navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Battery Charger for Rolls Series 5000?  (Read 3600 times)
Scruff

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2018, 11:34:02 AM »

Didja ask him if the holding voltage was above 2.37v p/c?  tomatosplat
heatherhopper

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2018, 11:34:24 AM »

Morning sticksville. Apologies - I haven't anything to add regarding reviving your batteries if you simply want to ready them for sale. The story of the site is interesting though and it would be good to hear more - have you any information for the system performance when operational etc. Presumably the site is now grid-tied - if so what was the motivation, how did the economics of that work out etc? Not just another convert for the corporate man, I hope! Just me being nosey.

Interesting to see the turbine apparently spun-up - steady, if unspectacular and, I would suggest, probably in a bit less than your assumed 10mph (at tower height). I thought all the comment on here about poor positioning was a little over the top - sound basic theory, not always so clear cut in real life though. It could have made "some" useful power in the past with the right wind direction and a bit less foliage. I have depressing visions of my own turbine suffering a similar fate in years to come - trees, they just keep growing.

Shame to see the set-up broken up and probably languishing as a speculation in someone's junk yard, be reborn on fleabay, or go for scrap. Good luck with your sale though and hopefully some bits will find good homes.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Scruff

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2018, 11:41:47 AM »

Cross threading or impeccable investigative analysis HH?

Turnip under tree-line definitely not OTT  ralph

sticksville

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2018, 11:48:18 AM »

Thanks for the advice guys. I have all necessary safety equipment and topping up the batteries is one of the things I was shown how to do. I have a level indicator and always use distilled water. Cheers
Scruff

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2018, 11:53:55 AM »

Try to avoid contaminants on the hydrometer. Store it bagged and clean before use with distilled.
Apologies if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs.
sticksville

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2018, 11:54:51 AM »

All advice welcome. Thanks
heatherhopper

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2018, 12:08:50 PM »

Cross threading or impeccable investigative analysis HH?

Who knows Scruff - this is , after all, the t'internet where all things are possible.

Turnip under tree-line definitely not OTT 

Must remember to get a photo of a nearby Evance complete with it's own forestry wind tunnel - added after installation. Might need to do my own bit of turbine rescue topiary one day but the wind itself usually manages it for me.

Off grid AC coupled, 6kW Proven, 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Scruff

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2018, 12:15:30 PM »

true that!

Double height, double displacement. Turbulence is a [censored]

Not that I'd know...my trials in wind turnips resulted in my deciding I could do the same quietly with 2 less running light bulbs.
First I bought an anemometer then I bought more PV.

that...and I recently got out-bid on a 2.5kW machine Cry

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 01:06:16 PM by Scruff » Logged
sticksville

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2018, 02:35:04 PM »

Definitely not just another convert for the corporate man, the opposite in fact.

The house has always had grid mains and never needed an off-grid system. It is an early eco house that won several awards, appeared on Tv and featured in a lot of publications. The system was installed for very good reasons and its purpose was to help the environment, not save money.

Most of the trees behind the turbine were planted at the same time to provide privacy for the neighbours and I believe the position was both due to planning and to be close to the PV array/batteries.

It was 20 years ago and there was no such thing as feed in tariffs not to mention that not many people liked turbines so didn't want to see them at the end of their garden.

If you're interested you can read about the 'Eco House in Wales' here: http://www.architectureweek.com/2004/0121/environment_1-2.html (check out the picture for the original tree line) and also here: http://www.windandsun.co.uk/case-studies/grid-connect/davids-house,-penhros,-gwent.aspx#.WyJs0i_My50

I'm gutted to be removing the system but have found it incredibly hard to find anyone to help fix it with some installers even saying that I'd be better off replacing it with a new feed in system (because I doubt they even knew how to fix it). I was willing to learn about it but unfortunately didn't find the right books, website or people (until now when it's too late).

When it comes to performance, it's very hard for me to say because the turbine only worked when the wind was strong enough and in the right direction and even the PV array is in shade for part of the day due to trees getting very large.

Hope that helps your curiosity!
Scruff

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2018, 02:47:04 PM »

20 years?!  Shocked
Shucks, your turnip value just took a dive. I had her pegged at 10.  surrender

I'll help you fix it, we're neighbours (except I'm moving soon).  linux
We'll have to relocate the generators, consider replacing the battery and find you some quality reliable power electronics and switchgear. Have you any copper ore seams on the property?

Can't say there's any economy to it but I wouldn't let that stop me.  garden
sticksville

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2018, 02:51:37 PM »

Thanks Scruff!! Like I say, I wish I'd found this forum and knowledgable people years ago. It's all a bit too late for me know but hopefully the gear will all go to be used for years to come and benefit someone else.
Scruff

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2018, 03:01:14 PM »

There are ways to salvage & grid tie what you have left but you still need to move everything or

If those batteries are 20yo too I haven't much hope.
sticksville

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2018, 03:06:28 PM »

The batteries were new in 2010 but haven't been used properly for approx 2 years
Scruff

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2018, 03:07:51 PM »

35% confidence they'll recuperate.
sticksville

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2018, 03:08:52 PM »

Well at least that's 35% better than I thought they were a week ago!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: