navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken solar tube?  (Read 753 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2018, 08:52:20 AM »

There must be a reason that so many nsolar heaters where installed ,  and i agree , why hang on to a company that is not able to replace one tube for  a reasonable price , you own that property  for some future now so ....   i would just replace that tube myself

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2018, 10:27:04 AM »

I detest this kind of rip off,
                        But there is a problem. The agreement is between the vendor and the Company and legally speaking you cannot really interfere. You can make access easy and keep and eye on it.
  You could,,when it is complete, contact a local radio station and tell them exactly, What it took to fix the array,   How long it took,  And  What it cost.
   It is just one of those very unfair little acts being done by a company that is aware of the situation, Knows the vendor does not want to lose the sale and screws the vendor properly.
  It is entirely up to you as to how you want to proceed but you lose nothing by doing nothing, yet if you interfere, you could find yourself at the wrong end of it, If you fix it yourself and the company arrives to fix it and still bills the vendor. That way, you leave yourself without any guarantee on the repair.
                                    Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Jonzjob

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 01:55:32 PM »

As I have said a couple of times, it is the vendor who contacted the install company to come and do the repair. On Monday we will be phoning our solicitor who did the conveyancing and tell him the situation, because we have no intention of being landed with that bill !

If anything else happens with it afterwards then I will be doing the repair myself and I will be watching what is done and SWMBO and I have already been talking about contacting the Rip off Britain bunch, or whatever they call themselves these daze?

I am still mystified at how a thrown tennis ball could break that tube. It is right at the very top. I remember, about 10 years back one of the guys on here was talking about a time when he was kicking a football at his array, just to see what happened. Nothing happened, the tubes were fine..

I will get a photo of it tomorrow when we go back over there.

John.

Never forget that you are unique!
Just like everyone else.

https://johnamandiers.wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2018, 02:40:25 PM »

This is a lot of hullaballoo about nothing,
                            All you have to do is issue your solicitor with the instruction, to make the vendor fix the array as soon as possible. If you contact the company and open correspondence with them, you could find yourself being liable for the bill. They could ask you, in writing, "Do you want us to come and fix the array as soon as possible"   (innocent enough)
      You could answer,,"yes of course hurry hurry "   and then add a load of little bits of info saying that the vendor is going to pay you,, that it is not your responsibility,,That you have nothing to do with the cost of the repairs...  But the bit at the start where you say,,  "Yes of course,, hurry hurry"  can be construed as a written or verbal contract.
   Window salesman and naughty RE installers employ a batteries of legal beagles and you just don,t want to give them the scent of easy money.
  Roger said "Just fix the thing yourself and say nothing"  I recon that is the best advice you got so far.
                     Biff
  I have bought and sold quite a few houses both here and in England. Solicitors,, if they are on the ball,protect their clients from such little hiccups by slapping a financial indemnity on the vendors money, sometimes as much as 10%. It encourages the vendor to right the problems immediately.

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
Jonzjob

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2018, 03:36:55 PM »

Believe me Biff, after the very frosty reception I had from that firm I will not be talking to them again! We are in no hurry to get it fixed.

Below is the situation of the array and we will wait to hear what the solicitor has to say.

As for a hullabaloo about nothing? It is one tiny flaw in an almost 2 year very stressful double move back from France and we want to get the dammed thing right.

* Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 15.40.48.png (264.76 KB, 562x378 - viewed 102 times.)

John.

Never forget that you are unique!
Just like everyone else.

https://johnamandiers.wixsite.com/johns-w-o-w-1
Antman
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2018, 08:06:43 AM »

I reckon that throwing a tennis ball hard enough (at) for a spaniel to break a tube is grounds for animal cruelty  wackoteapot
One tube lost won't make any difference as the array is clearly grossly oversized for hot water and still won't be anywhere near enough for heating in winter. You may find you can reduce the size of the array to get a sensible hot water period without excessive dumping or stagnating.
Antman

20 x 47mm, 172 l cylinder, Heat Dump, 15 x Sanyo HIT-H250E, SB4000TL,  Nestor Martin IQ13 WBS
DIY Solar System Support at http://www.handyantman.co.uk/antman.html
All support is voluntary and free of charge. I'm not employed by Navitron so responses may not be same-day
Iain

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2018, 08:21:47 AM »

Hi

.One tube lost won't make any difference as the array is clearly grossly oversized for hot water and still won't be anywhere near enough for heating in winter. You may find you can reduce the size of the array to get a sensible hot water period without excessive dumping or stagnating.

Then you will have loads of spare tubes!

Iain

1.98kWp PV (11 x Sharp 180 and SB 2.5)
20 x 65mm Thermal and 180ltr unvented
Powervault 4Kw
9000ltr rainwater storage   Plymouth
http://www.bdpv.com/fiche_utilisateur_en.php?util=iain
http://www.sunnyportal.com/Templates/PublicPageOverview.aspx?plant=cba8d47f-bf09-4533-a105-4303b353f20f&splang=
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: