navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Copenhagen bike wheel.  (Read 1677 times)
stannn
Global Moderator

« on: July 16, 2018, 09:42:25 PM »

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/16/the-copenhagen-wheel-was-worth-the-wait-my-first-ride/

2.45 kWp PV (Navitron supply), 40 evacuated tubes (Navitron supply), Clearview 650 log burner with back-boiler heating cottage and water, 2 off 50W border collies, 1 off 35W cat, 1 off 25W cat.
GarethC

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2018, 10:01:25 PM »

$1500 though??
Ted
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 09:49:59 AM »

The linked Danish website are selling at 1500 not $1500 and it's not clear if that is for a whole bike or just this as an add-on. Bikes there are really expensive anyway.

But Copenhagen is about the one place in the world where you don't really need a motor assisted bike unless, maybe, you are using one of these.

* IMG-20160807-WA0006.jpg (155.43 KB, 748x998 - viewed 226 times.)

Volunteer moderator
TheFairway
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 10:11:46 AM »

It will be for the wheel only. The IP is the seamless and sophisticated control rather than just any old motor and battery turned into an electric powered wheel.
GarethC

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »

That's the thing though. I can see an all in one electric wheel with integrated motor and battery being useful and popular. Just switch out your existing wheel, perhaps attach a Bluetooth control to your handlebars, and you have an instant ebike. Easy to convert back too.

But very few people have 1500 to spare, and if they did, they could buy a whole separate ebike for that.

If this were 500, I think it would fly off the shelves. The parts involved should allow production and sale at this price with a still hefty profit margin.

Essentially same system available on amazon for 382...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 10:50:04 AM by GarethC » Logged
TheFairway
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »

No not essentially the same as on Amazon. It's taken years for them to perfect the seamless user experience rather than a few days to cobble together. People in 'the know' really do 'get' this wheel. The developers are going to want something in return for their 6+ years development effort.
knighty

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 03:50:13 PM »

No not essentially the same as on Amazon. It's taken years for them to perfect the seamless user experience rather than a few days to cobble together. People in 'the know' really do 'get' this wheel. The developers are going to want something in return for their 6+ years development effort.

I used to be pretty big into ebikes. built half a dozen, all different kinds, learnt quite a lot

spec from the site says....

250watts
48volt 5.8ah

there's not enough space inside that hub for a decent 250 watt motor, 48v 5.8ah lion and a controller to all run reliably

it's probably 5.8ah plated capacity not usable capacity

they all produce heat, and the heat will kill the batteries - I guess they will have installed thermistors and power limits for the controller, to limit the generated heat

quick google for a photo of the internals shows the controller is very small, a bit too small if you ask me - it could be heat sinked to the case, but it doesn't look like it is in the photos I've seen

the problems is... there's not much point in having a very weak ebike, you might as well save yourself the weight if you're going to have to do the vast majority of the work yourself

250 watts for a few min and then hardly anything because it's already a bit too hot for the rest of your ride is pretty usless
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 04:47:09 PM »

I would agree with you knighty, and
             You cannot expand it or add batteries to it. There is just too much stuff whilzzing around inside the hub, too close to the ground and.not waterproof,.
        Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
TheFairway
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2018, 06:11:49 PM »

I used to be pretty big into ebikes. built half a dozen, all different kinds, learnt quite a lot

spec from the site says....

250watts
48volt 5.8ah

there's not enough space inside that hub for a decent 250 watt motor, 48v 5.8ah lion and a controller to all run reliably

it's probably 5.8ah plated capacity not usable capacity

they all produce heat, and the heat will kill the batteries - I guess they will have installed thermistors and power limits for the controller, to limit the generated heat

quick google for a photo of the internals shows the controller is very small, a bit too small if you ask me - it could be heat sinked to the case, but it doesn't look like it is in the photos I've seen

the problems is... there's not much point in having a very weak ebike, you might as well save yourself the weight if you're going to have to do the vast majority of the work yourself

250 watts for a few min and then hardly anything because it's already a bit too hot for the rest of your ride is pretty usless

Well the many years they have been on sale don't seem to bear this out. This is not a new unit, but an update of earlier generations. So it has a proven track record. Probably due to the amount of ongoing development and refinement it has had over the prior 6 years or so.
knighty

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2018, 10:22:45 PM »

after reading a few reviews I think my comment of...

250 watts for a few min and then hardly anything because it's already a bit too hot for the rest of your ride is pretty useless

problem is if you've never ridden anything else you don't really have anything to compare it to

plus, I think there's some kind of placebo effect, where you imagine it's more help than it really is
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: