navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote monitoring of Sunny Boy SB1200  (Read 2328 times)
wehey
« on: May 20, 2018, 04:34:50 PM »

Hi all. First post here.
Does anyone know if it's possible to set up some sort of remote monitoring on my SB1200?
It's all setup in my shed and I have to do the walk of shame up the garden whenever I want to see what it's generating.

I'm using the excess to charge my Nissan Leaf and it would be really useful to be able to monitor it from indoors?
Thanks in advance

jonesy

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 04:57:28 PM »

The short answer is yes.
The long answer depends on whether you want to make something or buy something.
I made something based on the reference docs that SMA publish. I think they also sell a unit.
There is lots for raspberry pi too.
I can give you some links on the DIY versions.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
wehey
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 05:20:47 PM »

The short answer is yes.
I made something based on the reference docs that SMA publish. I think they also sell a unit.

Yeah go for it. I'm always up for a bit of (simple) DIY 😀
Westie

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 06:51:40 PM »

How remote do you mean?  It has an RS232/422 port and an optional Bluetooth card both of which will work with Sunny Explorer.

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
wehey
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 06:57:29 PM »

How remote do you mean?  It has an RS232/422 port and an optional Bluetooth card both of which will work with Sunny Explorer.

The shed is about 30ft up the garden 😬
JohnS

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 09:36:56 AM »

Look at the thread on displays and put one in the house.   Fit the clamp on the live cable where it enters the Henley block or consumer unit.

To be honest, 1.2kW is not going to go far in charging a Leaf after taking into account your base load.

2.1kWp solar PV
TheFairway
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 10:09:16 AM »

The shed is about 30ft up the garden 😬

I have no experience with Sunny Explorer, but I use bluetooth headsets on 800m indoor electric karting track across 2 levels with metal framing and have absolutely no issues  - until I stick a bluetooth enabled camera on the same helmet. So range at least 100m and probably alot further.

May be worth someone doing a test with their Sunny Explorer to see the range of the bluetooth option.
jonesy

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 11:01:27 AM »

The short answer is yes.

Yeah go for it. I'm always up for a bit of (simple) DIY 😀
http://vdeconinck.github.io/SMysqLogger/
http://ictoblog.nl/raspberry-pi/raspberrypi-pvoutput
That last one definitely works - I know someone with very little experience setting it up.
The output from the older SMA gear like the SB1200 (and probably the newer ones still) is standard serial at 1200 baud. I made a simple opto isolator and decoded the signal in a PIC, but there is bound to be someone who has done this in Arduino now. There is a protocol which swaps a few bytes, but it's not difficult. I then push the data to PVoutput, but I also serve it locally including all the operating messages (about 10) You could just skip the PVoutput bit and put a local LCD with the output and error messages.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
linesrg

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 12:36:17 PM »

whey,

I would second JohnS, exactly how much energy are you realistically going to get to charge an EV from a system this size?

Regards

Richard

1.28kW on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000 + 1.44kW/ SB3000TL-21 (FIT), 1.28kW/ SB1700 (ROO/FIT). CTC GSi12 heat pump/Ecosol/Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3off Navitron 4720AL Solar ET & Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090. 3.375kW/ SMA SB3600TL-21 and a Sunny Island 4.4M-12 c/w 15.2kWh battery and a Renault Zoe.
wehey
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 05:34:45 PM »

whey,

I would second JohnS, exactly how much energy are you realistically going to get to charge an EV from a system this size?

Regards

Richard

Not a huge amount, 2-3 kw per day, but the car is charging anyway and I'd rather it goes into the car than back to the grid.
I'm hoping to get a charger for the car that charges at 1.4 kw, rather than the 2.2 kw that the granny charger. This way more of the surplus can be used, with the grid just topping up.
TheFairway
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 05:51:16 PM »

I would have thought that charging at 1.4kW was still way more than you will have surplice in you setup, except on maybe a handful of occasions.
wehey
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2018, 06:05:52 PM »

I would have thought that charging at 1.4kW was still way more than you will have surplice in you setup, except on maybe a handful of occasions.
Our house ticks over and consumes 150-200 watts.
The panels are producing 900-1100 watts on a sunny day and 6ish kWh per day
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: