navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Evacuated tube covers  (Read 791 times)
syeman

« on: September 03, 2018, 11:07:41 AM »

Hi I live at the end of the electricity supply line and find there's phases where my electric ity is  frequently turned off for new builds, maintenance etc I do not like letting my panels ( evacuated tubes) stagnate I found a pure sine wave converter very helpful which i got from an old post on this forum which allows me to run them off a car battery, but while I'm around I would rather just throw on a cover panels are on gable end above a lean to so access is good. Does anyone have experience of these i was thinking of getting  as a last resort a tarp with bungees.

Thanks Simon
kristen

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 11:21:19 AM »

I put some old curtains over mine (during maintenance). Hadn't realised the curtains had weights in the bottom lining corners, to make the curtains hang well, and they flapped about in the wind and bust a couple of tubes Sad So something to beware of, but other than that worked just fine.
Countrypaul

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 03:27:11 PM »

Have you considerd using a UPS to maintain the power to the ST system even if there are quite long power cuts  (I mean minutes or a couple of hours rather than seconds, or days). You would probably be better off with an older model UPS as they don't ten to just cease functioning after 15 mins. External battteries could be used with the UPS - see some of the post by Biff for details. Seems a big waste to just shut everything down due to the electric being off. 
skyewright

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 11:29:36 AM »

My neighbour uses a spare piece of 'Tyvek' building fabric. It's light but tough. She added a cord at four corners and ties it on if she is going to be away for a while in summer to prevent over heating.

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
syeman

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 02:11:22 PM »

Thanks for your replies I have been unable to log in for a while my mistake. Some good tips I shall think about each of them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: