navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tesla Powerwall 2, one month in.....  (Read 9912 times)
dickster

« Reply #90 on: September 25, 2019, 11:55:55 AM »

So now have a Gateway 2 fitted. Her outdoors thinks the world is heading Armageddon's way and almost insisted that we spend another oodle on one.

So now we have 15% (chosen by us) as a back up in case of power cuts. But had to download previous Gateway 1 data by joining Elon's spying club, or lose it.

Interestingly, our installer says he sets the max output of the Powerwall 2 using special installer software and offered to up it from 3.7 kW to a max of around 5. Told him to leave it, as we would most probably start using more electricity if we didn't feel restricted.

Now, about that biogas generator.......
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2019, 07:51:17 PM »

We have had the Powerwall 2 running now for 3 months since we moved in and so far been impressed.
Just been asking about the App update which I believe now allows you to charge from low rate night power which at the moment I can't, it just charges from the PV.
With the darker days coming I'd be interested in being able to add some charge offf the grid at night as doesn't look like it will get fully charged on Solar for a while now.
Anyone else doing this yet ?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:17:49 AM by russ_fae_fyvie » Logged

All finished so the new adventure now starts here !
dickster

« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2019, 11:13:18 AM »

Hello Russ (or is that your house name?! Smiley

Yes we've been doing it for 6 months maybe. All works fine, but bear in mind that with a 20% loss through the system your E7 rate is actually 1.2 times the cost. Your app should've updated automatically (I think) to allow "customise" "advanced" operations.

Bizarrely, have had 2no  2 hour powercuts since we had Gateway 2 fitted. Everything worked as expected. Smug. Expecting comeuppance anytime soon.
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2019, 11:20:41 AM »

Sounds good (yeah name is russ, house is Station Brae!!)
Getting new Octopus Smart Meter fitted today so once thats done I have a contact number at Tesla to get my App updated because it hasn't been so far, wanted to wait till its fitted and get the right times for the cheap rate.
Will be interesting to see how it all goes but happy with whats been happening so far  Grin

phoooby

« Reply #94 on: October 17, 2019, 02:39:20 PM »

Russ, I have PW2 and use octopus to charge overnight. On the Tesla app, you scroll down to customise which brings up a menu to select 'self-powered' which is what you are doing at the moment ie. charging form pv. Under that there is the option to choose Advanced which allows you to choose 'balanced' or 'cost saving'. I'm on 'cost saving' and have off peak set to the octopus 0030-0430 hours and peak for the remainder of the day. You just leave the algorithms to do their thing which might take a day or so to sort out how much charging they need to do over night. It doesn't always do what you want it to do such as not fully charging after a sunny day and then the next day is overcast.  As far as I am aware, they are developing the app to allow manual control but I an happy with what it does do so far so not that bothered.

Hopefully not teaching to suck eggs with the app but I never needed an app update to choose customise and mine was fitted earlier this year.  Good luck.

Phoooby

10.2kw Solar Edge PV. Tesla PW2, Myenergi Zappi and Eddi
Nissan Leaf 24 (gone)
Tesla Model S
Nissan env-200
88k ev miles and rising
6kw WBS
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #95 on: October 17, 2019, 04:22:57 PM »

HI thanks for that, I did see that option but was scared to try it !
Will have a better look tonight now we have the new Smart Meter in so will have a play around !

thanks for the info
 genuflect

Fintray

« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2019, 04:56:45 PM »

Hi Russ

What type of smart meter did Octopus fit to your house as they fitted one for me but unfortunately it cannot communicate due to the location.
I was hoping to go for the Agile outgoing tariff but will have to wait until the comms can be sorted out.

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
pantsmachine

« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2019, 05:53:42 PM »

We are on Octopus tracker, it's very good. SMET1 and send in monthly. There's something honest and fair that appeals to me about the wholesale price tracking and transparency of the product.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 03:26:29 PM by pantsmachine » Logged

HUGE insulation depth.
5.12 kw PV system with Solar edge.
4.8 kw Pylon tech battery storage.
All Low energy bulbs.
Solar I boost charging 210 ltr OSO system tank.
Balanced & zoned CH wet system & Hive 2
Wood fired thermosiphon cedar hot tub.
Masanobu Fukuoka inspired veg garden & fruit trees
dickster

« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2019, 10:07:20 AM »

Fintray,

Ecotricity sub contractor came to fit an E7 smartmeter, but as there was no mobile signal, fitted a new but old style E7 meter instead for no extra cost (which he happened t have in his van).

I previously asked for non smart E7 meter and was told 120.00 but it might be some time before we can find one to fit.

russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #99 on: October 22, 2019, 12:29:24 PM »

HI Fintray

Its a Secure Liberty 110 but there were no instructions left nor a separate display for the house so I haven't got a clue what happening!

Octopus have said its not on their system yet but once it is I will be on Octopus Go, but still aint got a clue how it all work without some sort of Instructions !

Just have to be patient !

Hi Russ

What type of smart meter did Octopus fit to your house as they fitted one for me but unfortunately it cannot communicate due to the location.
I was hoping to go for the Agile outgoing tariff but will have to wait until the comms can be sorted out.

Barrie

« Reply #100 on: October 22, 2019, 02:26:18 PM »

Try this.

https://utilita.co.uk/downloads/user-guide/dualfuel.pdf

It's a different supplier so the first 23 pages about the in-house display are not relevant but the final few pages may help.

Thanks to Martin Lewis' MSE forum.

Milton Keynes Vauxhall Insignia EcoTech
russ_fae_fyvie

All finished !

« Reply #101 on: October 22, 2019, 06:24:12 PM »

cheers Barrie   genuflect

Fintray

« Reply #102 on: October 22, 2019, 07:44:11 PM »

HI Fintray

Its a Secure Liberty 110 but there were no instructions left nor a separate display for the house so I haven't got a clue what happening!

Octopus have said its not on their system yet but once it is I will be on Octopus Go, but still aint got a clue how it all work without some sort of Instructions !

Just have to be patient !

Thanks Russ

Hi Russ

3.87kWp PV
10.24kWp PV SolarEdge system
Tesla Powerwall 2
100 x 47mm Navitron tubes (still being installed!)
MK2 PV router DHW diverter
Morso 5kW WBS
Nissan Leaf
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: