navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Food vs Fuel  (Read 1584 times)
Westie

« on: August 06, 2018, 11:36:14 AM »

I caught the end of a news article this morning regarding the shortage of animal feed stock.  I can understand this as I've only cut the grass once in 6 weeks! There was a statement made that a lot crops suitable for animal feed were now being used for biomass and ethanol production because it was more profitable. Profit generated for farmers to grow these crops were being paid under the ROC , FiT schemes?  Did they mean that farmers received those payments directly or indirectly?

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
brackwell

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 03:43:57 PM »

No payment is going to the farmer.   Most smaller farmers are not in good shape -working 365days for very little if any reward.   Wheat is being exported to France to make proper bread whilst we eat -rap because we are not prepared to pay the going rate.

I talk to farmers and you find that they are getting on and no family want to take it on.   Fields are just being left ideal as nobody wants to work for nothing. Sure the farmers that own half of Lincolnshire etc on good land earn money but as for the rest.

I have to laugh when people say there is a shortage of building land and everybody is being squeezed into little boxes at exorbitant prices. How further from the truth can they be.  IN MY OPINION
Westie

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »

Thought so, so the subsidy goes to the generator, or the refinery, that enables them to pay over the going rate (for animal feed) and the farmer naturally accepts the highest price.  Meantime the pastoral farmers have to use what ever winter stores they may have during this summer and will have no feed left for winter.....   I can see beef/pork/lamb and poultry prices crashing shortly as farmers sell their stock, then soaring afterwards as there is very little stock left.  I thought the EU were rolling back the legislation to prevent this from happening?

4kwp south facing array  SMA 4000TL grid connected.  2x30tube Navitron solar thermal panels (east/west). Arada 5kw S/C WBS. 25000Ltr underground rain water tank. KTM E-Bike  Cool
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 12:45:10 AM »

....... what should I say ?     Its about 10 ton per hectare in passt times cause a good fodder plant , or 2,2 acres  once gorse /furze was havested ... every winter those gorse mountains now are burnt and we all pay for those burning hilla , such a waste  beside the environment desaster

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: