navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Repairing a dehydrator  (Read 1339 times)
Greenbeast

« on: July 04, 2018, 01:22:21 PM »

We use a dehydrator for making dog treats that we sell. We had a fancy one that was digital and we liked. However one day the heater stopped working.
We could not get a direct replacement and in fact had to spend much more on a lesser model (because of availability), regardless of this we'd now like to upgrade our capacity anyway so i need to finally investigate repairing it. I had the forethought to pack it away and keep it safe

Firstly, how can i electrically test the element or other components? (i have a dmm)
Secondly, if it is a broken element, any ideas on how to replace it, in terms of sourcing such things?
Fionn

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2018, 01:28:42 PM »

For the element, check it's series resistance and it's insulation resistance.
Plug the resistance value into ohms law to determine if it corresponds with the rated power consumption.
On replacement, eBay or AliExpress are probably the best bets.
Greenbeast

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2018, 01:45:12 PM »

Many thanks
TT

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 02:03:24 PM »

Make and model would be good to let us see how to help or a scan of the
Manual
Westie

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 08:18:28 PM »

Heating elements usually fail open circuit so there would be no circuit through it .  If you have problems sourcing a replacement I've used a company called T P Fay Ltd who will manufacture one, you would just send then the old element.  Just google the name....

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
Greenbeast

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2018, 09:16:39 PM »

Thanks all, i will dig the boxed item out tomorrow hopefully
Greenbeast

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 09:21:51 PM »

It's a Buffalo CD965
knighty

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 11:28:59 PM »

I think you;ll have to take it apart and have a look, make sure it is the heating element - it could be something simple like a thermal fuse etc

take it apart, power it on, check there's power going to the heating element

this place doesn't list dehydrators but looks to have a good selection of spares for other things made by the same people...
https://www.nisbets.co.uk/catering-appliances/spares-and-accessories/buffalo-spare-parts/_/a33-3

I couldn't find any info about the heating element... but the whole thing is 800watts so you can bet the heating element itself is 800watts (fan power will be a couple of watts max)

800watts is more than I expected... I wonder if there's multiple heating elements inside it, so it can heat on low/medium/high etc.  - this could be another point of failure :-o
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: