navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla Oz battery saved 70% of its cost in 4 months.  (Read 597 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« on: May 16, 2018, 09:57:54 AM »

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/05/15/elon-musk-harpooned-baseload-power/

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
MeatyFool

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 11:44:20 AM »

I won't pretend that I understand how this battery facility has been used, even given the explanation in the article, but the use it has been put to since inception is the same in any centralised grid structure, so other countries (Oz states?) must be seriously considering similar.

Having said that (!), the FF big guns are probably already firing at government levels to ensure that this doesn't happen!

Meatyfool..
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 07:51:08 PM »

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/06/analysis-reveals-that-worlds-largest-battery-saves-south-australia-8-9-million-in-6-months/

I canít tie these figures in with the first post. Huh
Stan
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 07:58:57 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
pdf27

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 08:31:02 PM »

I **think** they're apples to oranges.
  • The $8.9 million is revenue made by the battery from providing frequency response services to the grid, i.e. the difference between the price it bought power at and the price it sold it back to the grid at.
  • The $35 million is savings to consumers made thanks to the battery - i.e. the difference between what they paid for power sold back to the grid by the battery and the price they would have been paying under the previous system where unused fossil power plants would be brought online to provide the same power.

It really isn't a surprise that batteries are a cost-effective way of providing frequency-response to the grid - for this you need a lot of power very fast indeed, but not much energy. Batteries are inherently very good at this, fossil plant inherently very bad. Note that in the UK every single frequency response contract is going to batteries at the moment, even if none of them are by Tesla so they don't get the column-inches.
https://www.energy-storage.news/news/fascinating-challenges-overcome-by-vatenfall-as-uk-efr-battery-goes-online
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 09:13:16 PM »

Thankyou pdf27.
Stan

stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 07:11:14 AM »

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/29/tesla-big-battery-responds-to-power-system-emergency-in-australia/

kristen

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 11:01:12 AM »

How do we get Government to actually do something about Climate Change, rather than constantly being in the back-pocket of Big Oil?

I've never been an activist, preferring just to "do my bit", as well as nagging all my rich-ba$tard friends to do more and stop waiting for subsidy ...

But even I am thinking I need to take up a cudgel
linesrg

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 03:08:33 PM »

Kristen,

I think a complete change of system of administration is required but I guess big money, in all its guises isn't going to see that happen. In fairness to genuine minded politicians it is a precarious way of earning a living. I wouldn't want the way I voted to be influenced by thoughts of income or 'toeing the party line'.

Like you I'm trying to do my bit, not all of it makes strict economic sense but at least I'm doing what I can and when conversations with people I work with or come into contact with turn to appropriate areas I will promote what I'm doing. Only the other evening I was discussing the heat pump, solar PV and ET with the farmer who rents our field.

He's had an application for a 50kW turbine turned down due to an objection by the local estate (Mar Lodge for anybody interested) so has been thwarted in that regard.

Regards

Richard

16 BP380 on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 16 Chinese 80W/SB1700, 16 BP380/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery and a Renault Zoe
azps

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 05:00:04 PM »

How do we get Government to actually do something about Climate Change, rather than constantly being in the back-pocket of Big Oil?

I've never been an activist, preferring just to "do my bit", as well as nagging all my rich-ba$tard friends to do more and stop waiting for subsidy ...

But even I am thinking I need to take up a cudgel

1. Write to your MP. They get emails and letters on all sorts of subjects. The ones they get pestered about, they'll pester the House of Commons about. They get very few letters on climate change. Be specific about what you want your MP to do. Maybe that's to ask a specific question to the Secretary of State at BEIS. Maybe it's to push for a particular enquiry by a Select Committee that they're a member of.

2. Write to your MEP. Similar to the above. I know we've probably only got them for another 7 months, but that's better than nothing.

3. Get involved with an significant political party (Scotland: SNP, Con, Lab; England: Lib, Lab, Con; etc)at the national level if you can. Don't mess about with local parties, they're useless. Go to the top if you can, or try elsewhere if you can't.

4. When it comes to hustings for national elections, be there at the front asking the first question about what they're going to do about climate change. Again, try to be specific about what you want them to do.

When I say "be specific", I don't mean "be excessively detailed".

DO NOT say: can you put in a PV tariff with a degression that reduces FIT payments on a quarterly basis by 4% for every 9.4% increase in deployment, banded at 2 kW, 10kW and 20kW, with a {blahblahblah no one cares everyone's lost interest already}.

Instead, try something like: 'The UK has committed to the Paris Climate Agreement. There are many things that need to be done to get the UK quickly to carbon neutral, including switching from petrol and diesel cars to electric ones. It only takes 3 years to build a factory that can produce a million electric vehicles a year. The government says we have to wait until 2040 before we stop selling fossil cars. The UK could be seize a huge industrial advantage, and be a world leader, by bringing that deadline forward to 2025. What will you do to make this happen?

Get any trade bodies or unions you're a member of, to do the same thing.

Do industrial things for decarbonisation, if your career allows.

kristen

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 06:56:37 PM »

Very helpful, thanks. I need to get over the "what difference can I make at government level" (whereas I have no problem with what I can do personally, and arm-twisting friends), so I just need to get over that and will ruminate, with family, on approach to take higher-up-the-tree.

I don't think very quickly on-my-feet, so might well struggle if I need to have a debate with someone ... my best arguments will come to me "tomorrow".  That said, I have no difficulty at all on subjects that I work closely on .. so probably should devote some time to "working closely" on this too. Maybe I could get a job influencing something ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: