navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tractors?  (Read 5347 times)
eabadger

« on: September 10, 2018, 08:51:29 AM »

anyone know about tractors?
my brilliant neighbor has broken his Iseki, which is annoying for him and us, as he does all our mowing and plowing roatavating ect.
so to pay him back and help out i offered to help, turns out he hit (bloody romans) an old wall buried deep, the rotavator moaned and now the pto doesnt turn, i thought the sacrificial piece on the external shaft would have broken, but no, he had welded that up as the pin kept snapping!!!
so axle off gearbox off and found shaft snapped, simple new shaft, no, the model was never sold in europe and iseki wont supply parts!!

so i now think i will buy him another, but the micro/mini tractors are a fortune, i noticed you can get a big one cheaper, but when i suggested this he said his roatavor would not be wide enough, kind of get it, but would it not do?
i was looking at an old massey 835, €600.

so any thoughts? or on the off chance anyone got an iseki TU tractor in bits?

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
Tinbum

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 09:09:39 AM »

Try www.freedomengineering.co.uk.

Old fashioned company but know what they are talking about. They are the sort of company that will refurbish their old equipment rather than buy cheaper replacement rubbish.

Speak it Mike, the Boss. He really knows what he is talking about and is extremely helpful.

They have made one off or small batches of parts for me in the past, like axle drive disengage gears for 1970's Volvo portal axles from my sketches and machined gears to take taper roller bearings instead of roller bearings.

Nick
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:16:00 AM by Tinbum » Logged

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Tinbum

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 09:11:19 AM »

he had welded that up as the pin kept snapping!!!
steve
Expensive bodge- They're there for a reason. wackoold
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:14:11 AM by Tinbum » Logged

85no 58mm solar thermal tubes, 28.5Kw PV, 3 x Sunny Backup 5048, 3x Sunny Island 5048, 2795 Ah (135kWh) (c20) Rolls batteries 48v, Atmos wood gasification boiler, Brosley wood burner, 2000lt buffer tank and 250lt DHW
Countrypaul

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 09:43:46 AM »

If it has snapped and you have both parts, it is possible an engeering place would be able to weld it back together and machine back to orginal finish and possibly retemper if needed.
eabadger

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 10:06:47 AM »

thanks for responses, we do have our own fab place, when is equired they did lots of teeth sucking but said yes, about 8 hours work at £60 an hour plus £50 for material.
but the original bit snapped on the teeth, and carried on rotating, looks like iseki forgot to harden as it chewed up pretty bad leaving a gap two bits dont slot together so could be 1 maybe 2 mm out when done, big job to put back in dont want to do that and it doesnt work.
we considered slotting both bits and putting a tab in, followed by migging on the lathe, but would then need teeth re-cutting.

all in all i just thought a classic ferguson for €600 with parts as cheap and plentiful as chips, but does the width mean we need a new (2nd hand) rotavator?

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 10:21:38 AM »

Yo Steve,
         I would give the older Masseys a miss, especially the 4 cylinder which is impossible to start. The 3 cylinder 35s are little pets for older farmers, Great for bouncing along the road with a link box full of shopping but not for serious work. There is a breed called Universal that have been around in Ireland prior to 1980. They punch way way above their weight in the pulling stakes and are very good on diesel.
They are made in Romania (Originally Belarus, I think) to a Fiat design. They are sold with red paintwork that turns a dull orange after a few years but don,t let that fool you. The mechanics are very good.
  Around this neck of the woods, they would have had one of the best names of any small tractor. They always got the heaviest and roughest of work.
                                                                         Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2018, 10:33:07 AM »

Woops,, if you can get a classic T20 Fergy for £600,00
                  Grab it. they don,t come any more reliable than that But the Universal will run rings around it for speed and crossing bad ground.
    A good friend of mine had his own tractor repair garage and during the winter nights, i used to help him strip them down and rebuild them.
I remember him opening the parts box and taking out the first of the new Massey 35 chrome unbrushed liners..
  Ah Feck it" he was muttering,, He was very good living and never cursed ,He knew immediately that those replacement chrome liner would be a disaster and they were.
  I used to disappear out of his garage when he tested injectors, he died of throat/lung cancer.
                                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
JohnS

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 10:39:15 AM »

A quick google search brings up

https://www.tradus.com/en/search/farm-c50/tractors-t51/make-iseki/?query=iseki+tu

and

https://www.mascus.co.uk/iseki+tu/auctions%3d1/+/1,20,relevance,search.html

might give you something to follow up.  Is there a Japanese dealer you could go through instead of direct to Iseki.  Google translate works wonders.

2.1kWp solar PV
eabadger

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 10:45:58 AM »

i have tried iseki france and uk, both said no, they promised to put in touch with japan but so far.....

ferguson built here in france, the petit gris, yes we can get them cheap enough, i was looking at the ff30 same as a tea20 but french hotchkiss diesel engine and 30hp.
i was also looking at massey harris pony 820d, cute thing but odd german 2 stroke diesel engine, but only €1000 restored and road registered.

any thoughts on rotavator size?

steve

1kw wind turbine.
renewablejohn

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2018, 08:00:08 PM »

I have Holder tractors similar to Iseki but 4WD and well made being German. Best thing all parts are ex stock direct from the factory in Germany just quote the the parts manual reference number. As for the Iseki if you can get a blue print of the part then I know a gearbox manufacturer in Bolton who I have used in the past can get it manufactured and hardened. Would keep well clear of big ag tractors as to clumsy for what you require.
eabadger

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 07:56:08 AM »

pic attached shaft broken just on gear mesh, the mess where it span may be plus of minus 2mm so vary, may know the gear place you are talking about as work is only in rugley.
we have loads of land and veg space was kindof limited to size of tractor, we may do more with a big one.
but i can afford to chip in a grand not 5 or 6.
we need to ruff cut the medows and scrub out brambles every year, plow rotavate and tow a tipping trailer, maybe the dangerous looking hedge cutters as well.

old neighbor is saying no tractor he is going to jack it in and retire, if we could afford his place would be good, but we cant see new neighbors being so tolerant.
his place should be cheap but he has seen prices that brits used to pay

steve

* iseki shaft.png (268.19 KB, 360x640 - viewed 215 times.)

1kw wind turbine.
eabadger

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2018, 08:01:16 AM »

massey harris pony diesel, small and cute and not expensive here, but still wider than iseki so will rotavator work?

* pony diesel.jpg (12.15 KB, 259x194 - viewed 227 times.)

1kw wind turbine.
oliver90owner

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2018, 11:11:16 AM »

Yes, the width does matter.  A simple fact that the machine should be as wide (or wider) than the tractor to avoid running on the previous cultivated strip.  Rotovators have a central drive shaft as an off-set one would produce other unwanted forces.

Same for a front end loader - the bucket needs to be wide enough to clear the track of the front wheels or the bucket would rise as the wheels run up the heap.  

Same as why, when ploughing, the ‘furrow wheel runs in the furrow and not on the previous ploughed furrow - in these cases the plough would be offset on the drawbar or tractor linkage, such that the first furrow was properly lined up.  Crawler ploughs allowed the crawler to sit in the unploughed land.  

Hay balers either pick up the swathe fom one side or directly behind, so the tractor wheels do not run over the crop.  
Mowers are always offset, so the tractor does not flatten th grass before cutting (except for the first round, of course).  Combine harvesters are an obvious example - although there were tractor driven versions about 60 years ago which were offset.

All good sensible agricultural practices!

Edited to add that there will be garden tractor breakers who dismantle these machines and sell them as spare parts.  That shaft does not look too expensive to produce - the whole tractor only produces a few kilowatts. 

Are the shiny surfaces on that shaft for another one, or two bearings?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 11:20:54 AM by oliver90owner » Logged
eabadger

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2018, 12:07:56 PM »

that is pretty much what neighbor said, me the disbeliever.

i have tried all the breakers i can and they all say no, must be an issue as neighbor is on 3rd one.
iseki say was not an official eu import so no parts, i suspect they must be same as one imported model but they refuse to look.
one breaker here had loads of iseki prise force shafts but all different!!

yes the shiny bit are both bearing runs, i think our fab place said about £500 to make.
i just thought the parts supply wont improve in the future so get out now.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
renewablejohn

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2018, 01:39:07 PM »

that is pretty much what neighbor said, me the disbeliever.

i have tried all the breakers i can and they all say no, must be an issue as neighbor is on 3rd one.
iseki say was not an official eu import so no parts, i suspect they must be same as one imported model but they refuse to look.
one breaker here had loads of iseki prise force shafts but all different!!

yes the shiny bit are both bearing runs, i think our fab place said about £500 to make.
i just thought the parts supply wont improve in the future so get out now.

steve

Looks a simple shaft to make for a gearbox manufacturer just make sure you get it properly hardened. Obviously far easier if you could get a blue print from Iseka to work from. Would also make an accurate quote easier.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: