navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What chemistry of car battery is this?  (Read 604 times)
DanielCoffey

« on: December 17, 2018, 07:57:56 AM »

Please excuse me if this is in the wrong place but I have a question about the chemistry of a small 12V lead acid battery.

I have bought a second hand diesel riding mower and it has an unbranded 45Ah 12V battery in it. There are no brand labels anywhere. Since taking these pictures I have removed the battery, cleaned it properly and refitted the terminals and the pigtail for a battery tender. My battery charger/tender needs me to select the chemistry type to best look after the battery.

All I know for certain is what is on the label...

Battery Voltage : 12V
Description : SMF 51R
Part No : K3181-61144
Cold Cranking Amps : 430
Cranking Amps : 540
Reserve Capacity : 80 minutes
Amp Hours (at 20h rate) : 45

I assume SMF means Sealed Maintenance Free. As you can see from the picture it has a built-in hygrometer float so I don't know if that makes it a wet type or not.

I reckon I have choices of Wet, Sealed Wet, Calcium, Gel and AGM.

Thoughts?

* IMG_0880.jpg (70.62 KB, 640x480 - viewed 177 times.)

* IMG_0883.jpg (73.75 KB, 640x480 - viewed 182 times.)

* IMG_0884.jpg (45.94 KB, 640x480 - viewed 167 times.)
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 08:21:13 AM »

Morning Daniel,

Just a regular SLA (sealed lead acid) so select ‘wet sealed’.

Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 08:27:19 AM »

Lovely, thanks.

The battery has had a hard two years in a commercial diesel riding mower which has been serviced and come to me for its retirement. I have already discovered that zip ties are a landscape gardener's best friend when it comes to saving money on grass collecting bags! Dozens of the little devils all over the box at the back! They were hidden under the grass that had built up in the bag and were exposed when I blasted it all off.

I will put the battery through one Recondition cycle from the tender and then hopefully I should not need to do that again.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 08:36:11 AM by DanielCoffey » Logged
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:25:13 AM »

Hello Daniel.
         Aldi. From time to time sell a 12V battery charger an intelligent  one that reads the battery before it commencing charging. They used to  cost around 20 euros . They had 3 settings. They last a long time and are easy on electricity. Our geni can sit for 4 month stretches before  I go near it. I switch on the little battery charger for half an hour before turning the key.  I keep one plumbed in permanently. It ensures immediate start.
        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 09:57:19 AM »

Lovely, thanks.

The battery has had a hard two years in a commercial diesel riding mower which has been serviced and come to me for its retirement. I have already discovered that zip ties are a landscape gardener's best friend when it comes to saving money on grass collecting bags! Dozens of the little devils all over the box at the back! They were hidden under the grass that had built up in the bag and were exposed when I blasted it all off.

I will put the battery through one Recondition cycle from the tender and then hopefully I should not need to do that again.

If it has had a ‘hard’ life chances are it is in good condition having been regularly used and well charged by the mowers alternator.

P

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
DanielCoffey

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 10:19:12 AM »

Thanks folks - wet it is then.

I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 charger/tender and yes, it does have a "Wet" programme that does differ from the AGM/Gel one. Assuming it charges and gives me a green light I'll skip the recondition this time.

The mower is a diesel Kubota GR1600-II and has just over 450 hours on the clock spread over two years. The owner prefers his workers to always have reliable equipment so releases all plant with engines at the two year mark and buys new again. This winter it was the turn of this Kubota and I got it. Fully serviced and all grease points attended, new blades only a month ago after a "concealed brick" accident and only cosmetic dings on the bodywork. Oh, and about half a bag of zip ties at the back!
camillitech

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 11:04:03 AM »

Aye the wee Kubotas are pretty bombproof Daniel 450h is nothing, I have just serviced a wee tracked dumper with almost ten times that on the hour meter and all it needed was a heater plug.

JohnS

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 01:13:47 PM »

Your battery looks to be one of these:

https://www.delkor.com.au/en-au/products/delkor-calcium-batteries/51r-430

2.1kWp solar PV
oliver90owner

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 01:33:23 PM »

That would be sort of my first question:  Has the battery been removed to check for the brand name?

As above it is almost certainly a sealed flooded lead acid barrery.  They area all wet - some with water and some with gel or with the electrolyte absorbed on a mat of material.  Doubtless the battery will be specified in the owner’s manual.
DanielCoffey

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »

Yes I have taken the battery out to check and the only label is the safety and spec one on the top. The date code is not completed and there is no branding anywhere.

The only spec in the Kubota manual is 51R 430CCA.

In the battery bay there is enough room for a battery 20mm wider than this one but not much deeper or taller because the retaining bars are near the top of their threads. Fortunately this battery seems healthy and passes the CTEK charger programme for Wet batteries. It did take four hours to finish the Absorption stage from 80% to 100% though.
chris_n

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2018, 03:25:15 PM »

51R is the BCI group size, SMF is sealed maintenance free. So wet lead acid.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: