navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marlec wind turbines is 40 years old.  (Read 626 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« on: July 11, 2018, 09:49:03 PM »

Must be close to Navitron HQ. Anybody own one?
https://www.stamfordmercury.co.uk/news/uk-s-oldest-renewable-energy-company-celebrates-milestone-9003834/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 09:50:48 PM by stannn » Logged

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
camillitech

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 06:08:40 AM »

I had one for twenty odd years Stann but it was a bit like the 'cleaners 40 year old broom' as it had had several cores, sets of blades, rotors, brushes and bearings to keep it going. I was quite fond of it really and even kept it going when I'd no longer a use for it.

I finally gave up on it four years ago https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2014/05/19/a-full-week/ but to be honest it was only cos at 58 I'd lost my head for heights  Grin

I've passed all the remains and a mountain of spares onto a neighbour who may resurrect it yet.

https://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/2008/03/10/

Happy days  Grin

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 09:30:43 AM »

There are quite a few Rutlands around here.
                 Mostly on the Islands and being used during the summer holiday seasons . They were very popular one time..I don't know a lot about them except that they were quite reliable and much less expensive than the AirX.
      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
fourfootfarm

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2018, 08:00:58 PM »

They've moved to northants now which is close but not close close.

I had one of their controllers for a bit and it did sterling if unexciting duty for a long time.

Outback FM60. EPsolar 30a MPPT and a bunch of Tristar 45's. Hodge Podge of solar ~ 4500w. Various generators and 1000ah 24v forklift battery.

Turkish Turnip
ny

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 08:38:44 AM »

There was one in the middle of Rutland Water. Me and my old work mate had the job of fitting one to the top of the limn tower near the dam. It was installed to power the water level telemetry after the shore cable failed. The system had no real chance of doing what was expected of it, even after fitting a 180w(ish) BP solar panel (how much would that have cost 15 years ago?)
camillitech

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 07:51:15 PM »

There was one in the middle of Rutland Water. Me and my old work mate had the job of fitting one to the top of the limn tower near the dam. It was installed to power the water level telemetry after the shore cable failed. The system had no real chance of doing what was expected of it, even after fitting a 180w(ish) BP solar panel (how much would that have cost 15 years ago?)

To be honest it amazes me that they are still in business, Rutland/Marlec that was/is. I had a soft spot for them right enough cos they kept my 12v ring main going for donkeys years. However that was only cos I had a shed load of spares and failed turbines that had been used (unsuccessfully) to power salmon farm seal scarer's, Railtrack signs, broadband masts etc. I think the only reason they're still making them is cos they're pretty good at charging the leisure battery on a yacht.

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: