navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: London Electric Taxis on the road  (Read 2407 times)
dan_b

« on: May 21, 2018, 04:14:06 PM »

So I've now spotted my 2nd electric London Taxi on the road in in use - first one was a couple of months ago working on the South Circular near Clapham. This one was yesterday on the M4 approaching Heathrow Airport - definitely a different cabbie as this one was sporting an all-white livery, vs the all-black paint job of the first one I saw.   Great to have seen another one on the road.  Anyone else seen one yet, or taken a fare in one?!

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
Mudman

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 02:29:06 PM »

Yes, I've een four around the east end in the last two weeks- the kids got excited when i pointed one out on the way to school then we saw a different one at the same crossing the next day as we follow our lower - pollution walking route down the back streets!
TheFairway
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 04:52:43 PM »

One was parked up outside work today so I went to have a look.

The cabbie was very talkative and very positive about it although suspect there were a few minor teething issues that sounded like they were now sorted. He and his passengers all seem very impressed, especially at its comfort.

I had a brief look inside and it was a much bigger space - its now a 6 rather then 5 seater. The panoramic roof seems to be a hit too. Its much taller than I expected, and probably longer - cabbie said it was wider too.

He is based outside London and gets 60 miles on EV. As its a Rex, apart from around town, EV range is not critical. He seemed more than happy with its EV capabilities.

Cost was around 60k and he expects it to last at least 10 years. Doesn't seem too bad to me as a business asset, although he is up against Uber. TBH, I know what I would rather be riding in so maybe Uber taking over the world is a bit premature.
Westie

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 06:26:36 PM »

Hmmm...  I wonder how this range extender EV black cab will perform under the new WLTP rules about to replace the discredited NEDC standard this September.....

Seems BMW and Mercedes are going to discontinue their PHEV ranges as these models effectively 'gamed' the NEDC rules to produce those ridiculously high MPG figures they claim for PHEVs, in turn this
reduced the claimed carbon emissions to artificially low figures reducing the taxes paid by their drivers and also made those vehicles qualify for a catagory 2 plug in grant.  Under the new WLTP rules this 'gaming' doesn't work and as a consequence PHEV's will disappear from manufactureres model lists!  
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 06:48:52 PM by Westie » Logged

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
TheFairway
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 07:12:41 PM »

Its not about gaming MPG figures, its about meeting current Taxi legislation and genuinely running zero tailpipe emissions within London - a 60 mile EV range will cover pretty much a days worth of fares within London I would suspect and that's before having an increasing number of opportunities to sneak a charge in at a charge point.
Westie

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 09:07:09 PM »

Its not about gaming MPG figures, its about meeting current Taxi legislation and genuinely running zero tailpipe emissions within London - a 60 mile EV range will cover pretty much a days worth of fares within London I would suspect and that's before having an increasing number of opportunities to sneak a charge in at a charge point.

That's why I used the term 'I wonder'  whistlie The new taxi is a range range extender EV not a PHEV.  It's like a BMW i3 REX which is the only EV vehicle that's tempted me to date. I haven't any info on how WLTP may affect  REX EV's yet but it's going to be bad for PHEV's.

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
peterboat

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 08:42:23 PM »

I am also glad that the real rules are changing for PHEVs my step sons Golf GTE is a joke he regularly only gets 12 miles on electric, maybe it will get better as summer gets on but he is not impressed in the slightest! For me the black cab has a real range and should be the benchmark for all range extenders [Hybrids are a waste of time if they dont have that range] so maybe a change will be coming whistlie
dan_b

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 01:14:03 PM »

Saw another EV London Taxi at the weekend Smiley

4kW PowerVault Battery
dan_b

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2018, 07:39:09 PM »

Well, today counts as a good day for the nascent embryonic sport of "Electric Black Cab Spotting". 

Today I saw 3!  2x were whilst I was driving West on the M4 towards Heathrow and they were heading East back from Heathrow into London. The 3rd was when I was making the opposite journey and the EV Taxi in question was on its way to Heathrow.  Two were black and the 3rd was emblazoned in advertising.   

They're very easy to spot - very distinctively a London Taxi, but a sort of Mad Max version of one. 

It would be good to see more than 3 in a day very soon though given how many thousands of regular diesel Black Cabs there are on the road.

4kW PowerVault Battery
dan_b

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2018, 11:01:26 AM »

Saw another one on the road this morning, which got me wondering how many are now on the streets of London.

Seems this article suggests 300 in London, 350 across the UK.
https://www.techdigest.tv/2018/07/350-electric-black-cabs-now-on-road.html

There are an estimated 21,000 black cabs in London, so just over 1% are now EV. 

4kW PowerVault Battery
brackwell

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2018, 11:45:23 AM »

I wonder if demand is greater than supply ?
dan_b

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2018, 12:31:15 PM »

According to this article, the Coventry factory should be capable of 20,000 vehicles a year, but whether they're at full production rate yet or still in a Tesla-like "production ramp hell" is not stated!

https://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/2152000/li-shufu-has-us15-billion-dream-geelys-london-black-taxis-ply

4kW PowerVault Battery
Barrie

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2018, 01:45:31 PM »

Was the first one you saw a Metrocab? They've certainly been running some of their test fleet in white and they would have been first to market by about three years if they hadn't been prevented/dissuaded from selling any by an extended court case in which Geely took Metrocab to court for breach of trademark over the shape of the cab?! That's now been resolved in Metrocab's favour.

In theory they are about to enter production at two thirds the price, a smaller (50 mile) EV range and a 1.0l petrol range extender compared to the LEVC model.

FT version of the story including Metrocab's production targets:
https://www.ft.com/content/43ff2694-32b8-11e8-b5bf-23cb17fd1498

Milton Keynes
dan_b

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2018, 02:10:41 PM »

No, all the ones I've seen have been the Geeley one.

4kW PowerVault Battery
TheFairway
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2018, 07:31:33 PM »

Not sure if the Frazer Nash Metrocab has yet to make the full light of day due to a few issues.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: