) biomass, along with pumped storage (as long as it is created by surplus low-carbon energy).

I do recognise that pumped storage, while buying energy cheap and selling it higher, does provide other benefits within the generating system.
dimengineer

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 08:41:06 AM »

Stan

Actually I was wondering about that, or to be correct, with growing wind and nuclear shutdowns most likely ahead of new nuclear commissioning, I assume that wind will overtake nuclear on an annual basis in the medium term?

Inevitable I'd say. More WInd farms are still coming on line. The old nuclear fleet is slowing fading away, and even if Hinkley and Wylfa and Sizewell all get built it wont be until 2030 when all 3 are on stream, and they'll only give roughly what we have now.

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: