navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lister ST1 3.5 KW generator value  (Read 1216 times)
Mike McMillan

« on: October 08, 2018, 06:52:32 PM »

One of these for sale here on the IOW. Apparently been in the garage for years as a standby generator, but hardly used. Certainly looks new and runs very sweetly. Would be just about enough to charge the batteries in mid winter gloom. Has a BKB generator and comes with a starter motor (haven't tried it). What do you think I should offer him?

Mike IOW

* generator-5669473-1_800X600.jpg (73.76 KB, 800x600 - viewed 252 times.)

Off grid; 4KWH install charging Rolls 24v 1000 A.H. batteries with 3 Tristar controllers. 3KW Victron Inverter with FIT meter on output. Relay driver automatically opens circuits as battery charges. 6 x 15 experimental solar collectors feeding 250 L. tank.  Angus wood gasification boiler.
biff
Global Moderator

An unpaid Navitron volunteer who lives off-grid.

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 08:28:41 PM »

That is a beautiful item,
                Extremely practical and economic and if you buy it and check it over properly before you put it into service, it will last you forever. The started is a big thing which will come in handy
  as you get older. I could not be bothered swinging .I like the button or key.
  Paul is your man and knows these backways. If it were me and it was near hand I would give a grand but I know that Paul will say that you can pick them up for 4 or 500 quidss on fleabay.
  Love is in the eyes of the beholder, If you love it,, don,t lose it. It will outlive at least 3 of my 5kw silent running Chinese jobbies @ 800 a pot.  Go for it.
                                       Biff

An unpaid Navitron volunteer,who has been living off-grid,powered by wind and solar,each year better than the last one.
camillitech

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 08:37:22 PM »

Personally Mike, I wouldn't touch it unless it was very cheap. That's not a Lister generator, that's a Lister engine with a generator stuck on it and it's designed for use outside on a building site. It is not a generator for serious 'off grid' use, though it could very well be adapted. It would need to come off that frame and be mounted solidly in around a ton of concrete. The exhaust would have to go and the fuel tank would need mounted remotely and made larger. As it is it would shake itself to bits and cover everything in soot. I guess it's down to how you would use it really, if you're happy with it living outside under a tarp on some soft ground, you don't have neighbours and don't mind going outside to flash it up then it's the 'dogs danglies'. On the other hand if it's to be kept in a nice shed and made to start automatically whenever your batteries get low then it needs a lot of work.

Good luck, Paul

http://lifeattheendoftheroad.wordpress.com/

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
camillitech

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 08:51:50 PM »

Thanks for your faith Biff but I only paid a grand for this'

OK, it was 1100 delivered to Skye, I'd go 500 for that one on the IOW if I lived there. Like I said, it depends on Mike's situation, if he's got OCD like me then  he needs to do much work on it. If it's gonna live outside under a box, tarp, lorry trailer or old fish farm float then it's perfect  Grin

'Off grid' since 1985,  Proven 2.5kW, Proven 6kW direct heating, SI6.OH, 800ah Rolls, 4.75kW PV ,4xTS45, Lister HR2 12kW, , Powerspout pelton, Stream Engine turgo, 60 x Navitron toobs and a 1500lt store. Outback VFX3048 and 950ah forklifts for backup,
Mike McMillan

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 08:38:55 PM »

Thanks for your input guys. I have had bad experiences with generators recently. A few years ago I bought a 2 cylinder 6 kw startomatic lister generator, which had been a standby generator in a commercial greenhouse for years. Was not a bad price, 400 including  a 12 x 6 ft greenhouse. Unfortunately, the generator part stopped working after a year as the sun had rotted out the plastic cooling fan and the bits shedded the windings etc.  Someone gave me a "modern" 6 kv sound shielded pramark, which is my main source of topping up batteries in the depth of winter. However, I like to have a backup as I have had a few "wobblies" with the pramac, such as the cooling fan coming loose and also refusing to start on occasion. so I bought a nice little chinese copy of a hyundi for 600 smackers, which ran for 50 hrs before the electronic fuel valve gave up. Fixed that and then at 200 hrs (1 month after the guarantee ran out) the engine died, big time. sooo, I shelled out 1000 for the genuine hyundi, which looked identical to the chinese copy, but was far better put together. Can you believe that the electronic fuel valve after 50 hrs (they sent down another one), but then at 300 hrs, 1 month after the guarantee ran out, no output from the generator. I have checked back to the brushes,which seem ok, and apparently it could be the slip rings, what ever they are. So, I need something the wifey can start while i am away..which leads me back to the present Lister. It is on wheels, but I figure I can wheel it to the garage when I am away and run it as a temporary unit. So he acceptd 400, which might be a good thing, or not! we shall see. maybe it will charge my electric Zoe...

Mike

Off grid; 4KWH install charging Rolls 24v 1000 A.H. batteries with 3 Tristar controllers. 3KW Victron Inverter with FIT meter on output. Relay driver automatically opens circuits as battery charges. 6 x 15 experimental solar collectors feeding 250 L. tank.  Angus wood gasification boiler.
camillitech

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 10:22:10 PM »

Well, you weren't bitten at 400 Mike, 100 per kVA used to be the going rate but these things are now becoming sought after, Pramac and most of these modern Chindian things are pretty 5hite for 'off grid' use and I'm sure the Lister will give you years of service if you treat it right. Either keep it on it's wheels and use it occasionally outside on soft ground or mount it properly in a 'bunker'

Something like this. The thing with these babies is that they need mounting solidly for serious 'off grid' use, 1 ton of concrete for a single and 2 for a twin. Mount them solidly in concrete and you can stand a pound coin on the rocker cover and it'll not fall over. Mount them on rubbers, a railway sleeper or anything else and they'll vibrate like feck, work harden all your copper wiring and shear exhaust mountings regular as clockwork.

Good luck, Paul

Tigger

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »

>>Mount them on rubbers, a railway sleeper or anything else and they'll vibrate like feck, work harden all your copper wiring and shear exhaust mountings regular as clockwork.

That's got to be the voice of experience there Paul  hysteria

30 tubes, south facing gable wall (Navitron Fornax Trial System).  Hunter Herald 8, integrated boiler hooked up with Oil Boiler via H2 control panel.  Scrounging fire wood wherever possible Smiley
camillitech

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »

>>Mount them on rubbers, a railway sleeper or anything else and they'll vibrate like feck, work harden all your copper wiring and shear exhaust mountings regular as clockwork.

That's got to be the voice of experience there Paul  hysteria

Nah Tigger,

just sound advice from a man who worked for Lister and on Listers all his life. I once said to him something about a mate of mine mounting his SR1 on railway sleepers cos I thought it was a good idea. He replied "Railway sleepers, rubber mounts and their associated problems is my 'bread and butter'. You can stand a pound coin on the rocker cover of an SR or ST2 when it's mounted properly (I've done it), loosen just one of the 6 mounting nuts a quarter of a turn and it will fall over, I kid you not. This chap worked for Lister when every remote cottage, inn and shooting estate in the Highlands had a Lister running 12 hours 'day in day out'. He also told me in all the years he's worked on them he'd only ever condemned one engine and that was a decades old SR1 generator in a pub that often ran for days on end and had never had an oil change, the guy just kept topping it up  Grin He said when he removed the sump plug nothing came out cos the oil had gone stiff  hysteria

eabadger

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 05:58:08 PM »

think we have all tried the chinese ones and all agree for an extra few quid they could be good, but they are not, shame.
i had the old ones too, but mine was too old and parts not available.

went for a SDMO 9000 brilliant, but not without issues, wiring shears off on relay, i think as paul says, it weighs a ton but must be the vibration.

steve

1600w PV main array at 24v, excide 2v 1000a forklift cells now x 2, 320w PV secondary array at 12v. Enfield 1944 ex RAF 5.6kw diesel genset (now in pieces, big ends gone), Petter AC1 28v diesel charging set at 2.8kw.
1kw wind turbine.
26kw wood stove back boiler to underfloor heating and dhw
gravyminer

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 05:07:50 PM »

I still have one of these Lister / Petter generator sets like the one in the O.P.

I used to have it as a standby for the not infrequent mains failures of the early 21st century.

Its a pig to crank start when cold and its incredibly noisy in its regular form.

I poked the exhaust down a land drain and it worked really well at quietening the noise

Ahh being told off on Navitron ...........  it was ever thus  whistlie

https://www.navitron.org.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10764.0.html

gravyminer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: