navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Micro Hydro - Low Head water intake canal and outlet pipe  (Read 677 times)
Pile-o-stone

« on: September 12, 2018, 03:41:41 PM »

Hi, I was wondering anyone knows if these products are available for purchase in the UK? The US website that manufactures low head turbines also supplies what they call a 'water intake canal' and an outlet tube. The canal is shaped to create a vortex in the supplied water, prior to it going down the outlet tube. The low head turbine sits in the canal outlet.

The canal and outlet pipe are also shown in the diagram below:

5.18 kWp PV system (3.68 E/W & 1.5 E).
Tombo

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 05:10:10 PM »

I think Navitron used to sell a similar turbine but they removed their hydro selection about a year ago (i think). Another company has been selling them in the UK for 15 years or so under the powerpal brand.
offthegridandy

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 06:35:17 PM »

Hi Pile O,

I suggest you get in touch with Hugh Piggott http://scoraigwind.co.uk/   he's also involved wth Hydro, look at the Powerspout tab on his web site.  He will give free unbiased advice and has good product knowledge as he is totally Hands On.

Andy

8 KVA Lister TS2 Startamatic Genny
24 Volt 1000amp battery bank
Outback VFX3024
4.6 Kw PV array permanently ground mounted
Outback Flexmax 80
2 X Flexmax 30 PV CC
0.75 Kw wind turbine H Piggot design 2.4 Mtr Dia
12 Mtr lattice Tower.
u/floor heating from oil boiler cross linked to 12 Kw WBS
Pile-o-stone

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 09:22:49 AM »

Thanks for the information guys. I was interested in sourcing the canal and outlet pipe, rather than the turbine itself, as they both look really robust (especially the connection between the two) and it seemed really sensible to have the canal shaped to start the water spinning prior to it hitting the turbine and going down the outlet tube.

I guess if they're not available in the UK and too difficult/expensive to import, I could have a go at forming concrete into the shape and using a twin walled pipe for the outlet, though I'm thinking it wouldn't be as robust.

I'll have a ponder. Cheers for the info. Smiley

skyewright

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 09:47:14 AM »

I guess if they're not available in the UK
Huh

Taking the hint from Tombo's post I managed to find them in the UK. I'm not sure if it would be reasonable to simply post the link, but they are there so perhaps you could try a(nother) search?

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
Pile-o-stone

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 09:00:25 AM »

Ahhh, gotcha. Sorry, I'm a little distracted by an on-going house re-wiring. Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: