navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GSHP Servicing Costs  (Read 1025 times)
Whimbley

« on: May 19, 2018, 07:57:50 PM »

We've had our ground source system running for just under a year now, had a few teething problems along the way but everything is sorted now.

The installer we used has sent a quote for an 'Annual Service Agreement' which comes to £300. Looking at what they do, it's just a filter clean, pressure/visual check of the ground loop and check the pump settings. Seems a bit steep for something that should take around 30 mins, an hour tops? I've never paid more than £80-90 for a gas boiler service and that always seemed to have more work involved.

Are they trying to rip us off? We had the filters cleaned a few weeks ago when their guy came over to fix the last remaining problem, so it shouldn't even need doing again already.

My only concern would be the warranty cover if a 'proper' service isn't recorded. Is it worth ringing around other approved installers of the heat pump we have?
marshman

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 10:30:36 AM »

We've had our ground source system running for just under a year now, had a few teething problems along the way but everything is sorted now.

The installer we used has sent a quote for an 'Annual Service Agreement' which comes to £300. Looking at what they do, it's just a filter clean, pressure/visual check of the ground loop and check the pump settings. Seems a bit steep for something that should take around 30 mins, an hour tops? I've never paid more than £80-90 for a gas boiler service and that always seemed to have more work involved.

Are they trying to rip us off? We had the filters cleaned a few weeks ago when their guy came over to fix the last remaining problem, so it shouldn't even need doing again already.

My only concern would be the warranty cover if a 'proper' service isn't recorded. Is it worth ringing around other approved installers of the heat pump we have?
Is the £300 just for 1 year or is it for say 5 years?  If just 1 yeàr then as you say it is very steep. There is little to do as you also say, look at the system pressures, qùick visual check for leaks and a flush of any filters - possibly sample the ground loop fluid.  Yes the manufacturer will need to see evidence of servicing in the event of a claim so I would shop around.

My system has just turned off after its 3rd heating season and the only maintenence has been to flush the brine filter once a year - even that was essentially unnecessary as it was spotless anyway. The ground loops have not lost any pressure and I have only topped up the UFH side once.

Roger

3.15kWpk (15xSharp ND210)/SB3000. & 3.675kWpk (15 x Suntech 245WD)/SB4000TL, 10kW GSHP driving Wirsbo underfloor heating from 1200m ground loops. 10' x 7' solar wall (experimental). Clearview 650 Wood Burning Stove. MHRV - diy retrofit. Triple glazing.
Bodidly

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »

Cant comment on the warrantee side of things but in 7+ years our GSHP has needed nothing! I do check the filters once in a blue moon and they are always spotless.

So saved £2100 in servicing which would buy a lot of parts if there was an issue. Yes it sounds like a rip off.
linesrg

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 01:10:33 PM »

Good Afternoon All,

My annual service cost me £190 and was deemed necessary if I wanted to retain the CTC warranty. Don't ask me how I feel about it as I might have to resort to expletives.

I was at the Fintray hill climb yesterday doing a bit of marshalling and noting the boss of the firm who did the installing was racing his single seater there. I was tempted to ask him when they were going to get my Solar ET installation functioning correctly........................

Regards

Richard

1.28kW on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000 + 1.44kW/ SB3000TL-21 (FIT), 1.28kW/ SB1700 (ROO/FIT). CTC GSi12 heat pump/Ecosol/Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3off Navitron 4720AL Solar ET & Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090. 3.375kW/ SMA SB3600TL-21 and a Sunny Island 4.4M-12 c/w 15.2kWh battery and a Renault Zoe.
Mikel

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 01:15:42 PM »

From our GSHP User Manual:

“Maintenance

No routine maintenance is required to Comact Heat Pumps and there are no serviceable components inside. if further help is required telephone our helpline.

Before cleaning, always switch off the appliance at the electrical isolator. Use only soap and a damp cloth; do not use solvents.”

Whimbley

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 05:49:50 PM »

Thanks for the replies all.

The contract they supplied stated the cost was for one service only!

Think I'll give them a ring tomorrow to see what they're playing at, and get some quotes from other CTC installers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: