navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2nd Inverter failure. Unlucky? Also talk me into/out of some new panels...  (Read 1081 times)
cliffski

« on: July 01, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »

Hi. I have a ground mount array (2.1kwp) in my driveway. It comprises 10 schuco 215w MPE215 PS05 panels and a sunny boy 2500 HF inverter. It was installed by a small, localish company which has eventually gone bust by the looks of it.
Anyway... a few years after our installation our inverter died, and they replaced it at no charge as it was under warranty. here we are about 5 years after that, and the replacement just died. Am I unlucky? or is this to be expected? The actual unit is powered on but gives an error:

'interference device restarting in 360 seconds')
and the error number is 7701 or 77
It also tripped a fuse in box in the kitchen, and the red light is flashing. Power output is zero.

Anyway... apparently its been dead at least 3 months, and I only noticed when I went to submit my FIT numbers. Such a waste of this amazing summer!. I've since contacted a solar installer (TBH not sure if navitron actually do installs?) to ask them to come take a look and maybe fix/replace the inverter.
My main question are:

1) Is this inverter an old pile of cr*p that I should be glad to be rid of? It came with a remote 'sunny boy' monitoring widget which always sucks. I'd much rather use a phone app I might actually use.
2) I am a complete solar power obsessive (multiple big investments in farms around the uk), and love generating power. Would it be absolutely totally insane to replace the existing panels with new ones with higher efficiency? I dont mind if I have to really stretch credulity to make it seems like it makes economic sense, its more about the generation than the business case for me. I can easily afford 10 new panels.

A quick check shows my existing 215w panels have 14.4% efficiency when new and are 1000mm wide. These https://www.navitron.org.uk/store/solar-panels/solar-panels-for-grid-tie/panasonic-hit-n-series-245w-black-frame-hybrid-pv-module-15mm-mc4 are 19.4% efficient, not as wide (so would easily fit) and generate 245k. I'm pretty sure I can do better, and even higher output. Note that my panels are currently 7 years old.

Presumably the old panels still have *some* value. I just want an excuse to upgrade everything Cheesy
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 08:53:38 PM »

Hi Cliffski,
         It looks like you have quite a serious shading problem at the moment so replacing those panels with bigger ones is not going to make much of a difference until the shading is sorted.
  There will be better informed PV experts along shortly who will give you the low down on the inverters.
                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
cliffski

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 09:34:31 PM »

Actually the shading isnt too bad we lose a tiny bit at the start of the day, but otherwise its not that bad. That photo was probably taken at a really bad time Cheesy
pdf27

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 10:49:05 PM »

A quick check shows my existing 215w panels have 14.4% efficiency when new and are 1000mm wide. These https://www.navitron.org.uk/store/solar-panels/solar-panels-for-grid-tie/panasonic-hit-n-series-245w-black-frame-hybrid-pv-module-15mm-mc4 are 19.4% efficient, not as wide (so would easily fit) and generate 245k. I'm pretty sure I can do better, and even higher output. Note that my panels are currently 7 years old.

Presumably the old panels still have *some* value. I just want an excuse to upgrade everything Cheesy
I'm pretty sure that new panels = new FIT, at a vastly lower rate than you'll be getting for those.
cliffski

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 10:51:45 PM »

I feared as much. I sometimes wonder if people in government are really really stupid, or are actively taking backhanded bribes to deliberately screw up the UK renewable energy sector...
RIT

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2018, 10:53:55 PM »

I've a sunny boy 2500 HF that has been going strong for about 7 years now. When you get a new one installed it will be worth you going to their website and purchasing a warranty extension as they are a cheap add-on, which in turn indicates that they are reasonably sure about their build quality.

As for the error 7701 and or 77 you should read the following

https://www.sma-service.com/en/faq-support/wok/Diagnosis/show.html?no_cache=1&tx_lwsmawok_pi1%5BsymptomId%5D=%3Csg%3Asymptom%3A706%3E&tx_lwsmawok_pi1%5Bsearchword%5D=Event%20numbers%2077%2C%207701%2C%207702%2C%207703%20Self-diagnosis%20%3E%20Device%20disturbance&tx_lwsmawok_pi1%5Bproduct%5D=0&cHash=b238cf1884bdb2db932e1daa3d10c784

Finally if you have an Android based device you may like to play around with this app as it's an easy way to access details of the inverter

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.oxleyws.solar&hl=en_GB

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Sprinter

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 10:25:03 AM »

what about a picture of the dead interter, i wonder if it is poorly located and has cooling issues which is in turn leading to sudden and premature death of the device.
cliffski

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 11:30:26 AM »

Pics attached. that oxley app says inverter temperature is 35 degrees, but its hot as hell today and I know it died at least 3 months ago, so likely not temperature?

* 20180702_112856.jpg (350.98 KB, 800x1067 - viewed 215 times.)

* 20180702_112913.jpg (159.61 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 224 times.)

* 20180702_112929.jpg (59.87 KB, 800x456 - viewed 215 times.)
Sprinter

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 12:23:55 PM »

Probably not overheating then as its getting a great deal more cooling by the breeze than mine.

Are you sure its dead? have you tried disabling it and as you have easy access to all cabling cleaning any connections/joints in the cabling? Might be worth a go, its unlikely but an easy and free thing to rule out.

looks to me like its not getting sensing any power from the panels, i would check the cabling first.
RIT

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 12:37:21 PM »

A few notes

- The Oxley app will be reporting correctly as the inverter is in shutdown mode and so is not producing any heat.

- If you follow the link I provided you will see that the error is to do with the AC link (as the screen diagram indicates with the placement of the 77), and looking at the photo I would not be surprised if it was the cable between the inverter and the isolation switch. The cable from the switch to the house seems to be thick all weather cable with a large all-weather gland, the cable between the inverter and the switch does not seem to be of the same high quality.

- The original installation of this system does not follow even the most basic of SMA's requirements, so getting an extended warranty will currently be pointless. The setup manual states the following

For outdoor installation make sure that the Sunny Boy has a clearance of 3 ft. (90 cm) from ground.

This is because air is pulled from underneath the unit for cooling.

Lastly, the photo of the inverter shows the perspex screen has a lot of white 'stuff' on it - is this external muck or the screen suffering for crazing?

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Sprinter

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 12:54:48 PM »

In the very top left of the last picture it looks like it is sensing  0.05 kw

if thats all its sensing from the panels it might not be enough to get the inverter started, you may well have cabling issues, but reference back to the manuals as i dont have a sunnyboy so dont know what that figure is indicating.
sam_cat

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2018, 12:56:01 PM »

Lastly, the photo of the inverter shows the perspex screen has a lot of white 'stuff' on it - is this external muck or the screen suffering for crazing?

Thats what I was about to comment on. That looks like thermal crazing of the display..

That install is poor, pull the manual down and have a look at how it should be installed. Most items will be simple fixes to make it 'right'.

Can you get a better/ in focus picture?

And as above, the AC side isolator switch to inverter cable is where I would start.

Tinbum

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2018, 01:22:59 PM »

In the very top left of the last picture it looks like it is sensing  0.05 kw

That's the scale. Wink

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
cliffski

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2018, 02:26:57 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have an installer coming to investigate in an hour or two, to take a look. The white stuff is cracking of the LCD, as I recall the last one (the original they installed) had the same issue, I assumed a known issue with them, but could be that the unit gets too hot. The whicker panel behind the panels (installed due to dumb demands by planning people) could happily be left open to boost the airfloww around it. I might do that from now on.
Hopefully a cabling issue, if not... a new inverter wont make me cry. I think I've made enough today on my tesla stocks to cover the cost Cheesy
RIT

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2018, 03:46:19 PM »

Once the visit is done and hopefully, everything is sorted you should take a good look at the Oxley app. One of it's features is that it can upload stats to the free PVoutput website - see the link in my footer.

The cracking of the LCD screen indicates a thermal issue, the installer will be able to comment more. As you will see from my PVoutput link, the tracking of the inverter's temperature is included, so you will be able to monitor things over time with little work.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: