navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 272 times)
delta351

« on: November 02, 2018, 04:20:41 PM »

Hello all, I am new the this forum just thought I would say hello.
I have a 2.5kw solar panel system that I had installed free about 7 years ago and now I am looking into buying a 9.6kw battery system
https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/sofar-storage/sofar-pylon-9600.html

what is people thoughts on this system?    I am also in Amateur radio so I am concerned about the inverter transmitting spurious rf, the inverter on my solar is a Growatt and I have never had a problem with RF emitting from it.

Thank you for your comments in advanced  onpatrol

linesrg

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 05:30:08 PM »

Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

My initial reaction is that the battery system you're looking at is large given the amount of PV you currently have. My system isn't perfect but I have 1.675kW of solar PV feeding a Growatt 5kWhr battery system and to cut a long story short, it needs more PV.

It's OK on a sunny day in the middle of summer but you have to look at how much sun you're going to benefit from at less ideal times of year.

My suggestion would be to maybe look at battery systems that give you the capability to be charged off both Solar PV and, if you have it, Economy 7 overnight.

Regards

Richard

16 BP380 on a Lorentz ETATRACK1000/SB1700, 16 Chinese 80W/SB1700, 16 BP380/SMA SB1700. CTC GSi12 + Ecosol + Flowbox 8010e/Gledhill ASL0085 EHS/3 Navitron 4720AL solar ET panels and Immersun T1060/ T1070/ T1090. 7 Tianwei 235W/ Aurora PVI 3.6kW/ Growatt SP2000 c/w 5kWhr battery and a Renault Zoe
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 05:37:16 PM »

.... i guess i would get more PV first or  think about it in parallel  to a battery investment,  ! i would say you can double your autonomous times from the grid with more PV  and sure including a battery , as far as i can see the cells used in that storage have quite good  cycle facts ,

But as said  over 6 month over the year , if you use electricity wisely during the day , than there is not a lot to store ...

I hope , as its your first post here it was no intention to place an advert  Wink

Billi

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
JohnS

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 05:55:54 PM »

Was the install free because it was a rent a roof?

You might have to notify them of the modification, although it should not adversely impact the rent a roof.

2.1kWp solar PV
delta351

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 06:50:50 PM »

Thank you all for the welcome and your comments  genuflect

I do have a PV solar system rent a roof I would need to contact them If I added a battery but on the plus side I would only be feeding my fuse board and not making any changes to there system also I can't make any changes to the size of my solar so my 2.5kw is what I will have to live with.

So on the battery front what size would be the right size 7.5kw battery's? my wife is at home in the day but she does not use any more electric then if the house was empty, we only do our washing once a week at the weekend there is only 2 of use living here. over a 24 hour period we use 9kw I checked our meter to get the fingers (this was yesterday) and from our electric bill from March this year we used 15kw in one day.

Economy 7 it looks like its around a 16p in the day an 9p at night.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 07:36:16 PM by delta351 » Logged
JohnS

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 07:10:31 PM »

Those figures for electricity usage look to be on the high side for just two people.

How do you heat both the house and the hot water?  Any big electricity consumers eg Aga cookers, air condtioning?

2.1kWp solar PV
delta351

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 07:28:04 PM »

Those figures for electricity usage look to be on the high side for just two people.

How do you heat both the house and the hot water?  Any big electricity consumers eg Aga cookers, air condtioning?

Hi JohnS, no aga cookers or aircon. But I do have lots switched on, 2 pcs,  server (smalll) , 2x network switch's, router, 2 wifi units, NAS drive, UPS, CCTV DVR & 4 cameras, burgle alarm, out side lights, 1 fridge freezea, 2 amazon boxes, cable box, combi boiler.
and all my Amateur radio gear that's only on when I am using it some times all day at the weekend.
kristen

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 09:18:27 AM »

I do have lots switched on, 2 pcs,  server (smalll) , 2x network switch's, router, 2 wifi units, NAS drive, UPS, CCTV DVR & 4 cameras, burgle alarm, out side lights, 1 fridge freezea, 2 amazon boxes, cable box, combi boiler.
and all my Amateur radio gear that's only on when I am using it some times all day at the weekend.

Might be worth getting a meter to check the consumption of those.  The sort of thing with a 13AMP plug, and 13AMP socket, that you just put in line with the Kit and measure, over time, how much it uses. (You'll need to get one that measures low-power usage, such as when on Standby. Navitron used to sell them, I haven't looked recently)

I did that on a Fridge Freezer that the previous people generously left behind for me ... was horrified at the consumption ... hoovered the Air Intake (looked like it had never been done!) and that sorted it out, but it was still so high I sold it on eBay for a sensible amount of money and treated myself to something much more energy efficient!

You might find Kit with better quality power supplies would pay for itself, in Electricity Savings, over a couple of years ... most Kit has cheapest-possible, least-efficient, power supplies Sad

We have isolator switches on all stuff like TVs - so actually turn off at wall when not watching, rather than StandBy - which can consume far too much ... and to my way of thinking, even a fraction of a Watt, multiplied by N-bits of kit in my house, and times that by every house in the country - it's multiple power stations running just for everything everyone has on standby ...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:27:10 AM by kristen » Logged
nowty

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 09:22:14 AM »

If you are using circa 10kWh per day and you only have 2.5kW of PV your summer generation is not going to be much more than that so you have very little to store even during the summer months.

So first get more PV if you can, if roof is full, stick some on a shed, garage or ground mount if you can.

If however you want to go the E7 night time charging route then the Sofar Solar system is an ideal choice and as its AC coupled you should not need to get permission from the rent a roof outfit.

I and some others on this site have one and have bought from thinkrenewables (formally homeswitch) which is slightly cheaper - https://thinkrenewables.co.uk/sofar-solar-96kwh-battery-storage-system
At least 3 batteries are preferable as that allows you the max charge/discharge performance of the AC inverter.

Caveat being its debatable if its financially viable or not, but if like me you want to, you want to. fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:27:29 AM by nowty » Logged

10kW of PV installed and 45+ MWh generated.
Usable battery storage of 50+ kWh.
Heat storage of 25+ kWh.
6kW Ground Source Heatpump.
200,000+ litres of water harvested from underground river.
A few cold frames and raised beds.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: