navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address. Following continuous spam/hack attempts on the forum, "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The new adventure continues !  (Read 20060 times)
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« on: August 06, 2018, 08:27:14 PM »

Hi guys,

Well after moving out of Long Rig on 1st June, we put the new house into planning on 14th June and on 3th August it was Approved !

So now its safe to let you see the plans and location of the new House at Fyvie Station, about 2 miles from our old house but because we now have to think about getting about in our dotage, the plot is on the edge of a small community but just off a main road so if/when the time comes that we can't drive or ride my bikes (god forbid!) the bus stop is 50m away. Isn't it a pain having to plan for that sort of thing !   banghead

Anyway now we have Planning, the next step is for the architect to start on the building warrant drawings and we are hoping we can at least level and clear the site before the winter, even get the foundations down, but we will see.

The site itself has a good bit of history and I have tried to show that on the new website (www.stationbrae.uk) without going too much over the top !

So as usual I will be updating that website with developments but if anyone want any more info, just ask.

* Elevs.jpg (122.76 KB, 1000x707 - viewed 765 times.)

* plan.jpeg (231.37 KB, 1281x893 - viewed 755 times.)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:23:14 PM by russ_fae_fyvie » Logged

All finished so the new adventure now starts here !
offthegridandy

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 08:44:42 PM »

Hi Russ,

good news, I hope it all goes smoothly.  I like trhat your boiler room is as big as a bedroom.  What sort of boiler are you planning for?

Keep us up to date as you proceed.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw WT H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia AC coupled
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 K wood stove
pdf27

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 09:10:14 PM »

A few thoughts...
  • How come you're going for a pellet boiler rather than a heat pump? If you're on-grid with PV and are planning to live there in the future when you have potential reduced mobility, etc. then I would have thought it would be an obvious choice. It would also let you get rid of the solar thermal panels and fit more PV instead (PV plus heat pump gives you about the same amount of heat as solar thermal per unit roof area, but maintenance requirements are vastly lower and the cost of adding more PV panels while keeping the inverter the same size to meet the 16A export limit is very low - also makes sense if you're going to have a battery). Overall cost would probably be substantially lower and it would free up a lot of internal volume as you wouldn't need the pellet storage.
  • While I think about it, no flue is visible on the planning drawings - not sure if that's an issue or not
  • Not sure if you're aware of it, but putting the underfloor heating pipes into the concrete floor slab as it is laid is a LOT cheaper than putting them into a layer of screed later. Should have been obvious to me but wasn't.
  • Are you planning some sort of shed or outbuilding for bikes, mowers, etc.?
  • I'm more than a little envious

kristen

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 09:47:15 PM »

Thoughts that occur to me:

I agree with PV + HeatPump. We have two lots of Solar Thermal (DHW and Pool) and have had a fair few plumber visits over the years. Can't help thinking that PV + heatPump would have been less maintenance ... and I could just use Grid Juice with the heat pump if I choose to.

I'm now seriously thinking about putting heat pump on UFH to cool it in summer (we use biomass boiler to heat the UFH in winter) ... so a reversible heat pump would have that benefit, and in Summer the PV would (I assume) cover the fuel cost. Our house just nudged 26C one day during the heatwave (the 33 or 34 highest temperature was 5 miles or so down the road) so the insulation is doing what it is supposed to, but 25C with windows closed is not comfortable (needs a fan in the absence of a breeze) and cooling the floor would avoid night-venting to cool it, and that let the flies in ...

As already mentioned we too have UFH in the slab, not the screed.  Its a huge heat sink (for us). All internal walls are dense-block for same reason.

Windows on the NE rather than the South? (I presume that's for the view ... but I am guessing its a big compromise on U-value, and thus will generate falling-air and convection draughts and all that goes with that, and a morning-sun solar gain (in Summer) too but I'm blinkered and only think passive-house I'm afraid. Maybe you have less summer heat to worry about than us soft Southerners Smiley but I expect you have more cold to worry about instead, and all I can say is that our passive house is all that I hoped it would be and more hence I'm a fan.

Our boiler room is somewhat central in the house. We have a fair amount of "waste heat" from boiler, pipes and accumulators, and having that within the curtilage of the building is definitely a bonus.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2018, 06:12:01 AM »

First off fantastic news. Congratulations and a long and happy stay in your new house. Grin

I agree with the other chaps that a heat pump would be the way to go. Free up loads of space less dust low maintenance.
Im already the wrong side of 60 and thinking of the future one level living is the way to go. Having lived with wood burners for 20 years I don't miss the wood humping.

On a purely personally note I like an open plan kitchen which we have both here and when we lived in France and Sweden. It does let the cook (me) to chat and join in,  each to their own of course.

Really looking forward to pictures and progress reports. Good luck.

Kidwelly South Wales
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 08:17:42 AM »

Thanks for the comments guys, always worth an alternative view on things.
Its not totally decided yet, but we discussed the Heat Pump/Boiler option with the local Plumbers (who also have lots of experience with renewables) and their comments were that because of the lower temperatures up here, they are not as good and have to work extra hard in the winter when we need it, also uses more power than the Pellet Boiler. I know Pellet Boilers involve a lot but having run one for 10 years we thought it was really good, and we like the smell of wood when it fires up ! We were also told if we did go for the Pellet Boiler, due to the insulation, it wouldn't be on very often. However now we have Planning  we can concentrate on those sort of details. When we were off grid, the thought of a Heat Pump using continual electrickery wasn't an option but we will look more into it now.
In the old house, we laid the concrete slab, insulation, UFH and then we used the self leveling screed because we could then lay the oak floor and floor tiles directly on top as it was dead flat and smooth, I expect if it was just the slab it would need levelling to allow us to do the same which may be more work ?
Yeah, with regards to the orientation, there is a slope on the site and also trees on 2 sides (south and west) so we had to position it to get the most sun with the long side of the roof which you can see below so we were a bit restricted as to where we could put it. We moved it as far away from the south trees as we could so hopefully we can get the most of the sun, time will tell !

Keep em coming !

genuflect

* layout.jpg (103.62 KB, 1032x774 - viewed 700 times.)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 08:25:52 AM by russ_fae_fyvie » Logged

todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 08:45:59 AM »

Russ
We lived in  southern Sweden not renouned for mild winters (minus 17 was our coldest) heat pumps were everywhere, the biggest market for heat pumps in the EU.  Might be worth a second opinion. If your house is super insulated ?
All the best
tod

Kidwelly South Wales
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 09:04:40 AM »

Hi Tod, yeah I think you (and others) are right.

I have just got an email back from the guys who will be installing the heating (they do heat pump, boilers, etc so no pushing from them either way and I asked them if, given a blank canvas and knwoing the house is very well insulated, what they would suggest and they too said a Heat Pump so will be sitting down with them in the next couple of weeks to go through the details.

Thanks for the comments guys, this Forum (and you guys) is a really REALLY big help !

Barrie

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 09:30:30 AM »

A power floated finish on the slab is slightly more expensive than a tamped finish but will give you the same finish for you floor finishes as a screed - and you can take a whole wet trade/drying period out of your programme. All the schools I've been involved with in recent years have UFH in the halls and gyms with power floated slabs.

Milton Keynes Vauxhall Insignia EcoTech
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2018, 09:31:47 AM »

Cheers Barrie will check that out too !

dimengineer

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2018, 09:37:41 AM »

8 weeks to get approval. I am envious...

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2018, 09:41:36 AM »

I know we were godsmacked!

I was ready for all sorts of arguments but the only thing we had to do was get a soil survey done as it was agricultural land, but once that was done, it was passed !!

Hopefully the Warrant Drawings will be Approved just as quickly !

Barrie

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2018, 09:53:32 AM »

Did your "soil survey" include a percolation test?

Before you are allowed to have a soakaway building control (or the Scottish equivalent) will want to know that the water will drain away. Looking at the water standing in the ruts in your pictures there could be an issue, although this may be caused by a hard surface underneath.  The cottages down the hill from your plot won't be happy if your surface water starts running out of the side of the hill onto their gardens.

Milton Keynes Vauxhall Insignia EcoTech
A.L.

G69, Glasgow

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 10:05:26 AM »

hello Russ,

At around 115m2 the heating load for a bit less than PH/super-insulated standard, say U=0.15 all round, windows 1.0, infiltration 1.0m3/m2/hr, your continuous heat loss at -10C will only be about 2kW. So my vote is also for a heat pump solution. You would need to sacrifice a large volume to a buffer store to make say a twice/thrice weekly burn biomass viable.
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 10:10:49 AM »

Cheers A.L. yeah we are leading the Heat Pum way I think !

Barrie, yes the Percolation Test was done at the same time and passed no problem.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: