navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One small step for Sainsburys.  (Read 3498 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« on: June 18, 2018, 11:38:52 AM »

Wifey this morning spotted that the vine tomatoes are in a cardboard tray instead of the usual black plastic tray. The latter cannot be recycled because of machine-reading difficulties. This must come as a result of the outcry on social media against single-use plastics generally. I hope that it is a cheaper material as well.
Stan

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 11:56:01 AM »

I'll look out for those. Usually I get my toms from Chavda's in a clear plastic tray. The clear ones have a recycle triangle and the labelling "PET", (polyester) which means they should get recycled with the drinks/water bottle material. Rinse and recycle. I thought the black ones got turned into McDarnolds picnic tables and chairs.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Philip R

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 12:01:37 PM »

One small step indeed.
Aldi Engish grown vine tomotoes have been in a cardboard tray as long as we have been buying them. They are grown in Teeside and are nice and tasty. No Sharp metallic hints that I have experienced with some Spanish and Dutch Tommys.

I saw the piece on black plastic PET recycling too on the box a couple of weeks ago. I had been washing it and putting it in the grey recycling bin. Only to find out that it cannot be recycled in the UK. Why on earth do HMP allow its continued use.!!!

The technology does exist to deel with these plastics. other than fleeces and dralon sofa covers. It is a pyrolysis process first used in Australia, now being  developped for use by "Cynar". The product is middle distillate ( diesel fuel,).

Philip R
TheFairway
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 12:23:38 PM »

Everything can be recycled. It's just a matter of having the will or the incentive to do so.

Look at Costa as a high profile example. Coffee cups were 'non recyclable' if you listened to the mass press and most recycling companies. Then Costa said that they would pay iirc £75/tonne extra to the recycling companies and 'suddenly' the recycling companies found a way to recycle the coffee cups.
Nickel2

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 12:36:41 PM »

Where there's a will, there's a way:

https://www.kedel.co.uk/technicalspecifications.html

EpEver 4210A at 24v
smegal

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 02:27:28 PM »

Everything can be recycled. It's just a matter of having the will or the incentive to do so.

Look at Costa as a high profile example. Coffee cups were 'non recyclable' if you listened to the mass press and most recycling companies. Then Costa said that they would pay iirc £75/tonne extra to the recycling companies and 'suddenly' the recycling companies found a way to recycle the coffee cups.

Agreed, by recyclable. They mean "economic to recycle".

For example, (I understand that) black plastic packaging is recyclable, it just can't be sorted using automated sorting machines, so it is hand picked out and becomes RDF.

When you’re thirsty, it’s too late to dig a well. - Unknown
Warble

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 10:35:44 PM »

It's polypropylene packaging (pp) <5> that is the worst - yogurt, soup containers, etc. It doesn't seem to be recycled at the moment.
stannn
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 11:18:24 AM »

https://www.businessgreen.com/bg/news/3034713/morrisons-brings-back-paper-bags-in-grocery-aisle

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
AndrewE

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 06:26:52 PM »

I was warned off vine tomatoes by a botanist who explained that they are only all ripe at the same time (unlike the natural successive ripening) because of the amounts of hormones applied to them.  I suppose that they are OK if you just assume that "plant hormones can't possibly affect us mammals!"
Nickel2

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 06:42:09 PM »

There was a bit on one of the gardening programs a while back about 'on the vine tomatoes'. It seems that the primary reason is to stop the toms ripening all at the same time.
The explanation went something like this:  (Bob Flowerdew)
As long as the fruit is on the vine, it can carry on growing, so stays healthy and takes longer to mature.
As soon as the fruit is detached from the stalk, (i.e. at the 'navel'), the fruit is programmed by nature to start rotting  and put nutrition into the soil to give it a start.
I find they do last the week on the vine, and I pick them in growth order, so it works for me.
As for hormones, I don't seem to have died from eating them!  Grin

EpEver 4210A at 24v
dan_b

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 07:22:09 PM »

I find the on the vine tomatoes actually have some flavour - , I guess a lot of “fresh” produce is picked relatively unripe in order to last longer?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
AndrewE

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2018, 06:59:13 PM »

I find they do last the week on the vine, and I pick them in growth order, so it works for me.
As for hormones, I don't seem to have died from eating them!  Grin
...yet!  That's very complacent, especially from somebody on here.  
Do you  remember the problems of male river fish turning female from the synthetic oestrogens getting through sewage works?   Or crops in polytunnels dying - eventually it was discovered that the phthalate plasticisers in PVC were seriously phytotoxic? Or the worries about Bisphenol-A in food-can lacquer? http://www.packagingdigest.com/food-packaging/most-food-cans-no-longer-use-bpa-in-their-linings-2018-02-20 says
  As with any packaging material, though, trace levels can migrate into the food contained within, which is why there were health concerns about BPA. Despite reassurances about the safety of BPA from the Food and Drug Administration, some research shows that even trace amounts of BPA might cause problems with reproductive, neurological and immune systems in humans and animals.
You don't often die from exposure to a toxin in your environment (unless NOx or SO2 kill you by causing an asthma attack.)  And cancers typically have a 30 - 40 year latent period...   I have lost friends to mesothelioma and what I think was beryllium oxide exposure.  Both died within a few months of retirement age with no previous symptoms at all.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:08:14 PM by AndrewE » Logged
Nickel2

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 08:50:17 AM »

Ease up there Andrew! I have no problems with hormones and tomatoes. Just about every single living thing on the planet is controlled by hormones, 99.9999% of them naturally occurring, being produced by the plants themselves.
Singling out vine-grown tomatoes for being as dangerous as phthalate plasticisers or bisphenol-A is a bit panicky don't you think? Those two items are man-made chemicals added to other man-made chemicals.
Plant hormones that are made naturally by the plants themselves occur all over the world, without input from man.
I am a rational thinker, so I weigh up the pros and cons of all the food I eat, and wash/clean/prepare it accordingly.

Please don't slate me as complacent, I am fully aware of the enormously extensive panoply of unwanted chemical compounds that surround me; I know the damage that certain trace compounds can cause, but tend to focus more on the larger immediate killers, like the 100 tons per year of mercury in the atmosphere that comes from burning coal, the nitrogen oxides from IC engines, the dioxins from burning waste, the sulphur compounds from volcanic activity, weedkillers, organic tin compounds used on boats, pollution emissions caused by global shipping, etc, etc, etc.

Tomatoes are the least of my worries and concerns; If I thought for one minute that they were going to kill me, I'd be onto the supermarket chiefs quicker than you could say knife, believe me!

http://www.simplyhydro.com/Hormones.htm

http://www.tomatogrowing.co.uk/hormones-tomato-plants

N2
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:52:52 AM by Nickel2 » Logged

EpEver 4210A at 24v
brackwell

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 10:54:03 AM »

Tomatoes in shops are picked green and stored so that supply can meet demand. When required they are taken out of store and blasted with gas which makes them all turn red - have you never wondered why they are all the same colour unlike nature.
dan_b

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »

What do you mean “blasted with gas”

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: