navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We're f**ked!  (Read 2043 times)
kristen

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2018, 04:06:58 PM »

As others have said though this is all about timescales, as I'm sure you know the Carboniferous and it's subsquent pumping down of CO2 took a hundred million million years or more, we've messed up the atmosphere in a matter of decades.

xkcd has a nice picture Smiley Its a bit big, dunno if will display in the forum, if not pls follow the link

Tigger

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2018, 11:32:09 AM »

Hmm, hadn't realised Pokemon in North America went extinct so long ago.......

It certainly makes for an interesting timeline, sort of grateful that I'm in my 50s so probably not too likely to survive into the potential chaotic period that appears to be on the way but very concerned for those younger than me Sad

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
MeatyFool

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2018, 01:07:19 PM »

Wow, scroll and scroll and scroll to get to the median line (11000 years to warm 4 degrees).

Fast forward to now, and the action all happens in an inch of screen real estate.

Worst case, 3 degrees in 80 years.

How can these idiots simply say "so what, the earth has warmed before".

Meatyfool..
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 03:10:30 PM »

What an interesting link.
thanks.

We really are *****ed
dimengineer

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 03:19:25 PM »

I've long thought that the time lag/hysteresis for a system as large as the earth has to be many decades, or even centuries. So once you see it start to move, you ain't going to stop it, not reasonably, in any short time. 
So, yes, a degree of heating is inevitable. How much, I don't know. How long will it take to stop it? - again I don't know, but it will be decades, if not centuries.

SO we just have ot keep working towards a low carbon future, but there is little point in destroying ourselves in achieving it, as it'll take a long time to "work" anyway. (If it does)  Sad

21 tube Kloben Panel/250L Megaflow, 1.68kWp Solar PV - 7 x 240W Sanyo Panels. Morso Squirrel WBS
kristen

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 07:54:37 AM »

SO we just have ot keep working towards a low carbon future

I've done a bit, I'm going to do a bit more, but I'm now thinking that maybe I need to figure out a way to make a proper difference. Maybe all us early-adopters do too.

What would that be? I figure I need government to change it's mind and enforce some stuff. I'm sceptical that' possible le (e.g. move to making-change on a war-footing, but without a war ...) How is that achieved?

Norway seems to have achieved a fair bit with their sovereign wealth fund, but I can't think of other countries, off hand, that are doing.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 06:01:01 PM »

It is truly depressing,
                  It must be a good 20 years since i stopped going for a swim locally. We used to have great swimming areas with naturally occurring rock pools the size of very large man made swimming pools. Great for getting climatised before swimming out into the open. The last half dozen times i went swimming in the sea,,I seemed to get a touch of a sore throat for a few days ,,other swimmers said the same..
The local sewerage treatment plants were not 100% efficient but I know for sure that they are even worse now.
Then the plastic and rubbish everywhere was terrible until they organised the local groups to battle against it. One year we lost all our blue star ratings and it took a few years to get some of them back.
There is so little being done and the message takes too long to deliver that it is going to take some kind of global disaster before the world wakes up,,if ever.
 My visitors have been here for a few days, The professor and my grandkids. The kids arrived with all kinds of software and tablets. Little rubber fingers flit across the screens,,designing and building houses ,,with swimming pools ,,diving boards,,even a dog..Mine craft they call it. Then they communicate with each other online and wage war with each other wrecking each other houses,, this was after taking the back of our dongle and reading the wi-fi number, If they can do this at 7 and 10 years respectively then the world is going to be very digital indeed.
  I could see come kind of scenario where the world is so toxic everyone has to live in underground bunkers and humans grow extra fingers and bigger eyes., or eyes that can adapt to the gloom. Hacking into each others PCs and waging war  by knocking out each other missiles before they even leave the launcher. Could this be the future, ? Food would come in small tubes and the toilet would be something similar but fed back into some kind of bio digester and used for heating. Perhaps this is already thought out and the powers that be, are banking on keeping control by being the only ones that know about it and are ready set up to go and live underground.
        Cheerful am I,
                          Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
skyewright

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »

Perhaps this is already thought out...
IIRC it's not a million miles off the sort of scenario James Lovelock imagines as a possible future?

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40°, WSW, Lat 57° 9' (Isle of Skye)
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 08:34:45 PM »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/08/global-warming-must-not-exceed-15c-warns-landmark-un-report

As Aretha Franklin said in The Blues Brothers..............sheeeeiiit!

what's the chances anyone in power will take it seriously??  to be fair only Caroline Lucas will

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
azps

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2018, 08:49:17 AM »

what's the chances anyone in power will take it seriously??  to be fair only Caroline Lucas will

I've been working for over quarter of a century on this. Part of the problem is that there are very few politicians who understand the issue, despite many experts trying for decades to explain it to them in different ways, hoping something will get through. This means that very few of them want to show leadership by making this the hill they're prepared to die on. The other part is that for most voters, this is not their most immediate problem. So when they email, write, talk to their elected representatives or candidates, they'll be talking about dog mess, or fox hunting, or rough sleepers, or B****t, or benefit sanctions, or school places.

So the politicians don't have it as a personal priority, and don't hear it as a priority from the electorate.

oliver90owner

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2018, 09:30:06 AM »

Is this because the human race is really not much more advanced, on average,  than a group (herd, flock, leap, suicide, legislature) of lemmings?
djs63

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2018, 10:29:10 AM »

Perhaps the subject should read.  “We’re cooked”

We have 7 grandchildren and in 20 years they might be starting families just as things get even worse  sh*tfan

6 Kw Proven wind turbine, 15 Navitron evacuated solar hot water tube array and 1.8 Kw PV, grid connected (SMA inverters) and GSHP supplying radiators and UFH. Wood burning stove (Esse 300) and oil fired Rayburn. Rainwater harvesting 4000 litre tank underground. Nissan Leaf
kristen

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2018, 04:42:05 PM »

One (obvious, of course) thing I heard mention (Interviewer was asking what "ordinary people could do") was "Use an Green energy supplier" and the reason given was "That will create more demand".  Seems like a fair shout, so I've been badgering everyone I meet to do just that. "No good reason not to, no more expensive / costs you nothing, and you can pat yourself on the back"
Bodidly

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2018, 07:29:49 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/08/global-warming-must-not-exceed-15c-warns-landmark-un-report

As Aretha Franklin said in The Blues Brothers..............sheeeeiiit!

what's the chances anyone in power will take it seriously??  

Desp

Not high https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45798643

My expectations are pretty much nill and it doesn't look like I am going to be surprised anytime soon
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:32:11 AM by Bodidly » Logged
brackwell

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2018, 08:33:58 AM »

Not sure that we in the UK should be quite so pessimistic. In the UK we have made big steps in reducing our pollution  eg leccy production CO2 just a fraction of what it was.  EVs have arrived. Houseing has improved and will slowly continue.
Our total pollution at many levels is decreasing but not all and not as quick as if we were on a war footing, but the real problem is expanding population and consumption.  However we should not loose sight of the fact that in the western world the birth rate is below 2 (births per woman of child bearing age).
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: