navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: solar air heater flow rate  (Read 315 times)
billi
Global Moderator

« on: October 28, 2018, 03:25:38 PM »

Hi there

Am having a fan running to push warm air from a conservatory    as a temporarry  setup , but cannot find the airflow  specs for that model , its about 8" propeller diam and says about  20 watt ...., does the tric  ... and heats the whole house today  at temps outside about 5  degrees

Would like to take one glass panel out of the window and fit  a fan idea with a termostat , found these  and they would fit  (2 of them )  if they deliver what is described it sounds the job 200 m3 per hour then ..... what do you think  ,  would the airflow of the temporarry one be much higher ?
https://www.technikcoach.de/en/silent-belueftungseinheit-fuer-ut-rack-und-rfa?fbclid=IwAR1V7VIlO_c4Jk85857LqDgvDADXA5uJ5tuXSjeeM4ECP9YEErjGSMlQDmE

fan details here

https://www.blacknoise.com/site/en/products/noiseblocker-it-fans/nb-blacksilentfan-series/120x120x25mm.php

* fan.jpg (350.21 KB, 984x738 - viewed 103 times.)

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
rogeriko

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2018, 04:49:49 PM »

Those are just computer fans. Go to any computer repair shop and they will give you a bunch for free, then you can try them. They will not move as much air as the big one.

knighty

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2018, 07:00:36 PM »

just check how many watts the motors are... for a fan watts = air moved

you big one is 18watts, those little ones are 1.8watts

what size do you need?
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2018, 07:16:36 PM »

..... not as easy  i am afraid ,  some  bathroom vents have lot more watt but much lesser air flow than some computer fans , but i think they have to  move air through longer pipes .... so might  need more pressure to overcome

Hmm ...... but if i have a look at the  established air collectors  than the big one of those with 6m2  collector area has about 250 m3 airflow ..... but i guess here as well  air has to be pushed through pipe lenght

so i guess i  try to find something  with at least 200 m3  as  the greenhouse  should create   more heat  with about  25 m2 glass roof and wall

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
skyewright

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »

Any chance of allowing (controllable) high & low (height)  vents between the house & conservatory, then just letting convection do it's thing to transfer & mix the air?

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
MeatyFool

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »

This!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trombe_wall

Meatyfool..
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 01:55:00 PM »

A Fan is  needed to push the warm air fast into the rooms , without the fan and the window to the room open , the greenhouse heats up a lot  and cause the fan is  having a thermostat it will decide itself when to start and stop , so one has not to worry too much of heatloss  back into the greenhouse , cause window is closed then and the fan inbuilt into the window  gets a flap

skyewright

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 02:06:10 PM »

A Fan is  needed to push the warm air fast into the rooms , without the fan and the window to the room open , the greenhouse heats up a lot  and cause the fan is  having a thermostat it will decide itself when to start and stop , so one has not to worry too much of heatloss  back into the greenhouse , cause window is closed then and the fan inbuilt into the window  gets a flap

Even with a fan (at high level), a low level return flap to let colder house air into the greenhouse would help improve circulation (& make life easier for the fan, so it could work more efficiently?).

Edit to add:

PS. I just noticed that it was 24-25C in our conservatory, so I've opened the door & windows between here & there, and internal doors. I'll close when it gets down to 21-22C. For us at least 2-3 degrees difference seems adequate to encourage pretty effective heat distribution into the house. I can see the temps from my computer if I wish, but once you've been doing it for a few years you can get a reasonable idea from just being 'aware'. One of the joys of working from home...  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 02:14:36 PM by skyewright » Logged

Regards
David
3.91kWp PV  (17 x Moser Baer 230 and Aurora PVI-3.6-OUTD-S-UK), slope 40, WSW, Lat 57 9' (Isle of Skye)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: