navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2nd Inverter failure. Unlucky? Also talk me into/out of some new panels...  (Read 1351 times)
Quakered

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 04:57:55 PM »

I confess I am absolutely stunned that you did not check your system in over 3 months.

We have had our SMA inverter for 7 years and (touching wood) has work faultlessly. It is installed in our loft so suspect it has to cope with high temperatures. I agree that SMA software does make you think they should have stuck to making baby milk but again it does work. You can get the Sunnt Portal for a browse on a desktop, also available as an app for iPhone and iPad (and suspect it is also available to Apple's many imitators!) - finally there is also Sunny Place that is both monitor a forum. No reason not be be in touch with you installation daily where ever you are in the world - managed to access ours from Luang Probang in the Loas jungle last year!

Patrick

No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford
cliffski

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2018, 05:47:03 PM »

Yeah I'm surprised too, but you would be amazed how stupidly busy my life is...and since the sunny beam died I just never assed...
Anyway installer confirms inverter as dead as donut, say very unlikely to be lack of air circulation. He is anti-SMA despite owning one himself, and has recomended a different model, hopefully getting installed friday.
I like the recommended app, not sure if I'll pay for the pvoutput premium thing...I may do. Annoyingly my office is maybe 3-4 feet out of blue tooth range!
cliffski

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2018, 04:33:21 PM »

So! Inverter replaced, with a growatt inverter, which is seemingly tiny in comparison (yay for technological advance) and it cost me 489.60 including installation and VAT. which is fine by me. Actual inverter non-VAT cost was 273.
Sadly it doesn't work with any easy-to-use phone app I can find, so I've asked them to get me one of the remote monitor things for it, which is less than optimal, but I'm just so glad to have it fixed and actually generating power again. It does surprise me that there isn't a universal premium paid app for your phone you can buy that monitors solar panels of any make yet. Seems like a market that can only go in one direction?

* edited.jpg (319.42 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 226 times.)
sam_cat

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2018, 06:44:06 PM »

Here I can help!!

You need a wifi dongle for the inverter: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WiFi-Module-for-Growatt-Inverter/282060805007
ShinePhone on the mobile, or use their online tools: http://server.growatt.com/

The online tools have a demo mode, so you can see what it can do (example plants, bottom left). I really rate it.

Default page shows today so far in small splits (25mins I think):

By day:

By month:

Can also do by year, not shown.
Double click on a period and it drills into it, so double click '2018' and its shows by month, double click may and it shows may by day, double click a day to see the part day split.

You can also do 'plant' and see by inverter, so each inverters output is overlayed:

Devices and datalogger (which is the wifi dongle bit):

Devices and inverter:

I have a 1kW and a 1.5kW inverter, also briefly had a broken 1kW inverter as was spotted very quickly here:

Double click an inverter and you get into the logs for it:

easily exported/loaded into excel and has loads of info.

Tons of other stuff too that I haven't gone into here...

As I say, I rate the software.. have used a few and really got along with this one. Not perfect but pretty darn good!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 06:46:01 PM by sam_cat » Logged
Sprinter

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2018, 09:44:21 PM »

the growatt should give you auto access to the growatt site, you will need to register the device then you can monitor it online

http://server.growatt.com/login.do

I have a monitor that i never used somewhere, it uses bluetooth i think, but its better to get the ethernet dongle as suggested and use the web site
cliffski

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2018, 02:08:04 PM »

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I got the wifi dongle, and its all up and running and monitoring happily, this is awesome Cheesy
sam_cat

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2018, 02:44:38 PM »

Excellent! Its Pretty good software isnt it! Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: