navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Third Runway at Heathrow  (Read 505 times)
linesrg

« on: June 06, 2018, 11:19:12 AM »

Good Morning All,

I half expected somebody to make a posting about yesterday's announcement iro the Government backing the third runway at Heathrow?

I thought it ironic that this proposal, which will obviously be a significant contribution to poorer air quality, occurred on what was World Environment Day!!!!!

Regards

Richard
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:45:37 PM by linesrg » Logged

16 BP380 on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 16 Chinese 80W/SB1700, 16 BP380/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery and a Renault Zoe
spaces

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 12:33:44 PM »

I'm surprised it has taken so long to materialise - perhaps some new figures show projected cleaning-up of vehicle emissions by the runway completion date will roughly make up for the increased aircraft pollution?

Simplicity, the ultimate refinement
TheFairway
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 07:05:09 PM »

I think that was the intention from the start.
phoooby

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 08:57:04 PM »

Gatwick seemed the obvious choice to me due to space available and potential speed of build. They could even of put in a dedicated non stop high speed rail link between the two airports (25-30 mins non stop) and perhaps even linked that to HS2 somewhere to get people from Gatwick up to the midlands etc without taking another short haul flight.

6kw WBS, Nissan Leaf 24 (gone), Tesla Model S, Nissan env-200.
dan_b

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 07:09:28 AM »

This article pretty much sums up my mood and is probably the only time anyone has been honest about Heathrow R3.

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/ministers-claim-third-heathrow-runway-vital-for-mass-exodus-from-this-shitty-country-20180606173925

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
M

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 08:45:22 AM »

With the hoped for electric planes for short flights, maybe the Heathrow extension should be limited to no more 'noisy and fuel burning' planes than today. So extra flights, but no increase in noise, or proper taxes on aviation fuel to reduce demand. Just pondering.

Just call me Mart.     Cardiff: 5.58kWp PV - (3.58kWp SE3500 + 2kWp SE2200 WNW)
AndrewE

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2018, 10:38:21 PM »

It's just completely predictable and depressing. I'm not a fan of air travel at all, but I do recognise that some of it is inevitable...  Manchester and Glasgow have had lots of licenses for transatlantic flights taken off them over the last few decades so that anyone from further north than Watford has no option but to go via Heathrow if they want to go to anywhere other than a couple of US hubs...
All to build the case for Heathrow as a major hub to compete with Schiphol or Frankfurt, and sod the inconvenience to the rest of the UK population and the pollution around Heathrow.  Lots of the so-called "demand" at Heathrow is connecting shuttle flights from not very far away in the UK, which should be dealt with by either more flights from other regional airports and/or better rail services from the rest of the UK.  I wonder why the link from HS2 (i.e. the north) to Heathrow was dropped from the plans?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 08:36:08 PM by AndrewE » Logged
dimengineer

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2018, 12:18:11 PM »

As one who lives a short distance away from Heathrow, I think the whole thing is absurd. Yes, we need more runway capacity in the SE, but Heathrow is not the place for it. It is already crammed in, hemmed in, congested. Just because a 3rd runway to the north is just about possible, does not make it sensible or realistic. 

The idea that you can practically build a runway across the M25 at Colnbrook, just south of the M4 is beyond belief. It is the busiest piece of road in West Europe, for goodness sake!

Long before we ever do R3 (which I hope we never do), there are masses of infrastructure issues at Heathrow need fixing - like access.

Gatwick or Stanstead make far more long term sense. Stanstead in particular, as Gatwick is in the wrong place really.

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
dan_b

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2018, 01:12:54 PM »

Agree with everything Dimengineer has said. But also that in this era of Brexit and and alleged desire to reduce UK emissions, the idea that we need another runway in the South, and that it can be remotely compatible with reducing emissions, is manifestly stupid.   But then that sums up pretty much everything to do with the current Government.

Heathrow is a terrible neighbour who breach the current rules about emissions and noise on a daily basis - last night there were flights still taking off well past 11pm, and flights arriving at 4.30am.  Both of those things are "prohibited" by noise abatement/night flight regulations, and yet they just happen.  Hmm.

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
djs63

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2018, 02:34:14 PM »

The availability of long haul flights from outside London is just about OK but there is good deal of axing of routes and trying new ones.

Emirates fly to Dubai as a hub from Newcastle, Glasgow and Manchester and provide many connections to the east and to Africa. United fly nonstop Edinburgh to Chicago in the summer and Aer Lingus provide lots of feeder flights to Dublin with US immigration before onward flights to the US, though they have useless customer service in our view. These allow us to visit sons without going via London which is an awful experience with its many terminals at Heathrow.

Cousins from Canada who visit us come direct to Manchester.

This use of regional airports is all very well as far as it goes but it could definitely be expanded and take some more pressure off London airports. However the powers that be, based in London, no doubt, believe that they will suffer if the donít have even more flights. flyingpig

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
Barrie

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2018, 03:47:24 PM »

Don't forget Birmingham on the list of airports served by Emirates to Dubai. Should be the airport of choice for anybody from Watford northwards wishing to head that way in order to avoid humping luggage through the underground or the M25 car park.

Milton Keynes
AndrewE

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 10:39:50 AM »

The availability of long haul flights from outside London is just about OK but there is good deal of axing of routes and trying new ones....

Cousins from Canada who visit us come direct to Manchester.

This use of regional airports is all very well as far as it goes but it could definitely be expanded and take some more pressure off London airports. However the powers that be, based in London, no doubt, believe that they will suffer if the donít have even more flights. flyingpig
Are they lucky where they live, or do they have to make an internal flight first to get their plane to Manchester?  Anyway, I bet there were more options for flights from Canada and the USA to Manchester a decade or two ago.  I have 2 friends who both complained about the loss of transatlantic flight destinations from Manchester & both had to trek south when they had to go for work, one being marooned down there for a night after a late arrival.
Quakered

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2018, 02:47:15 PM »

well I know I should not admit this here, but I think cheap air travel is one of the greatest blessing of our current society.

The topic of the extra runway for the SE has been running for decades and it does not matter how many investigations the government (of any flavour) hold, the answer is always Heathrow. Crawley and Stansted exist to transport those looking for somewhere they can get rat-arsed cheaply and sun burnt for free. The unique feature of Heathrow is that it has so many links to international destinations. This is obviously good for London and all those Bankers but it is also used by millions of foreigners looking to transit to somewhere else in the World and this is the reason all governments want the airport to continue to succeed and therefore expand its capacity. Clearly they are not going to shout about this as the impacted locals will whinge about being sacrificed for the good of Johnny Foreigner and we all know how easy it is to inflame the masses with anti foreigner retoric (Brexit....) . These travellers will not countenance flying into one London Airport to then undertake a tedious cross country trip to another airport.

The infrastructure to Heathrow is quite good and will become excellent once Cross Rail opens.

PS If we are worried about air quality, just ban diesels!

Patrick

No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: