navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are batteries worth it, does this calculation work?  (Read 6435 times)
Scruff

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2018, 12:08:24 AM »

I am constantly reminded of a slight variation on the square hole round peg type game when reading some of the visionary speculation regarding integration of batteries, EVs etc with the grid. Normally a straight forward puzzle and great cognitive development for infants but have you ever watched a child who has been given access to shapes that look more attractive than the correct ones but don't quite fit, with an added incentive of a brownie point if they do manage to fit them in. Good fun to start with but certain to ends in tears and tantrums.

Agree

Scruff - you have me paranoid about my Makita batteries. They look absolutely fine on the outside, sort of..... well, fit and forget. Are you telling me there is something fiendishly unknowable lurking inside?

Not at all, they're among the best in the business and the bigger the better in terms of longevity...double the price = 3 times the battery.
Samsung cells usually.

All I'm saying is if you stick a light bulb where a drill ought to be and forget about it, where the per cell voltage drops below ~2.6V they will never recover because they are electronically failsafed. You'll have to reflash the BMS to get it to play nice and most people can't.
This also means if you attempt recelling them then you have to maintain power from an external source to the BMS at all times and not let the smoke out with a conductive pokey jabber in the process.

They are state of the art batteries...if you're not in the habit of invalidating warranties you have nothing to worry about.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 12:10:10 AM by Scruff » Logged
jonesy

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2018, 02:07:50 PM »

This also means if you attempt recelling them then you have to maintain power from an external source to the BMS at all times and not let the smoke out with a conductive pokey jabber in the process.
Dell used to, and probably still, so this. Really ticked me off at the time as I trashed the bms during a re-cell. I will have to do my research for the next tools. I've re-celled my Dewalt 3 times and onto the 2nd chuck.
I understand why they do it; 2 new original batteries for my dewalt cost just shy of the new replacement.

1.1kWp PV & SB1700. 7kW log burner.
Scruff

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2018, 02:14:19 PM »

I can vouch for ACER batteries being completely dodo dead when the laptop says so.
I made an underwhelming boomstick from them.

Never had as much success with recelling and just whacking a 12V plug on 'em.

My hitachi 14.4v drill is 15 years old.
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #63 on: September 23, 2018, 08:13:36 PM »

Purely as a matter of interest, It appears that Nissan have teamed up with Eaton to re-purpose used EV batteries for use in home energy storage.

<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBlFmLyJchM>

I know this article is a few years old, but has anyone noticed anything new from this partnership? did it develop?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 08:15:38 PM by Nickel2 » Logged

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
RIT

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2018, 01:05:06 PM »

I know this article is a few years old, but has anyone noticed anything new from this partnership? did it develop?

They have an active product called xStorage, but when I got a quote it was well above other solutions we have touched upon in these forums.

2.4kW PV system, output can be seen at  - https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=49083

Why bother? - well, there is no planet B
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: