navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: log burners do i need worry?  (Read 1326 times)
cypher007

« on: May 22, 2018, 01:05:28 PM »

seen today the governments latest witch hunt seems to be people with log burners.

I have a Burley Hollywell 89.1% efficient DEFRA approved stove and live on the edge of a rural village.

personally I cant see how than can stop people from burning whatever they get there hands on. I only burn logs, but my neighbour seems to burn lumps of treated wood and all sorts.

Look, I ain't in this for your revolution, and I'm not in it for you, princess (renewables). I expect to be well paid. I'm in it for the money.

Steca Coolcept-x 3600, Solarworld 265wp Mono-Black, 3.975kwp.
Artiglio

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 07:44:13 PM »

Most of what’s been reported will be impractical to enforce, in the long term only approved stoves will be for sale, but they will still smoke if used badly, the controls on fuel will just ramp up costs and do little to change what finally goes in the stove. But hopefully the legislation will be sufficiently robust to give councils a straightforward and timely process with which to deal with those that use their stoves in a polluting/antisocial manner.
Though evennif the legislation exists it will still need councils to enforce it and in the absence of additional funding or the ability to keep revenues from fines, i don’t see much ever being done other than some councils imposing clean air zones.
dimengineer

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 03:29:59 PM »

I suspect the only enforcement will be in the middle of cities, where they will be banned, full stop.

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
djs63

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:16:28 PM »

What happened to smokeless zones? Do they still exist?

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
supremetwo

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 11:12:50 PM »

What happened to smokeless zones? Do they still exist?
Yes.
https://www.gov.uk/smoke-control-area-rules
Many parts of the UK are smoke control areas where you can’t emit smoke from a chimney unless you’re burning an authorised fuel or using ‘exempt appliances’, for example burners or stoves.
You can be fined up to £1,000 if you break the rules.
--------------------------------------
Exempt appliances that can burn unauthorised fuels
Unauthorised fuels, such as wood, can only be burned in exempt appliances such as some boilers, cookers and stoves.
You must only use the types of fuel that the manufacturer says can be used in the appliance.
----------------------------------------
Outdoor ovens, burners and barbecues
You can use outdoor barbecues, chimineas, fireplaces or pizza ovens.
Any of these appliances that release smoke through a chimney of a building - for example a summerhouse - can only burn authorised fuel or must be exempt.
----------------------------------------
Garden bonfires
You’re allowed garden bonfires in smoke control areas but you need to follow the rules on bonfires.

Some wood-derived fuels are authorised, e.g. Homefire Fire Log
https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/fuel-details.php?id=89
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 11:18:51 PM by supremetwo » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: