navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gridwatch .....  (Read 3120 times)
ecogeorge

« on: October 12, 2018, 08:57:13 PM »

Wind production at 10.03Gw !!!  31.37% wow................................
azps

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 09:01:05 PM »

Wind production at 10.03Gw !!!  31.37% wow................................

No, it's more like 12.7 GW, 38.7% http://energynumbers.info/gbgrid

Gridwatch doesn't do it properly.

Highest I've recorded (10 years of data) is 14.3 GW (17 March this year), 45.9% (21 September this year)

Highest combined wind + PV, 20.1 GW (14 June this year), 55.6% (28 July this year, August data missing)

It's been a record-breaking year

NB there's always a choice of what to use as the denominator  for the percentages. Total supply? Total generation? TSD demand? ... etc

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:10:05 PM by azps » Logged

ecogeorge

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 09:04:59 PM »

wow -all that free non polluting energy , how fabulous.
Be interesting to see percentage as demand drops later tonight .
How can they get wind from scotland to cornwall tho ............
dan_b

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 10:18:34 PM »

Nuke has plummeted for some reason ?

3.06kWp SolarEdge system with a split array:
2.18kWp 10x South facing, plus 4x West facing 880W

Mk1 ImmerSUN DHW diverter
4kW PowerVault Battery
JohnS

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 11:20:29 PM »

It is not all free.  I got paid around 50p for each of the 4 units my of produced today and I bet that a lot of you got paid more.

Ok, the marginal cost is virtually free but as an early adopter I have not yet recovered my capital cost 8.5 years in.

2.1kWp solar PV
azps

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 06:12:53 AM »

Nuke has plummeted for some reason ?

Torness 2 out for annual maintenance, due back mid-Nov.

Hunterston B out to measure how dodgy the graphite blocks have become, due back in two stages, half in a fortnight, half in mid-December.

A reactor at Heysham 2 has just tripped out.

Dungeness B out for annual maintenance til Nov/Dec.

https://www.edfenergy.com/energy/power-station/daily-statuses

oliver90owner

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 07:39:45 AM »

It is not all free.  I got paid around 50p for each of the 4 units my of produced today and I bet that a lot of you got paid more.

Ok, the marginal cost is virtually free but as an early adopter I have not yet recovered my capital cost 8.5 years in.

Your post indicates PV only.

I got paid nothing extra for any generation.  I bet a lot of others got paid less.

The energy is definitely free.  Free of cost, free of CO2 emissions, free of pollution (apart from some noise and perhaps reflection/strobing effects at times from turbines).

There are no free lunches - there is always a cost.  If you are complaining about pay-back after that short time, I have little sympathy.  You have another 15 years of FITs to be making a hefty return on your investment - and the panels will likely still be using free energy long after that date.  And that leccy will be costing far more, from the grid, in 15 years time than it is now.
linesrg

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 05:14:16 PM »

Is that taking account of your FIT payment for production + export and the money saved for electricity not imported? I guess that would be the difference between installing 2.1kW against the maximum possible?

Regards

Richard

1.28kW on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000 + 1.44kW/ SB3000TL-21 (FIT), 1.28kW/ SB1700 (ROO/FIT). CTC GSi12 heat pump/Ecosol/Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3off Navitron 4720AL Solar ET & Immersun T1060/T1070/T1090. 3.375kW/ SMA SB3600TL-21 and a Sunny Island 4.4M-12 c/w 15.2kWh battery and a Renault Zoe.
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »

I thought the idea was to save the Planet, not fill up your bank account, I'm not trying to take the pi55 but if we all think in terms of how much can I make or save and payback etc etc , we are f88ked.  See thread of a similar title.

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
brackwell

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 08:38:55 PM »

All PVers are helping to save the planet it is just a fact that financially it has not paid for itself yet and that is true of a lot of things we do to save the planet.   I think it is thoroughly reasonable that we can save the planet and save money eg insulation. There are so many things we can do that will save the planet and save us money.  In fact thats the point, one does not have to spend huge sums to save the planet eg charge the EV from the PV

Ken
Nickel2

Method mixed with Madness

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2018, 09:34:50 PM »

I have built my own PV system, without FIT. At the present rate it will pay itself off in 9-10 years. I do it because I enjoy experimentation with electronic stuff. There is always an update/modification to improve the system and it gets done.
If I had a hobby that cost me 10 a week the money all goes - gone, disappeared. With my hobby, the reward is getting sufficient return from my efforts to feel a sense of satisfaction that my hobby outlay costs me less every week.
I'll never recoup the outlay, but it still costs me less than 20 fags a day to enjoy what I do.
20 a day = 70 per week = 3640 per year.
My entire system has cost me about 1000, so definitely a saving of some sort.

1.140kW mono south-facing at 49*
EpEver 4210A at 24v
24V 400 Ah battery. (4x200Ah FLA)
EpEver STI1000-24-230 pure sine inverter
Of course it'll work. (It hasn't caught fire yet).
Philip R

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2018, 11:38:44 PM »

Azps.

None of EDF AGRs are on annual maintenance. Some are on Statutory outage, generally every 2 years.
For Heysham 2, one unit suffered a loss of excitation. If you did not know, that is on the main generator. And that operates the protection system to produce a trip of the steam turbine. The generator and the Reactor, a class 1  trip.

On the hunterston section, graphite inspection outage, not checking "dodgy" graphite. As you put it.

Graphite sampling has been undertaken for many years on the gas cooled reactors   both Magnox and AGR.
The graphite is degrading  due to radiolytic decomposition and distortion stress effects. it will dictate end of life for these reactors.

Philip R
knighty

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 05:42:59 AM »

everyone seams to be jumping on JohnS a bit.... it didn't look like he was complaining to me, about payback or investment return... just making a comment about it
desperate

Backache stuff!!

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 12:10:22 PM »

everyone seams to be jumping on JohnS a bit.... it didn't look like he was complaining to me, about payback or investment return... just making a comment about it

Knighty, JohnS,

sorry, I did not mean to sound like I was having a pop at anyone, It's just that I talk to a lot of punters who seem to think only in terms of how much is in it for them rather than how we can save the planet. Although to be honest we don't need to save the planet we need to save ourselves and that ain't gonna happen.

peace  surrender

Desp

www.jandhbuilders.co.uk

still a crazy old duffer!
kristen

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 12:36:17 PM »

It's just that I talk to a lot of punters who seem to think only in terms of how much is in it for them rather than how we can save the planet

I only tell all my rich-barsteward-mates, who sit on their hands until Government provides a handout <sigh>, how much  I am saving ... not the cost (money for that, afterall, came out of a completely different pocket Smiley )

Winter Heating Oil would now be circa 7K p.a. but post insulation etc. and changing Oil to Biomass my log-fuel-bill is 1K ... excluding the time and effort to cut and split it all of course (mind you: warms you twice) and the EV is between 2p and 3p a mile for fuel, and negligible service costs ... but of course cost me an arm + both legs as EV still an expensive capital-purchase item.  But no need to tell them about that bit ... Cavernous for cargo too, and goes like a rocket ... I can't begin to imagine why they are still trogging around in their outdated huge-mobiles gas-guzzlers ... as I keep telling them.

Just realised that I can now also taunt them given that their lack of action has just cost them a grand on the reduction in EV subsidy Smiley
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: