navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: tractors?  (Read 3911 times)
eabadger

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 09:10:51 AM »

as per suggestions visited local engineering shop, €300 15 days to sort so well happy.
but whilst waiting found a ff30ds begging for a home at €400
family love it and doesnt look out of place sizewise

steve

* ff30 arrived.JPG (138.65 KB, 478x640 - viewed 261 times.)

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 09:31:55 AM »

Goodness me Steve,
             Well done. I had a few of those in my time. You can do a pile of work with a link box, The lift is generally very very good.
   I had a couple of TVO versions which were much lighter on the front than the T20 diesels. The TVO was much better on bad ground or taking turf out of the bog.
                                                          Biff,
  NB,     I never let my kids sit on them, they were very accident prone little tractors, A good roll bar is a must, 75mm c 5mm wall tubular .They are the law here in Ireland.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
eabadger

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 09:38:59 AM »

had already decided on a rollbar, these were built after the 20's until about 60's i think, tweaked engines gave just over 30hp, still got the small pto shaft though so going to replace and fit an overrun clutch on it as last owner frightened himself to death when the inertia in the topper tried to push him down a hill.
no time to play at mo, maybe over the winter in the still drafty barn.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
brackwell

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 09:40:16 AM »

E400  What a bargain !  A good one in England could be10x
eabadger

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »

needs work...
but they are there or there about here for one to do up, massive amount of used farm stuff over here, reading the history of ferguson france it seems they were flooded post war to get country producing again.
local tractor graveyard has at least 5 of these in, if not more, hired the massive but excellent trailer from them, 2.6m wide on our narrow roads was an pleasant journey.
got the bug now just txted another one local.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
renewablejohn

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2018, 03:02:37 PM »

Be very careful with kids around. A lot of the safety controls you find on modern tractors in respect of brakes, handbrakes, pto. hydraulics, do not exist on old fergies. ie everything is live.
eabadger

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2018, 06:08:50 PM »

thanks for concern, they dont go on it running and to be honest i have not mastered the KIGASS start system so i dont expect accidental starts, but battery disconnected also.

steve

1kw wind turbine.
offthegridandy

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2018, 08:13:15 PM »

Er brakes? I don't think the one I used to drive had them  Must have been an early model!!

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
2.5 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 4.5 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr free standing Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw
eabadger

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2018, 07:10:21 AM »

brakes are great, the last owner drove it non running down his steep drive to load on our tilting trailer!
have to admit i was was worried it would end up on top of car

steve

* tractor loading.JPG (107.21 KB, 640x480 - viewed 175 times.)

1kw wind turbine.
Tigger

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2018, 08:25:41 AM »

Tractors and brakes, I'm sure we've all got many stories to share. 

Mine involves being stood/sat in a trailer towed by a Leyland tractor (245 I think) which unlike the other Fordson or David Brown tractors on the farm at that time had disc brakes instead of drums.  The plus point of the Leyland though was it was a bit quicker on the road, something that was exploited at every opportunity.  On this one occasion though, my cousin had the need to make use of the brakes as we were going downhill at a fair old lick and he assured me afterwards that it was only the gentlest of touches he applied to the brakes but the result was that one of the brakes grabbed hold of the disc and wasn't willing to let it go.  Meanwhile, a fair bit of smoke was pouring off the locked tyre as he fought to keep the tractor in a straight line and then for no apparent reason at all the brake released so of course being teenagers, that was immediately followed by a rush of (steady) acceleration and we were back to full speed again without a care in the world or any concern for the fact that a few tons of tractor and trailer had been out of control on a public road.

Oh to be young and carefree again  Grin

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2018, 11:00:51 AM »

Years ago,
        There was not the same kind of attention paid to the safety aspects. When I was 14 or so, I was racing home with a load of gravel. The tractor was a major with balloon tires on the rear for the beach.
  One of the best bits of road was a new stretch about a half a mile downhill, very wide, I had approx 4 to 5 ton of gravel on the trailer and instead of slowing down, i just let the tractor speed up, like I had done on other occasions but this time for some reason, the trailer began to sway about, I tried to dab the brakes when the two came in line but that made things worse till eventually the whole team was galloping all over the road,
  There was half a turn play in the steering that was corrected by having the nearside front tire softer than the offside one, There was a swinging hitch, that could travel across a good foot either way with holes for the pin ever 2 inches, It meant that you could in certain circumstances tow a trailer of implement offset to the tractor either side. There was wicked play even with a decent tight fitting pin. I don ,t know how I managed to get to the bottom in one piece. There was no traffic, not even a bicycle nor human on the road. It was a warm summer,s evening around 6ish
  There was a big green water pump beside the road at the bottom on the flat, I coasted up to that, got off and ducked my head under the lion,s mouth, This old buck came out of the house nearby with a walking stick and a straw hat,  "Chesus sonny, yee musta be workan wild hard indeed" He had,nt a tooth in his head and was mad for gossip. I was clutching the spike on top of the pump, still shaking.
  I could hardly stand. I remember telling a friend about it weeks later and he laughed till he cried..Before i got back on the major, I noted that the walls of the balloons were black with scorching. You could smell it. I delivered the load and backed the tractor into a muddy hole for a few minutes and ambled home.
  For a long time after that, while drifting off to sleep, I would grab the bakelite covered steering wheel and hold on for dear life, pushing my feet straight out , down both side of the box to the steel plate., . There was a terrible lash and thump as the tractor and trailer  came to the apex of each big swing, getting bigger every time. threatening to throw me over the side every time. Then I would wake up.
 I was quite a careful and safety conscious little gasur after that,
                                                      Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
todthedog
Global Moderator

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2018, 04:44:23 PM »

Blimey!
Love it Biff, Tigger!
Ah the days when the old queen was young and we could get out of a chair without signing! wackoold
extrahappy
oliver90owner

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2018, 08:46:19 PM »

None of my ~12 tracors has a roll bar.  Half only have one brake - hand operated - and several are hand cranked, only, for starting.

Back in the early 70s, I was running a load of corn to the dryer, when on a bend at the start of a steep hill (where my brother used to knock the tractor out of gear and coast down the hill) I came accross a vehicle stopped with the driver chatting to the driver of a tractor coming up the hill.  Good job they saw me coming as I may not have been able to stop.  Hard on the brakes and dropping down the gears (I was already pretty well flat out in 10th).  I was aware that the torque plate on the select-o-speed tractors was suspect (changing down below 1500rpm, while ploughing, had already consigned two plates to the scrap heap), so that was a little worrying. 

I chewed up several yards of the road surface and part filled the tractor cab with corn, as one wheel appeared to be almost driving backwards.  I was very close to that vehicle as he accelerated away down the hill.  Likely the driver coming up the hill knew our rig, but I was past him and did not (probably could not) stop, so did not see the expression on his face!  I did wonder, afterwards, whether it was a look of terror or a huge laugh!

In 1977, a corn trailer I was towing snapped off the drawbar hook as I closed the throttle for a blind bend.  I simply throttled up and drove around the bend while the trailer went straight on and into the ditch.  They shovelled up as much corn as they could, the following morning.  Very lucky there was nobody coming in the other direction!

When using the old Major, we often climbed along the chassis rail to depress the ‘excess diesel’ button on the fuel pump to get extra power towing silage trailers up a slope flat out in 6th gear.

I also recall my brother pouring petrol into the air cleaner of a Major as a starting aid.  I always poured it in the petrol cap before adding some, but he couldn’t be bothered.  We vacated the workshop when the engine started and raced away.  How that engine did not disintegrate, still amazes me.

Just a few of the tricks we used to get up to, back 40 years or so.  There were a lot of them!
eabadger

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2018, 02:14:41 PM »

just got its road and injury insurance...

€55 a year extrahappy

1kw wind turbine.
biff
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2018, 02:30:57 PM »

Good Lord,
             That is a bargain, possibly because it is a classic,?
                              Biff

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: