navitron

Renewable Energy and Sustainability Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Anyone wishing to register as a new member on the forum is strongly recommended to use a "proper" email address - following recent spam/hack attempts on the forum, all security is set to "high", and "disposable" email addresses like Gmail, Yahoo and Hotmail tend to be viewed with suspicion, and the application rejected if there is any doubt whatsoever

Recent Articles: Navitron Partners With Solax to Help Create A More Sustainable Future | Navitron Calls for Increased Carbon Footprint Reduction In Light of Earth Overshoot Day | A plea from The David School - Issue 18
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wind Powered battery to charge EV  (Read 588 times)
Tiff

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2018, 11:30:17 AM »

Except that the government will charge for road use or somesuch.  Which is fair enough - I'm currently avoiding paying any Fuel Duty / Road Duty, because government has decided to subside EV adoption, that will end at some point as I am using the road and do need to pay for its construction and upkeep.

But you are paying for the construction and upkeep of the roads.
billi
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 01:43:12 PM »

Hi leghorn

Considerations:

AC input needed to avoid FIT loss.

Our 7yr old Evance system has a SMA inverter without communications.

as far as i can see  2011 for a  5 kW  Windturbine there was a FIT payment of about 34 pence  for the consumed units and only 3.7 p  for export ( hope i am roughly right )
So say you can increase your own usage  with a battery idea  to utilise say 5000 moer KWh  from your 11000 kWh performing turbine ..... that could generate upto 20000 GBP  over the remaining 13 years

But you should supply more info on consumption , own use and  milage you drive

So a good battery can last over 10 years   and with  a  battery based inverter  that is AC couppled to your SMA Inverter , its pretty simple  to conect a battery idea to your windturbine ( and maybe some PV  as well ( as Fit is still existing , nort much but still )

So for example   a 5kW Victron Quattro  battery inverter (good quality 5 years warranty from Netherland)  costs about  2700 GBP plus some bits an pieces  and a 40 kWh battery approx 2300 GBP   https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Victron-Energy-On-Grid-ESS-Energy-Storage-Kit-48V-5KVA-230V-70A-Charging-/302083059559

Just not sure if the Inverter can candle the  start up watts of your heatpump

If i am right about FIT payments  , such an Idea , sounds like a no brainer to me , then you get payed 34 p  when driving your car    Grin

Billi
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 01:54:51 PM by billi » Logged

1.6 kw and 2.4 kw   PV array  , Outback MX 60 and FM80 charge controller  ,24 volt 1600 AH Battery ,6 Kw Victron inverter charger, 1.1 kw high head hydro turbine as a back up generator , 5 kw woodburner, 36 solar tubes with 360 l water tank, 1.6 kw  windturbine
kristen

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 02:07:03 PM »

Probably ... but not via Fuel Duty Smiley
heatherhopper

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2018, 02:36:32 PM »

Leghorn. Presumably this is just another query about time shifting renewable production?

Although off-grid I have similar wind production and am reasonably confident that I could charge an EV without loss of FITs via a fairly standard diversion method. I say reasonably confident as I have no knowledge if the limitations of connecting an EV charger would preclude such. Depends how flexible you are with regard to timing of that diversion - presumably you are concerned about conflict with the heat pump demand? Personally I would not contemplate charging my battery bank to then charge an EV battery at a more convenient time.

Not sure what you mean by a SMA battery? Is this a SMA back-up system?

Off grid 6kW Proven 2.8kW PV, SMA SI/SB/WB Inverters, 4x576ah Rolls batteries @ 24v, 25kW Biomass Boiler, Wood Stoves, Spring/Well water. Sorry planet - I did try.
Tiff

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2018, 05:34:14 PM »

Probably ... but not via Fuel Duty Smiley

Yes, but probably via income tax and certainly via VAT.

The point being the roads are not funded directly and solely via VED and fuel duty. I don't think that you should say you feel the need to make a contribution when you already do - a financial contribution and don't forget the contributon of reduced air pollution.

In the short term we will soon see VED rates increasing for EVs.

Longer term, some form of road pricing or pay per mile. While fair, its not something I would be comfortable with due to concerns over privacy and privatisation.

kristen

« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2018, 06:29:07 PM »

I don't think that you should say you feel the need to make a contribution when you already do - a financial contribution and don't forget the contributon of reduced air pollution.

No disagreement from me, but nonetheless I feel that I am avoiding a tax.

Subsidy provided for Purchase of EV and for Fuel (loss of revenue from Fuel Duty) and Road Tax ... and I had 100% first-year-writeoff too as its a business car, and London congestion charge exemption ...

Generally speaking only the well-off benefit ... I save 4,000 a year on fuel compared to ICE, and 50% of my EV-juice is provided at work (for free). I'm down to about 300-quid of my own money for nearly 30,000 miles a year ...

On the upside its gets us a leg-up to EV replacing ICE

However, if I can consider the Fuel Duty that ICE drivers pay the equivalent of a Carbon tax then I'm happy Smiley
kristen

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 06:30:12 PM »

Oh, and the Benefit-in-Kid tax is less (apart from a current crazy-blip)
Tiff

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 08:04:58 PM »

I don't think that you should say you feel the need to make a contribution when you already do - a financial contribution and don't forget the contributon of reduced air pollution.

No disagreement from me, but nonetheless I feel that I am avoiding a tax.

Subsidy provided for Purchase of EV and for Fuel (loss of revenue from Fuel Duty) and Road Tax ... and I had 100% first-year-writeoff too as its a business car, and London congestion charge exemption ...

Generally speaking only the well-off benefit ... I save 4,000 a year on fuel compared to ICE, and 50% of my EV-juice is provided at work (for free). I'm down to about 300-quid of my own money for nearly 30,000 miles a year ...

On the upside its gets us a leg-up to EV replacing ICE

However, if I can consider the Fuel Duty that ICE drivers pay the equivalent of a Carbon tax then I'm happy Smiley

Yes, avoiding a tax but in this instance there is a benefit to everyone else (cleaner air). It's a tax avoidance that is well within both the letter and the spirit.

It's similiar to the arguements that the FITs only benefitted the rich. With an EV, at some point it will become a very cheap to run second hand car for someone.

Everyone benefits from cleaner air.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: